shape
carat
color
clarity

Both look good on HCA..Help me decide please..

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brilliant Cut

Rough_Rock
Well, narrowed it down to 2 stones thanks to this forum..You guys really know your diamonds. Thanks for all of the advice. Both look good on the HCA cut advisor.....What do you think???

Round 1.01 VS2 E $6256.00
6.39 x 6.47 x 3.93
Total Depth 61.1%
Crown Angle 34.8 (34.5-35.2)
Crown Height 14.4% (13.8-15.1)
Pavil Angle 40.6 (40.4-40.7)
Pavil Depth 42.8% (42.5-43.1)
Culet 0.6% Very Small
Table Size 57.4% (56.6-57.7)
Girdle 1.8% (1.3-2.6) Slightly Thick
Very Good Polish/Symmetry
No Fluorescence

Round 1.04 VS1 G $6179.00
6.51 x 6.58 x 3.98
Total Depth 60.9%
Crown Angle 34.4 (34.1-34.9)
Crown Height 14.3% (13.7-14.9)
Pavil Angle 40.7 (40.2-41.0)
Pavil Depth 42.9% (42.1-43.6)
Culet .6% Very Small
Table Size 56.6% (55.9-57.0)
Girdle 1.4% (0.4-2.2) Medium
Very Good Polish/Symmetry
No Fluorescence

Thanks a bunch for all of the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Brilliant Cut, Numbers for both sound very good.

#1 has a few % better discount from Rap but has just a bit thicked girdle...

Sorry man you've got to toss a coin
1.gif

Brilliant Cut

Rough_Rock
How will a slightly thicker girdle effect things? The proportions on the 2nd stone look slightly better to me but the color on the first stone is 2 grades higher...a noticable difference.

stonecold

Rough_Rock
Wow, a couple of beauties you got there.

I wouold go for the First one. It's and E color, and my preference is for colorless stones. I actually could tell the difference between a D and F every time in the jewelry store, but that's just my quirky perception. Also, you won't be apt to notice minor color distinctions when the stone is set, but all I know is, a G on its side looks almost dirty when placed against a white background. With an E, at least you have the satisfaction of knowing youj have a near colorless stone.

Having said all of that, I know it means nothing! It's whatever looks most beautiful to you. If both look the same, then, as Leonid wrote, time to flip a coin. Best of luck - you're already pretty damn luck to be "forced" to choose between two great stones like those!

stoney
9.gif

Brilliant Cut

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I did get lucky. It was also helpful having this great forum as a reference.

Final Cut

Rough_Rock
Hey BC,

If you can, try to see them next to each other - one will scream to you, the other one will whisper ....

Good Luck !
FC
10.gif
9.gif

69gm

Shiny_Rock
fc,

i like that analogy. very well put. one will definitely "call out" to you more than the other.

just looking at the numbers, and just from the point that i don't have a trained eye like some others might, i would go with #2. while i like the color of the first, "G" is still very white. and as for my own quirky-ness, i was able to see the difference of even a couple of hundredths of a carat. so i would be able to look at the two stones and tell you which was the bigger stone...and that's something that her friends will notice first...the size. sure they'll notice color, but c'mon, the average person will think a "G" stone is still really white.

i also like the girdle of #2 better. too thick or thin might cause problems when set. i've also heard that if a girdle is too thick, it will make the diamond look small and less brilliant. not sure how true that is but just what i've heard.

in the end, you won't be making a bad choice. so it's just a matter of taking the plunge and choosing one, and being happy with your decision. believe me, you'll drive yourself nuts wondering, "i wonder if i should've looked around more...maybe i would've found a better diamond...", etc.
errrr.gif

with either i'm sure you'll be happy with your decision...especially with the confidence of having done your research and having the great people on this forum backing you up.

of course a little reward by posting eye-candy is always appreciated.
2.gif

good luck!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with 69! #2 is my choice. I have a G stone and I love it. It's very white. Also, the girdle is better, and the spread on the diameter is better than the first one, in my opinion you CAN see a slight difference in size when you are talking .12mm. We saw a difference between 6.98mm diameter and 7.12mm when we were researching my stone and had another one by it's side. The larger spread of the bigger stone sold us right off.

We also compared E to a G color (E was smaller stone, G with larger spread) and we could not visually tell a difference. Though as a previous poster noted, its all about the eye, some people can see a difference between E and F etc. But we definitely couldn't.

Both stones sound lovely. Good luck with your decision but my vote is #2!
1.gif
Cheaper too!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
just from the numbers, I vote #2 as well. Once set, the difference in color will not be very noticeable, while the size will be very noticeable.

Good luck.

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I prefer #2 too. Also, the table on the first stone is 56.6-57.7, and 57.7% is out of AGS 0 range.
1.gif

Brilliant Cut

Rough_Rock
Very tough decision...

I think I like the 2nd one better. Strictly by the numbers, it seems to be a better stone. I am also curious as to why the price for the first one (1.01 VS2 E) is only slightly more expensive than the second stone. 2 color grades higher, 1 clarity grade lower, .03 ct bigger and only $77.00 higher??? Does this seem right??

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
Hi BC!
wavey.gif

Personally, I vote for the G, 1.04 carat. Although a tenth of a mm sounds small on paper, the larger diameter will definitely be noticible. G is a GREAT color that faces up wonderfully white. I have an H set in white gold and mine is blast white. And, why pay for weight in a thick girdle that you won't see?

I did a quick Price Stats check, considering both as Cut Class 1A. Comparable E color diamonds average $6383 and comparable G color diamonds average $6356 among Price Scope vendors. Only a $27 dollar difference there. Soooooo, both are priced well!
2.gif

Good luck with this decision! Looks like 2 great diamonds! Seems there will be no wrong choice here!
1.gif

Brilliant Cut

Rough_Rock
Yes...Both look very good to me. I took another look over this past weekend and I think I am going with the G VS1 1.04...It looks a bit better than the other one. Only one thing bothers me however. The Sarin report says that the table is 56.6% but the GIA report says it is 58%. With 58% being just out of range of AGS 0, should I worry about the difference? COuld it be a machine calibration problem??

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I think your eyes have spoken.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results