shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought ring...now I''m wondering if I made the best choice...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bud2003

Rough_Rock
Hi All,
I''ve been lurking for about 6 months now. Thanks to all of your experience and knowledge associated with diamonds and where to purchase from, I feel that I have educated myself pretty well. After searching for so long and looking at B&Ms vs online dealers, I finally got my head wrapped around being comfortable buying from an online dealer. I figured that I had to just look at the "stats", if I wanted to get the most bang for my buck ($5000 budget). I was originally bent on ordering from Blue Nile, but ended up being won over by Whiteflash (lifetime upgrade policy was the deal maker).

This morning after working with a young lady at Whiteflash, I finally made the purchase on a diamond ring for my gf. I now have a renewed "nervousness" of whether I made the best decision. Whiteflash rated the diamond as a 4 star, and my rep says that she is confident that the diamond will be of wonderful quality.

This is the ring I picked out

Princess Cut
1.04ct
VS2
F color
VG Polish
VG Sym
70.7% Depth
71% Table

Platinum "Hand over Hand'' Solitare Setting

Totalled $4955 (Diamond and Setting)

She said there was no "Cut" quality rating available, which kind of scared me, but due to time constraints I went forward anyway. She advised that they would get the diamond in approx. 3 days, and provide me w/ pictures, they will make sure the diamond is of nice quality, then they will begin with the setting.

I need someone to ease my anxiety as to if this is a decent purchase. Judging from the "stats" and 4-star rating - will this be a nice, quality diamond?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 2:05:54 PM
Author:Bud2003
Hi All,
I've been lurking for about 6 months now. Thanks to all of your experience and knowledge associated with diamonds and where to purchase from, I feel that I have educated myself pretty well. After searching for so long and looking at B&Ms vs online dealers, I finally got my head wrapped around being comfortable buying from an online dealer. I figured that I had to just look at the 'stats', if I wanted to get the most bang for my buck ($5000 budget). I was originally bent on ordering from Blue Nile, but ended up being won over by Whiteflash (lifetime upgrade policy was the deal maker).

This morning after working with a young lady at Whiteflash, I finally made the purchase on a diamond ring for my gf. I now have a renewed 'nervousness' of whether I made the best decision. Whiteflash rated the diamond as a 4 star, and my rep says that she is confident that the diamond will be of wonderful quality.

This is the ring I picked out

Princess Cut
1.04ct
VS2
F color
VG Polish
VG Sym
70.7% Depth
71% Table

Platinum 'Hand over Hand' Solitare Setting

Totalled $4955 (Diamond and Setting)

She said there was no 'Cut' quality rating available, which kind of scared me, but due to time constraints I went forward anyway. She advised that they would get the diamond in approx. 3 days, and provide me w/ pictures, they will make sure the diamond is of nice quality, then they will begin with the setting.

I need someone to ease my anxiety as to if this is a decent purchase. Judging from the 'stats' and 4-star rating - will this be a nice, quality diamond?
Welcome!

I wouldn't worry too much, the WF team have very experienced eyes and if they recommend this diamond and think it suitable then I think you are on the right track. They do have a good return policy so you can examine the diamond at your leisure and give it a good test drive.

This explains the star ratings from WF. http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds_info/t/all_about.aspx?articleid=349&zoneid=21

Can you post any ASET or Idealscope images WF made of the diamond?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF provides Idealscope and ASET pictures. Please post those because princess cuts cannot be bought by the numbers.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
What Chrono said...the easiest way is just to link us to the diamond's info page on WF's website. If you no longer have the link, just give us the WF item number; it's searchable.

ETA: Love the solitaire!

Bud2003

Rough_Rock
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/Diamond_Details.aspx?idno=1922245

Not sure this will help much. I don''t think the idealscope/ASET will be available until they get the diamond in next week.

Let me know if you see something that I don''t.

Also, payment won''t be completely processed until I''m happy with the diamond, so we can still look at other options if necessary.

Thanks again for all of your help!

Bud2003

Rough_Rock
I just confirmed with my contact at WF, that a 40x magnified image, Idealscope, ASET & Sarin will be provided next week.

We''ll pick this up then...lol

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF will treat you fairly; at this point no one can do anything until the stone is ready and WF has the time to run the ASET and IScope pictures. Let us know when it''s ready and we''ll be more than glad to take a peek and comment.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 2:40:29 PM
Author: Bud2003
I just confirmed with my contact at WF, that a 40x magnified image, Idealscope, ASET & Sarin will be provided next week.

We''ll pick this up then...lol
Go ahead and post the images when you get them, then you can get some opinions.

Bud2003

Rough_Rock
You all are great!!

Thanks for your help!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/4/2009 2:49:03 PM
You all are great!!

Thanks for your help!
You are very welcome!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are welcome. We are just a bunch of busybodies who likes to make sure everyone's happy with their diamond purchase. Well, at least I am.
9.gif

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
I thought you could get this info from whiteflash before you had to buy the diamond? That they look at the diamond for you. If fancy cuts should be seen before purchase due to not being able to tell from the numbers. Why wouldn''t he have this info already? Am I missing something?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my guess:
1. Newly cut diamond so no pictures yet. I think this might be one of their non-ACA but well cut princess stones (expert selection).
2. Virtual diamond from a listing hence no pictures yet.

