shape
carat
color
clarity

Bowties in Pear Sidestones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PuzzledAZ

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased an engagement ring setting with pear sidestones. While I selected the centerstone personally, the sidestones could not be selected personally and I was told came with the setting from the manufacturer.

When the setting came in, the sidestones had a visible bowtie effect. Checking with the manufacturer, they agreed to replace the sidestones with a pair of pears that would not have such an effect. When the setting was returned with the new sidestones, however, there was still a bowtie effect, although it was less noticeable.

Should I pursue the search for "bowtie-less" pears, or will they all have bowties, and is it just a matter of degree? Does the presence of the bowtie mean that the stone is poorly cut? :confused:

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
All pears, oval and marquise shapes have more or less pronounced bowtie effect. It is a reflection of the observer head.

If it is too strong it is not nice but no bowtie means a diamond leaks more light.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results