shape
carat
color
clarity

Brand new ring spins

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
Hi all!
Just got my new wedding and e-ring set on Friday. I''ve worn the rings since then and I am very upset that the wedding ring spins on my finger. I''m constantly adjusting it to sit where it is suppose to.

Was I not properly sized or do rings always spin and I just didn''t notice as my last wedding ring was a plain gold band?

TIA

nhwhazup

Rough_Rock
I would go back to your jeweler and show them the spin of your ring. I have not had that problem with rings under normal circumstances. Once in a while in the winter (live in NH) when I am cold and my fingers shrink, my rings will turn but that is fairly rare. I have a heavier wider platinum setting which is wide right up to the diamond but do not have a problem with it turning. I was concerned about the same thing due to due to the chunkier style and heavier metal. I had my rings sized exactly to 5 and 7/8 and have not had any problems. Sounds like your rings could be too big for your finger. Was your other band loose and did you get the same size for the new rings? Or do you have a huge rock?
2.gif
I've seen some with rocks so big they seem to cover the whole finger and I imagine they would be hard to not tip nevermind hard to hold up the hand.
9.gif

Your jeweler should be able to look at how your rings fit and offer some help.

Sheila

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
It's only my new wedding ring that spins. My e-ring with the huge SuperbCert does not spin. LOL My new rings are the same size as my last rings. However, my new wedding ring is not as wide as my old band nor is it a comfort fit.

I'm just irritated that to size my ring down that the jeweler will have to cut the ring?
cry.gif
It's platinum with milgraining around the edges.

nhwhazup

Rough_Rock
You know now that you mention it if you wear your rings like 99 percent with wedding band on your finger closer to your hand it makes sense that it might spin whereas the engagement ring wouldn't. On my finger the further back area actually is a little smaller than where the engagement ring sits.

That's a bummer. Does it really bother you or is it something you can get used to? Sounds like it is the same all the way around right? So it will look the same and won't wear weird. Does it feel looser than the engagement ring?

I can sympathize with you...I hate to get anything sized. What I like even less is when you get separate rings and the color of the gold is just a hair off. I had my diamond reset recently and made sure the designer cast the platinum for both the engagement and wedding band together to totally match.

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
OH it really bothers me. After spending so much on this wedding set, it better be perfect! The wedding band has 16 diamonds that are bead set from side to the other. So, when it is in the right place it looks like an eternity ring. However, most of the time I look at it, I see 1/2 diamonds and 1/2 plain band.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
The width of a band influences ring size. Talk to your jeweler to explore your options. You may be able to get a bridge.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
On the same subject, what about those small beads of gold or platinum a jeweler can put on the inside bottom of your band to hold it in place better. I don't know if there is a technical name for this, and if there is I'd like to know. Would this be an option so that the ring would not need to be cut for sizing? Also, if you are like me, I need a little extra room to get the ring over my knuckle, but once it is on my finger, it is a little loose.

Diamondlil

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
Problem solved! The jeweler soldered the 2 rings together with platinum. Now, neither ring spins around. I have to admit I was hesitant to have them soldered, but he did explain by doing so, that I was extending the life of the rings.

OK Back to staring at my rings again
love.gif

barry

Shiny_Rock
All's well that ends well.

Barry
www.superbcert.com

nhwhazup

Rough_Rock
Talonnov,

So how did they do the soldering? Just a couple of spots connecting the bottom or what? Can you notice the solder spots or do they just stay kind of hidden. How long did it take for them to do it? The gemologist that did my independent appraisal suggested that I have mine soldered. I wasn't sure if I wanted to solder or not but maybe now with your good experience I might go in that direction.

So do you have photos of your rings?

Talonnav

Shiny_Rock
It took maybe 5 minutes for the jeweler to solder the two rings together. He just put a tiny bit of platinum maybe 3/16 of an inch across at the very bottom. I can see it because I know where it is, but if I handed the rings over to someone, they would have a hard time knowing that they were soldered.

I'm still working on a good picture or two of my ring. It's going to take two people to hold the ring, loupe and the camera.

Nate

Shiny_Rock
Correct spelling is "solder".
1.gif
Pronounced "saw-der" though.

It helps to have a tripod and something to hold the ring. This way nothing can move, ruining the picture, and you can get it just right. I had trouble taking good pictures through a loupe.

Glad that you found a solution to your problem! My fiancee doesn't want her rings soldered though... she says if she goes somewhere she can't wear the big diamond engagement ring, she still wants to have a ring on. I think I agree with her!!!
tongue.gif
I'm getting her the Vatche 3 stone truffle and I think we'll have a hard time finding a wedding ring to go alongside it unless we choose a simple thin band. She is from Peru and like most Latin Americans they wear their engagement ring on the right hand. So maybe she'll just do that... I dunno. We'll figure it all out when I give it to her (she knows its coming).
10.gif
Hope it doesn't spin!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results