That said, my gut feel is that it's the 1st reason.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
As a general piece of advice, it's always safer to have WF call in a not in house diamond and take the pictures before you put down the money, but it's ok; they have a good return policy (though the return period is short). You could ask them to hold the diamond once it gets there instead of setting it right away, so they can send you the pics for your approval. That's what I would do.

ETA: Looks like that's what you're doing already. Hopefully it will look fabulous! In the meantime, check out this thread for advice on how to interpret a princess ASET.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t worry too much, if the cut doesn''t turn out to be stellar you can pick out a different stone. WF will make sure you are happy and has a great return policy.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WF has an excellent reputation so I would trust them, and it looks like you got a great deal! Congrats!

Bud2003

Rough_Rock
Ok everyone...here''s the additional info. Please let me know your thoughts. I have tried and tried to upload the pictures to the site, but I am having trouble. Please check them out at the following link. Let me know if should go forward or run! Thank you so much for all of your help thus far.

40x
http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2892/di40xgia17559287gt8.jpg

ASET
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/5585/astgia17559287dm7.jpg

Idealscope
http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/6053/isgia17559287qm0.jpg

Sarin
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/4598/saringia17559287rv2.jpg

Thanks again!!!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
A little too much green in the ASET and white in the IS for my taste.

Bud2003

Rough_Rock
Thanks...any more thoughts?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its a nice diamond, not a top quality cut but no slouch!! If you want the best cut then look again but if you like this one then no reason to not consider it - it depends on the level of cut you want.

Bud2003

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I guess I should be asking - for $3960, is this fairly "good" quality?

I understand there are plenty of signature lines out there that boast optimum cut quality. However, I can''t afford to drop that additional $1500 to get that additional quality (yet).

So, for the price that I am paying, is this the quality you''d expect?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks good. What's WF's opinion on how the stone matches up against an ACA?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/10/2009 10:47:25 AM
Thanks! I guess I should be asking - for $3960, is this fairly ''good'' quality?

I understand there are plenty of signature lines out there that boast optimum cut quality. However, I can''t afford to drop that additional $1500 to get that additional quality (yet).

So, for the price that I am paying, is this the quality you''d expect?
I think the price is ok, WF are competitive, it is a touch over a carat, F VS and reliably graded - if you are unsure ask them what they have with their top notch cuts which might suit you.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone; the price is right and it's certainly a very pretty diamond. I think it will be difficult to find a nicely cut 1ct F/VS2 for that price. If it were myself, I'd keep looking for one with a top-notch cut quality, but it all depends on what's important to you. Also, at a L:W ratio of 1.04, it's slightly off-square to the point that it may be visually noticeable. It's still considered a square diamond, and the way you set it may help to offset the difference. Just wanted you to be aware.

Personally, with a ~$4000 budget, this is the stone I'd set my sights on. Similar carat weight (though your stone is substantially larger due to the lower depth), top-notch cut, same clarity, and the only thing you'd sacrifice is a couple of color grades. But as the owner of an AGS ideal I color princess, I can tell you the color is not at all detrimental. The top-quality cut creates a lot of brightness which masks any hint of color.

Bud2003

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/10/2009 2:45:17 PM
Author: JulieN
Looks good. What''s WF''s opinion on how the stone matches up against an ACA?
My contact says that it is a "very nice" stone, that performs very well. Of course, she is recommending it 100%, saying that I will be completely happy with it.

...still I worry...lol

GemologistK

Rough_Rock
Hey Bud,

You must be out of your mind ! or have not been reading what the experts been tell you in the past 20 post or so,
frankly, the whole sale price of this diamond is $4200.00++, these people did not make any money from you !

For the money you paid: It is a great diamond enjoy and be merry.

Joe
RGA- NAJA

Bud2003

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/11/2009 10:57:26 AM
Author: GemologistK
Hey Bud,

You must be out of your mind ! or have not been reading what the experts been tell you in the past 20 post or so,
frankly, the whole sale price of this diamond is $4200.00++, these people did not make any money from you !

For the money you paid: It is a great diamond enjoy and be merry.

Joe
RGA- NAJA
Thank you so much!! You''ve made me rest easy until the ring gets here.

I guess I''m just being a worry wart. This whole online buying experience with WF has been great...I''m just a bit wary of purchasing something so significant (and expensive) without ever putting my hands on it.

My contact at WF said yesterday that she couldn''t wait for me to see the ring...which should be here on Saturday. Don''t worry, I''m not doing a V-Day proposal.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think for the price that that is a gorgeous stone! i think you''ll be pleasantly surprised when you see it IRL!

Bud2003

Rough_Rock
WF just sent me pictures of my new purchase...I must say that I am VERY excited!!!!!! I can''t wait to surprise the lady with it. Thanks to all of you for all of the knowledge and encouragement you provide. You all are great.

This is the "Hand over Hand" Platinum setting that WF offers.

30.gif
36.gif

021209.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results