shape
carat
color
clarity

Brand new necklace broke while taking it off :(

tomato

Shiny_Rock
Just need to share my pain with those who understand.

I fell in love with a diamond necklace and wore it out. Kept looking in the mirror all day admiring how pretty it was!

Well the loops between the sections are so fine that carefully removing it snapped right between two of the sections! I’m scared to take it back to the jeweler. What if they say I am stuck with it??

IMG_8108.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where did it break? Can you share a photo?

I imagine your jeweller will be able to fix it for you no problem.

Think of it this way: If you don’t take it in for repair you’re definitely stuck with it in broken form :)

tomato

Shiny_Rock

Think of it this way: If you don’t take it in for repair you’re definitely stuck with it in broken form :)
The loop on the right is intact. The loop on the left is missing half the structure. I am not even a strong person to know how I’d do that!
IMG_8111.jpeg IMG_8112.jpeg

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Definitely take it back! They should be about to repair it easily and more importantly it should be able to withstand normal handling. Unless they are planning on accusing you of ripping it apart on purpose with your mighty strength (which makes no sense) they should be taking it back with an apology to you quick smart!

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
The loop on the right is intact. The loop on the left is missing half the structure. I am not even a strong person to know how I’d do that!
IMG_8111.jpeg IMG_8112.jpeg

Oh dear, what a shock you must have had, @tomato .
I agree with @mellowyellowgirl. Take it back to the jeweller. The same thing happened to one of my necklaces, twice. The links were too fine for the weight of the necklace. After the second repair – which involved replacing the links with slightly thicker ones, the necklace has been intact. The jeweller didn’t charge me anything for the repair and even apologised profusely. I did not have to pay for the extra gold that went into the reinforced necklace.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

+ a billion. @yssie beat me to it. Let us know what unfolds.

tomato

Shiny_Rock
Take it back, I would have expected that chain to break (IMO it's too thin) but not the actual diamond setting!

I’ve noticed “dainty” aka thin and easily breakable is in style right now, possibly because it’s cheaper to produce. The jeweler does offer a larger version but it’s also more carat weight and 3x the price. Well outside of my budget for now and this one wasn’t cheap either.

Hoping they’ll be able to fix it; otherwise they have another couple necklaces that I also like that don’t have joints like this one does.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree it's technically easy to fix. Whether the shop that sold it has that level of expertise behind the counter somewhere remains to be seen. Most do not even have a "bench" and just pass things off to a cast of contractors (right?).

I'll be the contrarian: I think it may be too fragile to wear. We have always upgraded the "'with chain" that comes with even nice pendants. It's extra money but it makes everything so much lower stress and so much more wearable. Spouse has long hair and wears hats and gloves (I mean in the cold, not to the Ascot Opening Race). It also helps the pendant stay in place and not defy gravity. No help for this pendant but you can get a tougher chain that is still petite-looking -- like a regular loop chain with slightly thicker-gauge metal (as opposed to a more solid-looking chain like a snake).

tomato

Shiny_Rock
I agree it's technically easy to fix. Whether the shop that sold it has that level of expertise behind the counter somewhere remains to be seen. Most do not even have a "bench" and just pass things off to a cast of contractors (right?).

I'll be the contrarian: I think it may be too fragile to wear. We have always upgraded the "'with chain" that comes with even nice pendants. It's extra money but it makes everything so much lower stress and so much more wearable. Spouse has long hair and wears hats and gloves (I mean in the cold, not to the Ascot Opening Race). It also helps the pendant stay in place and not defy gravity. No help for this pendant but you can get a tougher chain that is still petite-looking -- like a regular loop chain with slightly thicker-gauge metal (as opposed to a more solid-looking chain like a snake).

I can upgrade the chain, but the main body doesn’t sit on the chain, they’re like big links of their own. I had the same thought - is this too delicately made to actually wear? I didn’t buy it to be a special occasion piece, so if I need to baby it and only wear it once in a while, it’s going back.

Edited to add - the shop is owned by a wife and her husband does the work. So it should be repaired in house.

It's such a pretty necklace! Certainly, the jeweler will repair it. But, as you and others have pointed out, if it's so delicate that it broke in half after its maiden voyage, it's more than likely going to be one big headache moving forward. And it'll probably only be a matter of time before it falls off your neck during wear and is lost. Take it back to the shop and explain that you love it, but in order for you to keep it, every station link would need to be reinforced. If they balk, I would demand a refund. Good luck... we've all been there.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Agree with the others here. If a necklace is so light weight it breaks like this, it is not a quality item. I agree with Autumn, the least they can do is make sure this does not implode or worse, fall off somewhere and is lost to you. I would also insure this necklace for that reason.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
go
I can upgrade the chain, but the main body doesn’t sit on the chain, they’re like big links of their own. I had the same thought - is this too delicately made to actually wear? I didn’t buy it to be a special occasion piece, so if I need to baby it and only wear it once in a while, it’s going back.

