shape
carat
color
clarity

Bought an Opalescent/Fancy White Marquise Diamond

PinkinPA

Rough_Rock
I found this diamond quite some time ago and it's been haunting my dreams.

I finally pulled the trigger on it and I should have it this week. It's between 2-3 carats and SI in clarity.

I have no clue what to do with it, what's it's worth, how old it is or just about anything about it.

I'm thinking something very deco and geometric, maybe a rectangle diamond halo? Step sides?

Thanks for letting me share!

0fan.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Interesting stone. Does it have a GIA report? I am curious about the description in the subject line.

PinkinPA

Rough_Rock
Nope.. thinking of sending it out though.. going to take me awhile to save up for a mounting ;-)

I'll get tons of pictures when it's in my hands.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Texas Leaguer|1443567439|3933283 said:
Interesting stone. Does it have a GIA report? I am curious about the description in the subject line.
I have a few in a sort of private collection Bryan - a couple of years back someone from here contacted me and asked to buy one - we worked out a price. It had no GIA papers, and I really cant imagine why you would need papers, but I made the sale conditional on GIA calling it a whatever they called it, and the client kept it.
But like - what else is it going to be????
Of course dont buy a cloudy milky CZ on eBay, but if the vendor is a diamond person, why bother with GIA paper?

PinkinPA

Rough_Rock
Gary do you have any pictures of your similar stones? I am so fascinated by them and they seem pretty unusual! :love:

FancyIntense

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations on your fancy white. Is it from Leibish? Leibish carries these.

PinkinPA

Rough_Rock
No.. it was a private seller.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
PinkinPA|1443572845|3933321 said:
Gary do you have any pictures of your similar stones? I am so fascinated by them and they seem pretty unusual! :love:

Just quick and dirty phone phone photo's - they are not for sale.
1.62ct round and 1.00ct marquise.

_34691.jpg

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry H (Cut Nut)|1443571820|3933317 said:
Texas Leaguer|1443567439|3933283 said:
I have a few in a sort of private collection Bryan - a couple of years back someone from here contacted me and asked to buy one - we worked out a price. It had no GIA papers, and I really cant imagine why you would need papers, but I made the sale conditional on GIA calling it a whatever they called it, and the client kept it.
But like - what else is it going to be????
Of course dont buy a cloudy milky CZ on eBay, but if the vendor is a diamond person, why bother with GIA paper?
Hi Garry,
I was mainly curious about the descriptor "opalescent" which to me has a specific meaning. And to an Aussie such as yourself, I'm sure it does too! So I was wondering if the stone actually had some kind of play of color within the white.

kroshka

Brilliant_Rock
I think fancy whites can be funky and cool - but I know that I personally prefer ones that have a specific look to them. The best way to describe it is that it needs to have some brilliance and is not completely milky/cloudy looking to the eye.
GIA fancy white.

Kroshka

fancy_white.png

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MAEVONA "CAVA" setting - if it seems like I'm yelling it's because I am!!!!!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
GIA graded "Fancy White" stones are rare, but they are on the market.
Generally if there's a clarity it's I1-
But there are even SI examples.
Price wise they are generally on the lower side- roughly similar to an M color. But I have also seen very high asking prices.

I love the word Opalescent to describe them

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rockdiamond|1443633558|3933507 said:
GIA graded "Fancy White" stones are rare, but they are on the market.
Generally if there's a clarity it's I1-
But there are even SI examples.
Price wise they are generally on the lower side- roughly similar to an M color. But I have also seen very high asking prices.

I love the word Opalescent to describe them

RD you said many are I clarity - are inclusions different than the base white color? Are the inclusions visible to the eye? Or are the inclusions the cause of the milkiness?

How do these look in person? I'm truly intrigued. Do they sparkle like a clear diamond? Or do they have a muted appearance? Fire? Are they durable / safe to set in say a ring? Or as in colorless diamonds does it depend on the inclusions?

Ok I think I answered some of my own questions about them (from Leibish's website: "Unlike the characteristic cause in the rest of the colors of natural fancy color diamonds, the color white in fancy white diamonds is not the result of a compound element. They are actually colorless diamonds that contain a high concentration of submicroscopic inclusions that scatter light, yielding a distinctive frosty "milky" white face-up color. The nature of these submicroscopic inclusions is unknown, although they are thought to be the result of nitrogen within the diamond’s pure carbon structure.")

PinkinPA

Rough_Rock
It has a bit of color play.. so it's not "snowed" over. I've included a few more pictures of her in the FUG mounting she was in before.

maq7.jpg

maq9.jpg

PinkinPA

Rough_Rock
And here she is.. in my hands. I've never been more in aw of a diamond before and I've had quite a few. It literally left me breathless :love:

0op4.jpg

0op2.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, such a unique and gorgeous stone! :love: :love: I'm sure you are beyond thrilled! What do you plan to do in terms of setting?

PinkinPA

Rough_Rock
The million dollar question..

I'm not sure yet.. I was considering something temporary because my dreams look like this:

oplrng.jpg

samar.jpg

pll.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results