shape
carat
color
clarity

Bow Tie Effect in Oval stones? How does it affect light performance?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

venus

Rough_Rock
How does the so called "bow-tie" which can occur in Oval stones affect light performance? Is a stone with a bow-tie a poorly cut stone? Is such a stone worth owning? Thanks in advance!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
reduces the brightness of the stone under some conditions.
To many variables to say if I would reject a stone totally over it.
It would depend on the extent of it and how far away it disappeared (what degree of head shadow)

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2009 4:28:10 AM
Author: strmrdr
reduces the brightness of the stone under some conditions.
To many variables to say if I would reject a stone totally over it.
It would depend on the extent of it and how far away it disappeared (what degree of head shadow)
Ditto, also you can't always avoid them altogether, some oval or fancy shape diamonds may show this effect more than others. A diamond which shows a bow tie isn't necessarily badly cut, they can be come with the territory of elongated fancy shapes such as oval, pear, marquise and so on.

This page explains more http://www.goodoldgold.com/ShapeTutorials/ShapeTips1/

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m dittoing as well.

It doesn''t just affect performance but it affects the look too. A bow tie looks so much darker than the rest of the diamond in some lights that it draws your eye to it. Personally I try to avoid bow ties at all cost. However, it does mean that when I''ve been searching for diamonds it takes longer!

omkardesai

Rough_Rock
The alternative to this problem is one can polish the Oval diamond with different cut called French Culet (it has 4 pavilion mains). I hope this will help.
1.gif

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/18/2009 12:58:01 AM
Author: omkardesai
The alternative to this problem is one can polish the Oval diamond with different cut called French Culet (it has 4 pavilion mains). I hope this will help.
1.gif
I would love to see a picture of the cut you are describing.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/18/2009 1:19:24 AM
Author: Gailey

Date: 3/18/2009 12:58:01 AM
Author: omkardesai
1.gif
I would love to see a picture of the cut you are describing.
Ditto!

Welcome Omkar!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results