shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought the diamond, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nengland

Rough_Rock
Hi all!

First I want to thank everyone for the forum. Most of my time has been spent lurking and reading, but it''s proved to be invaluable. Thank you.

Alright, so I bought a stone for my girlfriend''s e-ring.

.82 G (SI)
Depth 61.8%
Table 54.5%
Crown 33.9°
Pav 40.9°
Gdl med-sl t
Pol/Sym ID

The numbers say it should be a looker and I''m hoping for the best when it comes in the mail today. Could you maybe give me some direction though what to look for on the stone when I get to the local jeweler and start looking at settings?

I know to look at girdle and match the number with the cert. I also know since it''s an SI1 that it may/may not be "eyeclean" despite the vendor''s claims and deserves some inspection...

Is there anything else basic/obvious that I''m missing?

Again, thanks for a great forum. Buying an e-ring is a big thing for me and I''m glad to have found such an awesome place to help out.
10.gif

kristy_lyn

Shiny_Rock
Now we get to help you find a setting! Yay! :)

Are you planning to get the stone set at the vendor you bought it from?

scarleta

Brilliant_Rock
Hello: you can search this forum,I posted the same question and received lots of help re:" independent gemological appraisal what to ask for" Would make a link for you , but still learning how..good luck lots of help there..

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi NEngland!
35.gif

I''d love to help out, but I''m not sure I understand what you are asking. Are you wondering how to determine if the stone that comes in the mail is what you bought? Are you concerned about ID''ing your diamond to ensure the jeweler doesn''t switch stones on you when it''s being set? Are you asking what to look for in a setting?

nengland

Rough_Rock
Hi starryeyed,

it''s some of a couple of those things. I want to see that the stone if found online is the one that was shipped and yes I''m also concerned with being able to positively ID it once it goes in for mounting and subsequent future work. Is the laser scribed number good enough for all of this or is just having one approach too simplistic?

nengland

Rough_Rock
Hi kristy_lyn!

I''ll be buying the ring from someone nearby. Part of that was because I want to see the settings in person, but another big part is that I wanted someone close by that would take her ring and replate the white gold and inspect it on a regular basis. Jared has some really nice looking settings and for an extra charge offer a lifetime warranty on the ring. I really like the idea that she can walk in and have her ring taken care of without having to dig into her own pocket.

At this point I''m torn between settings. Maybe it''ll be a Tiffany style 6 prong white gold. They also had some nice older looking settings with melee stones. I''m just worried that the cut of those stones might not complement the main stone. Guest that''s something that''ll have to be seen in person though.
33.gif

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Hi NEngland - thanks for clarifying. Do you have a loupe? If not you can probably borrow one at the jewelers.

With loupe in hand and cert at your side, first check the laser inscription that it matches your cert. Then you can try to match up the inclusions drawn on the cert to the actual diamond. Get familiar with where these inclusions are. They are a great way to tell if it''s your stone.

I agree with you that it''s nice to go into a local jeweler for inspection/repair work, but don''t let this be your deciding factor. You should look at the quality of the workmanship of the setting and the quality of any sidestones. The setting should appear symmetrical (from all angles) with all surfaces polished. There shouldn''t be any small divots from air bubbles in casting. There shouldn''t be any weld/repair lines. The diamond quality may be more difficult to discern, but get very familiar with the loupe. Make sure the jeweler is willing to put the color & clarity in writing.

I''m kinda cynical when it comes to B&M''s. Make sure they''ve been in business a while and check their record with the BBB - this can be done online.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results