shape
carat
color
clarity

"Boyfriend"

audball

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1353931225|3315589 said:
Okay all, when do you think it's appropriate that you can start referring to your SO as "future fiance?" Once he has the ring, once you've seriously talked about being engaged and KNOW it's in the future? Thoughts?
I don't refer to him as FF to anyone off these boards! I think that would feel awkward, personally! I started referring to him here as FF as soon as I felt that we'd get married. That's why we're all here, right? Because we're WAITING! :)

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
audball|1353942034|3315639 said:
Okay all, when do you think it's appropriate that you can start referring to your SO as "future fiance?" Once he has the ring, once you've seriously talked about being engaged and KNOW it's in the future? Thoughts?
I don't refer to him as FF to anyone off these boards! I think that would feel awkward, personally! I started referring to him here as FF as soon as I felt that we'd get married. That's why we're all here, right? Because we're WAITING! :)

Lol, I don't think I've ever used "FF". When I type, I read SO out as ess-oh. Eff-eff sounds weird to me.
I agree with aud that I'd NEVER use those words IRL! LOL!

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
madelise|1353953927|3315770 said:

Lol, I don't think I've ever used "FF". When I type, I read SO out as ess-oh. Eff-eff sounds weird to me.

There are SO many abbreviations in your last post hehe. SO as in capital so, not ess-oh ;))

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
pandabee|1353965207|3315927 said:
madelise|1353953927|3315770 said:

There are SO many abbreviations in your last post hehe. SO as in capital so, not ess-oh ;))

Ouch, my brain! :lol:

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
I don't think I'd use ff outside the forum, either. It does sound a bit weird, and I don't think others would pick up on it.

I'll just stick to referring to him by his name. And if people can't figure out he's my bf, then tough $hit for them. Haha.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
MBKRH|1353966751|3315947 said:
I don't think I'd use ff outside the forum, either. It does sound a bit weird, and I don't think others would pick up on it.

I'll just stick to referring to him by his name. And if people can't figure out he's my bf, then tough $hit for them. Haha.

hehe my thoughts exactly! I even feel stuffy referring to him always as "my bf" instead of his name because it sounds like I am making up this imaginary boyfriend...I used to work with a girl who always found a way to work "my boyfriend" into the conversation, as if she was so proud of the fact that she was able to score a guy :rolleyes:

misscuppycake

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, I've never thought to call him anything BUT boyfriend. Maybe that's because we are still relatively young but I don't know that I would suddenly start calling him something else if I was older and we still weren't married yet. I don't think it's juvenile at all; he IS my boyfriend.

I'm curious though - someone mentioned earlier that she uses fiance in job interviews. Why is this?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pandabee|1353968111|3315964 said:

hehe my thoughts exactly! I even feel stuffy referring to him always as "my bf" instead of his name because it sounds like I am making up this imaginary boyfriend...I used to work with a girl who always found a way to work "my boyfriend" into the conversation, as if she was so proud of the fact that she was able to score a guy :rolleyes:

I KNOW SOMEONE LIKE THIS, TOO! The same gal I mentioned in another thread that has been breaking up and getting back together, being engaged, out of relationship, single, delete as friend, add back as friend and is back in a relationship, etc etc etc. I hate the word "fiancé" cus of this, too. I seriously feel like these words, when used more than just ONCE in a conversation, sounds very desperate. See: http://youtu.be/ghCTZF61ey0

Missycuppycake - who mentioned saying "fiancé" in job interviews? I think mentioning ANY relationship partners during a job interview = fail. Potential employers have no business knowing your romantic life, and I'm sure they really DGAF. I used to be responsible for the hiring process at one of my jobs. If any of the ladies I interviewed mentioned their boyfriends or whatever, it would definitely make a negative impression on my mind. I just can't see ANY possible reason why one would mention their BF or fiancé. Moving to a new area bc of your BF? Tell them you're moving in search of new opportunities to grow.

Chewbacca

Brilliant_Rock
Was it calling your boyfriend 'finance' for rent/home loan applications, rather than job interviews?