Edited to add - the shop is owned by a wife and her husband does the work. So it should be repaired in house.

good luck, im sure it will be fixed with no problem
this is the kind of thing that happens to me - break something before i even get to use it
but im weary of the modern minimilitsic tiny teeny chains
but your necklace is beautiful and most definatly should not have broken first wear

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve noticed “dainty” aka thin and easily breakable is in style right now, possibly because it’s cheaper to produce. The jeweler does offer a larger version but it’s also more carat weight and 3x the price. Well outside of my budget for now and this one wasn’t cheap either.

Hoping they’ll be able to fix it; otherwise they have another couple necklaces that I also like that don’t have joints like this one does.

I'm hoping they'll be reasonable as well. I would also possibly ask just about upgrading the chain to something sturdier, that shouldn't cost a ton.

tomato

Shiny_Rock
Update; the salesperson wrote back on her day off (shop is closed Sundays), apologized profusely and told me she’d exchange it for a new one when they open on Monday.

I don’t have a lot of time that day, so I’m thinking of having them keep it to check the new one well & upgrade the clasp to a lobster. I can pick it up next week.

tomato

Shiny_Rock
It’s beautiful! I did this with a bracelet once. I’m sure they can fix it for you! =)2

Funny you mention bracelets because I asked them if they could make the same necklace into a bracelet as well to have a matching set! :)

Update; the salesperson wrote back on her day off (shop is closed Sundays), apologized profusely and told me she’d exchange it for a new one when they open on Monday.

I don’t have a lot of time that day, so I’m thinking of having them keep it to check the new one well & upgrade the clasp to a lobster. I can pick it up next week.

I'm glad you received some satisfaction! But I don't think it's enough that they just "check" a new one. Those links look so petite and fragile. They may be intact now, but won't withstand wear just like the first. I still think they need to rework them. Otherwise, I would choose another piece. That is just my 2 cents and, of course, the decision is yours!

tomato

Shiny_Rock
I'm glad you received some satisfaction! But I don't think it's enough that they just "check" a new one. Those links look so petite and fragile. They may be intact now, but won't withstand wear just like the first. I still think they need to rework them. Otherwise, I would choose another piece. That is just my 2 cents and, of course, the decision is yours!

Good point. This is what I get for being impulsive!

Good point. This is what I get for being impulsive!

As your impulsive cosmic twin, I say don't blame yourself.
respect_01.gif
Really, how could you have known? Dainty doesn't always translate to fragile. However, they should know better, IMO. Hey as long as they make it right... that's what matters now.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take it back and have them repair it. They should also examine the other links in case others are likewise affected. You wouldn’t want it to break and fall off!
Sometimes with gold, the casting can be porous. I had a gold necklace that broke link after link. The jeweller said that the likely cause was the tempering during manufacture not being done correctly. You can’t tell by looking but the links were faulty. Only necklace I’ve owned that did this.

tomato

Shiny_Rock
I took it back and exchanged it for a new one on the spot, no questions asked. I told them I wanted to replace the clasp and chain for something sturdier, but I didn’t have time to set it up today (on my way to work) so I can bring it back any day and they’ll take it and do the work and return it to me. After a shop closed very suddenly soon after I gave them a piece of jewelry to work on and I lost the ring, I don’t like leaving expensive pieces if I can help it.

They mentioned it is a new design, so either that one was unusually flawed or the design just isn’t structurally sound. I can exchange it toward something else if I still feel worried as well.

IMG_8133.jpeg

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I took it back and exchanged it for a new one on the spot, no questions asked. I told them I wanted to replace the clasp and chain for something sturdier, but I didn’t have time to set it up today (on my way to work) so I can bring it back any day and they’ll take it and do the work and return it to me. After a shop closed very suddenly soon after I gave them a piece of jewelry to work on and I lost the ring, I don’t like leaving expensive pieces if I can help it.

They mentioned it is a new design, so either that one was unusually flawed or the design just isn’t structurally sound. I can exchange it toward something else if I still feel worried as well.

IMG_8133.jpeg

That is wonderful - love that they replaced it rather than fixed it! Hope this one gives you years or enjoyment!

Glad to hear they stand by their work! That's more important than an errant defect. Good luck!!

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The service being good is a good sign thankfully, I hope they continue to stand by it.

tomato

Shiny_Rock
I wore it today for a funeral and it held up fine, though I touched my neck a couple of times to confirm it was still there when leaving.

Still getting the clasp replaced this weekend though.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results