shape
carat
color
clarity

Branded Square Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PhillyGirl

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I've been checking out several nice cuts (I seem to prefer square-ish ones) and I would like to know what the relationship is between quality and mark-up for a number of vendors. Specifically, I've already looked at (in person) Tiffany's Lucida and Hearts on Fire's Dream Cut. Clearly both are more expensive than your average square cut, but is there a difference *between* the branded cuts in terms of price and quality? Other branded cuts I've seen (but on the internet, not in person) include the Flanders cut, the Cushette, the Quadrillion, the Lucere, the Royal Asscher... so in the end, my question is:

What is the best quality for price? How would you order these stone from highest to lowest markup (assuming same size/color/clarity)?

I think it would be silly to spend more (in mark-up) for a lower quality/poorly cut diamond.

Thanks for your time...it seems the more I investigate, the more questions I have!

Cheers,
PhillyGirl

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yo! Philly Girl; :) :

Branding alone does nothing for cutting. Some cuts are unique to a brand name, and some are not. Also, some very finely cut diamonds are not branded at all. Because some unique cut diamonds look different you need to look at them for what you will like or dislike.

There is no proper order to put these stones you mention in some value line up. Each has varibales that will make them different enough that they can't just be ordered so simply.

PhillyGirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply!

In light of that, I guess a better question to ask is:

Is there a square (or square-ish) cut out there (branded or not) that is known to be the most, um, sparkly?

From what I've seen so far, I can tell that the HoF Dream cut seems to have *alot* more sparkle than any radiant or princess cut? Is that true or am I making this up? (Or did the jeweler just show me a poorly cut radiant to make me think that I had to get the Dream cut?)

I've read in some of the older threads that radiants (and to a certain extent princess cuts) reflect alot less light than other cuts...is that true for all square cuts?

Again, thanks for taking the time to help a novice!

Cheers,
PhillyGirl :bigsmile:

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have requested a couple of vendors that are likely to have what you want to respond...Possibly, they will read their email shortly.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Dave,
Thanks Dave yes we do. Brilliant Fire. :)

This was from Jan at www.DiamondBrokersOfFlorida.com

Tee

Rough_Rock
Hi there, I also love square shape diamonds. I would suggest reading the book "How to Buy a Diamond" by Fred Cuellar. He has a website where he responses to submitted questions too. Anyway, I learned some important things about diamonds. This book and that website can help you get the best diamond for your money. I think I made an excellent decision and investment on my diamond choice. My advice is to READ READ Read, be smart, do your reseach, and don't rush into buying anything. T
P.S. Please leave your email address and I can tell you where I purchased my diamond-but you have to know your stuff.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Tee, while Fred's book has some useful information for novice buyers, he misrepresented some facts and uses scare tactic to make people buying from him.

His site serves the same goal. Just be careful.

Tee

Rough_Rock
Hi Leonid,
Thanks for your advice. I did not purchase my diamond from Fred though. I wasn't aware that he sold to the public. I was very careful in checking with other resources for information. Information is power. Anyway, I bought my diamond from a supplier. T
P.S. Keep up the good work.

:wink2:

barry

Shiny_Rock
You might want to consider our SuperbCert Princess

Barry
www.superbcert.com
"When Good Isn't Good Enough":wavey:

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results