We went the 'partner' route when applying for rentals.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

LOL I agree. I cannot remember the tv show where the girl kept saying "My boyfriend" over and over whenever she would speak. Hmmm, or was that "my fiance" over and over? Anyway, it was hilarious. I usually always referred to my dh (who was my bf at the time) by his first name whenever I was speaking about him to people who knew me because ofc they knew him too. And for people who didn't know if his name came up I would just say my boyfriend. I think it is pretentious to refer to one's bf as "future fiance" but that's just my opinion. When he is actually your fiance then fiance is a good way to refer to him but before that I don't know. It sounds like you are trying too hard if that makes any sense.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1354013335|3316319 said:

LOL I agree. I cannot remember the tv show where the girl kept saying "My boyfriend" over and over whenever she would speak. Hmmm, or was that "my fiance" over and over? Anyway, it was hilarious. I usually always referred to my dh (who was my bf at the time) by his first name whenever I was speaking about him to people who knew me because ofc they knew him too. And for people who didn't know if his name came up I would just say my boyfriend. I think it is pretentious to refer to one's bf as "future fiance" but that's just my opinion. When he is actually your fiance then fiance is a good way to refer to him but before that I don't know. It sounds like you are trying too hard if that makes any sense.

http://youtu.be/ghCTZF61ey0?

MBKRH

Brilliant_Rock
When M and I were apartment hunting, we were not taken very seriously at most places when we'd say "Oh, I'll have my gf/bf come back to take a look."
(we couldn't hunt together because of our work hours). They'd hand us a brochure and pretty much shove me or him out the door.

Finally, I figured it out, and started using "fiance" in place of bf. Believe it or not, the managers spent more time with me and treated me with more respect. How sad.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am still young enough where "boyfriend" would be appropriate and not seem out of place ( early / late 20's)
But even so in the relationship I am in now I hate hate hate it.
I recently got engaged so luckily I don't have to worry about it anymore, but that was only about a week ago.
He and I live together and have a 5 month old. Every time I spoke about him I'd call him by name. Saying boyfriend would choke out of my throat when I HAD to say it but I avoided it like the plague. In interviews he would call me his fiancée and when looking for houses we would say I was his wife. On here I put SO or FI even if he wasn't exactly my FI at the time.

You think boyfriend is bad. I had people saying " baby daddy"!! :oops: :nono: :angryfire:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1354014812|3316328 said:

hahaha!! I should have realized it was Seinfeld. Greatest sitcom ever IMO. Thanks for finding the clip Madelise. Hilarious.
:appl: And when anyone keeps saying "my fiance or my boyfriend" repeatedly instead of just referring to them by their name this is what I think of lol.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nielseel|1354019857|3316346 said:
I am still young enough where "boyfriend" would be appropriate and not seem out of place ( early / late 20's)
I recently got engaged so luckily I don't have to worry about it anymore, but that was only about a week ago.
He and I live together and have a 5 month old. Every time I spoke about him I'd call him by name. Saying boyfriend would choke out of my throat when I HAD to say it but I avoided it like the plague. In interviews he would call me his fiancée and when looking for houses we would say I was his wife. On here I put SO or FI even if he wasn't exactly my FI at the time.

You think boyfriend is bad. I had people saying " baby daddy"!! :oops: :nono: :angryfire:

I agree totally. I hate the whole baby daddy/baby mamma craze. Not sure when it became commonplace but really not cool IMO.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1354022064|3316366 said:

hahaha!! I should have realized it was Seinfeld. Greatest sitcom ever IMO. Thanks for finding the clip Madelise. Hilarious.
:appl: And when anyone keeps saying "my fiance or my boyfriend" repeatedly instead of just referring to them by their name this is what I think of lol.

Lol, missy, you just missed it. I linked it just a few posts above yours. I actually think of this scene every time ANYONE says fiancé, ever. LOL!! :lol: I loveeeed this episode. Hm, maybe my FB announcement post should be, "The dingo ate my baby" to see if anyone catches it!!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
madelise|1354053015|3316773 said:

Lol, missy, you just missed it. I linked it just a few posts above yours. I actually think of this scene every time ANYONE says fiancé, ever. LOL!! :lol: I loveeeed this episode. Hm, maybe my FB announcement post should be, "The dingo ate my baby" to see if anyone catches it!!!

