shape
carat
color
clarity

Bracelet catch dilemma

empliau

Shiny_Rock
So I wanted to buy a beautiful pearl bracelet, but I already have a pearl bracelet - not fabulous gemmy amazeballs, but akoya nonetheless - and I decided to wear it for a while, since if I love wearing it I can better justify the fabulous gemmy amazeballs. It has a fishhook clasp, and I have a lot of trouble doing it up. Taking it off isn't really a problem. Do other people have this issue operating a fishhook with one hand? Is there a secret technique that I'm missing out on?

Help, or in default of help, sympathy welcomed!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does get easier once you do it a bunch, so I guess you'll just have to wear your bracelet a ton more to get used to it? :bigsmile:

LOL. I use ball clasps. They're basically the same thing. I find them much easier to manoeuvre if the bracelet is a bit more loose on me. But if it really really isn't working for you, even after a while, you could restring with a different clasp - restringing a bracelet shouldn't run you more than maybe $25-50 USD, depending on where you are. That's not counting the cost of a new clasp of course.

But yeah... I vote just wear it a whole bunch. It'll relax and loosen up with some wear, too.

mamong

Rough_Rock
I can totally relate . When I bought my bracelet from the main Mikimoto store at Ginza 7Y ago I asked a ball clasp instead of their classic signature clasp. The mechanism is quite similar to the fishhook clasp. A few days ago I went back there to have it restring. As I started to feel it’s getting harder to do the clasp with one hand, I asked the lady who assisted me if she could show me different clasps to replace it. She was very patient and super helpful, she brought in a couple of bracelets fitted with the clasps I was interested in so I could try them out. In the end I selected a lobster clasp; the least preferred design for me but a tad easier to do it with one hand. On the tab part of the old clasp a new marking was engraved to identify that it’s no longer associated with Mikimoto pearls. As I really like the old ball clasp I’m going to mount it and replace the silver clasp on my choker strand from Takahashi. Attached some picture of old and new and how I do it with one hand: by holding the bracelet against your chest while doing it ☺️ FA540A62-ED85-4476-989B-14561A867A93.jpeg
62FB3E4F-9336-4B75-94F0-199CADD24559.jpeg 921161CB-AD1D-481C-87E4-75553BCBDDC2.jpeg

Attachments

• DF67BC14-98F5-4886-8CBA-C25BD63BD80C.jpeg
    DF67BC14-98F5-4886-8CBA-C25BD63BD80C.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 18
  • E2AEA038-55A8-4785-BDE1-C83BF97C1413.jpeg
    E2AEA038-55A8-4785-BDE1-C83BF97C1413.jpeg
    165 KB · Views: 18
  • 14735CBF-C0C9-46D7-9A4C-650A49ABE4FA.jpeg
    14735CBF-C0C9-46D7-9A4C-650A49ABE4FA.jpeg
    110.8 KB · Views: 17
  • D6FF2855-FD57-41FA-94C4-ED3E2F39791B.jpeg
    D6FF2855-FD57-41FA-94C4-ED3E2F39791B.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 15
  • AF8F2B4A-8F83-44CC-8EE4-847E2961B127.jpeg
    AF8F2B4A-8F83-44CC-8EE4-847E2961B127.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 15

pearlsngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite bracelet clasp is a box clasp (tongue inserted in groove) with a safety catch. It's not hard to do it with one hand.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I hate fishhook clasps lol Especially the little ones ! There is a tool out there that's called a bracelet buddy . It's a stick with an alligator clip on the end. You can fasten the clip to one end and hold the stick facing back towards your wrist.then it's easy to fasten the clasp. Now it depends on the shape of the clasp and whether there's room to grasp with the clip .. but look it up as it might be helpful. You don't want a metal clip - there are some plastic ones around that wouldn't mark the gold. ( I wrapped mine with jewellers tape)

Clasps are the bane of my life.... try to find one that suits 14mm+ pearls... I've got a strand for Alabama and ended up having to have a clasp made by a Florida bench jeweller lol

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I'm not ready to restring, because I'm not sure I'll wear it. So I ordered a bracelet buddy - Thanks Katbran! and we'll see if it helps.

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I'll be interested to hear how it goes. I imagine some clasps work better than others in it but let us all know.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I'll be interested to hear how it goes. I imagine some clasps work better than others in it but let us all know.

This is shamefully late, but the bracelet buddy was such a help. I got one from Etsy and can do up my bracelet instantly! It's a total game changer.
IMG_4476.jpeg

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
excellent ! glad to hear it !

empliau

Shiny_Rock
Trying to show the beautiful mother-of-pearl I chopped off the top of the clip. Oh well. It is beautiful, though - repurposed flatware.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I use a paperclip that's half unwound. Thread it through on "stationary" clasp end, and hold the long part with my bracelet-hand's fingers against the inside/palm of my hand. With the bracelet held stationary, it's easy to fasten the bracelet!

Honestly, writing the above out is about ten times longer than fastening a bracelet. :lol:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
So I wanted to buy a beautiful pearl bracelet, but I already have a pearl bracelet - not fabulous gemmy amazeballs, but akoya nonetheless - and I decided to wear it for a while, since if I love wearing it I can better justify the fabulous gemmy amazeballs. It has a fishhook clasp, and I have a lot of trouble doing it up. Taking it off isn't really a problem. Do other people have this issue operating a fishhook with one hand? Is there a secret technique that I'm missing out on?

Help, or in default of help, sympathy welcomed!

i have trouble using two hands with a necklace with those things :(2

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I hate Fishhook clasps... too fiddly . I'd get it changed over to an Orbit clasp ( trigger less lobster clasp) or something easier to handle. Even a ball clasp is easier for me.

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I have my bracelet buddy, thanks to you, so I'm good. I asked Takahashi about a bracelet and I am gobsmacked at the price, so I'm sticking with what I've got for now. Let's just say that all those posts about the increase in akoya prices are *true*.

NY_Resonant

Shiny_Rock
I have my bracelet buddy, thanks to you, so I'm good. I asked Takahashi about a bracelet and I am gobsmacked at the price, so I'm sticking with what I've got for now. Let's just say that all those posts about the increase in akoya prices are *true*.

I think the best way to do a bracelet is to buy a 16 inch strand (Gem luster with minor flaws maybe) along with someone else who wants one and make 2 bracelets (With 4-5 extra pearls left over).

empliau

Shiny_Rock
I think the best way to do a bracelet is to buy a 16 inch strand (Gem luster with minor flaws maybe) along with someone else who wants one and make 2 bracelets (With 4-5 extra pearls left over).

I would like to, but a strand in the size I was looking at, baby pearls 3.5-4, small spots and medium luster - say the price is X. Same size, small spots, very good luster, 2X. Double price for increased luster, but still with spots. Takahashi says under 6mm have seen the largest price increases.

I did think of a double stranded bracelet, but I had thought small pearls would be less expensive. They are, just not *much* less, at least not right now!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results