shape
carat
color
clarity

"bowtie effect"

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ramalamafa

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for an oval stone around 2.24 carats...something under 2.50. I've heard about the bowtie effect and would like to know more about it. I was told that it is in all fancy shapes and if it is missing, there's something not quite right.
Is that right? Thanks.
Also, there seems to be a large range in specs for the cut of an oval. Can anyone comment on what would be the bottom of "acceptable" for an oval stone?
Thanks in advance!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You will know a good cut from a bad one when you look at stones. If you consult my charts and stick with 2B and better cut ones, you'll find fewer stones, but most will look pretty good.

The bow tie appears in all of them, but you want to avoid a black center. Find a stone with some center brilliancy and less bow tie. It is a compromise based on the shape of the stone.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
You shoulld send your selection to Dave far an appraisal as he is the worlds best in this feild.
Consider buying an idealscope from www.ideal-scope.com (me) or from Dave as this will be invaluable in comparing diamonds because the lighting will be different every where you go.

The bow tie is actually a reflection of your own head.
Take a piece of A4 paper and poke a hole in, and view the diamond - the bow tie disappears.
If you want to learn more http://www.gemology.ru/cut/english/faceting/

happy hunting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results