Oh, I see that I did LOL! Just goes to show that when I post early in the AM or late in the PM (heck, who am I kidding- at any time of day being the sleep deprived person I am right now) I can miss stuff! Thanks for linking it again! I never tire of Seinfeld humor. I can relate in my life for sure (old Seinfeld episodes-newer ones not as much).

The sad thing is (and please correct me if I am wrong-it's totally possible that I am because I cannot remember where I heard this) that somewhere I think I heard that it was a dingo that killed that woman's baby! :blackeye:

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1354058222|3316834 said:
madelise|1354053015|3316773 said:

Oh, I see that I did LOL! Just goes to show that when I post early in the AM or late in the PM (heck, who am I kidding- at any time of day being the sleep deprived person I am right now) I can miss stuff! Thanks for linking it again! I never tire of Seinfeld humor. I can relate in my life for sure (old Seinfeld episodes-newer ones not as much).

The sad thing is (and please correct me if I am wrong-it's totally possible that I am because I cannot remember where I heard this) that somewhere I think I heard that it was a dingo that killed that woman's baby! :blackeye:

http://www.examiner.com/article/the...einfeld-line-reflects-original-doubt-on-story

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for linking that Madelise. It is so sad- everything that poor family went through on top of their baby being killed. :((

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1354022153|3316367 said:

I agree totally. I hate the whole baby daddy/baby mamma craze. Not sure when it became commonplace but really not cool IMO.

Ha! Friends and I had this conversation at Thanksgiving. Isn't this a bit of a, uh, class thing?

The UK as a whole doesn't seem near as focused on what someone's relationship to you may be. Why not call it what it is? People are more likely to care about the relationship if you seem insecure with what you are to that person.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rhea|1354062690|3316909 said:

Ha! Friends and I had this conversation at Thanksgiving. Isn't this a bit of a, uh, class thing?

The UK as a whole doesn't seem near as focused on what someone's relationship to you may be. Why not call it what it is? People are more likely to care about the relationship if you seem insecure with what you are to that person.

Yes it is a class thing I think. I have never heard a classy individual say it in earnest. Nor should anyone. I find it insulting.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
nielseel|1354067072|3316968 said:
Rhea|1354062690|3316909 said:

Yes it is a class thing I think. I have never heard a classy individual say it in earnest. Nor should anyone. I find it insulting.

Is "my baby's father" better? :naughty: I would have said "say whaaat?" all loud and annoying to let people know it is NOT okay to say that to you! I'm sorry, but I'm glad that's over for you!

I mentioned a few times that I work in an ER. I can't stand it when I ask for emergency contacts from patients, and when I ask relation, they say "baby daddy". I don't understand why you would ever call someone your baby daddy/momma. It makes them sound like just a biological donor or something for your offspring. Like a turkey baster donation or just an incubator for your child. It doesn't tell ME anything. Is he your ex? Your one night stand (in which you prob shouldn't list him as an emergency contact…)? Your significant other? Your husband? Your gay best friend? Hello? I have to refrain from rolling my eyes when I hear that line.

and it has a negative feel to it, as if you can't stand him SO MUCH, that the only thing that ties you to him is that you've got a child together. The words play in my head like how those gh3ttofa8ulus women on Maury say it when they're testing the 20th guy for paternity. The words resound such an awful relationship that it deserves a "I AINT YO BABY DADDY" dance when the paternity test comes out negative..

cygnet

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I often just call him "my person," and sometimes "my partner" or "my man."

I mean, I do call him "boyfriend" sometimes, but it's a bit juvenile for my taste.

audball

Ideal_Rock
cygnet|1354651912|3322407 said:
I often just call him "my person," and sometimes "my partner" or "my man."

I mean, I do call him "boyfriend" sometimes, but it's a bit juvenile for my taste.
I call Andrew my person all the time too!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results