shape
carat
color
clarity

Books on Gems

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let''s collate titles of books that we''ve found helpful. These are in my tiny library:

Gemstones of the World, by Schumann.
Secrets of the Gem Trade, by Wise.
Buying guides by Matlin.

I''m about to order:
Gems, by O''Donoghue (thanks, Richard M.).
Rubies and Sapphires, by Hughes (ditto).

I''ve also been recommended books by Liddicoat and Siddakis. Do add to this list.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
I have Walter Schumann''s book. Very useful, and a handy size to boot. It''s never far from my side.

I also like "Coloured Gemstones - The Antoinette Matlins Buying Guide", by A. Matlins. Look for the updated and expanded 2nd edition.

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
I like:
Simon & Schuster''s "Guide to Gems and Precious Stones"

It''s small (4.5 x 7.5 inches) but loaded with lots of useful information and pictures in its 400 pages.
It was priced at about $13 USD back in 1991.

Joker....

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Incidentally, the O''Donoghue is an update of the famous volume by Webster.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Harriet, let me know if you can get Hughes book - it''s out of print and I can''t find a copy anywhere!

My personal favourite:

Robert Webster:

Practical Gemmology Ed.6

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, should have qualified that with ''can''t find a copy that I am prepared to cough up for...''

I''ve signed up on his site for the re-print - which seems to be a long time in the planning!

I''m also after Rouse''s Garnets, again out of print and crazy prices. I do haunt second-hand book shops though. I picked up a copy of Edwin Streeter''s ''Precious Stones and Gems Their History and Distinguishing Characteristics'', which is the pride and joy of my collection, for $90 by complete chance. He was one of the first people into the Burmese Ruby Mines, handled some of the most famous stones in the world and writes all about his experiences and the gems he found and sold. Fascinating book.

I''ll put up my complete list of recommended books when I find my list - on other computer I think...

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jewels, by Finlay, is an interestingread, but I don''t know how accurate it is.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/18/2008 1:03:55 PM
Author: Pandora II
Sorry, should have qualified that with ''can''t find a copy that I am prepared to cough up for...''

I''ve signed up on his site for the re-print - which seems to be a long time in the planning!

I had no idea Hughes''s book had become so pricey! I believe my copy ran about $125 and I think it''s worth every penny. I note his frontispiece quote: "The price of wisdom is beyond rubies."

He takes the quote from the Book of Job and Job was renowned for his patience. So be patient and wait for the wisdom in the new edition whenever it makes it to press.

On the matter of garnets, Rouse''s book is excellent and very worthwhile if you can find it. But it''s also likely to be pricey since it''s in demand and out of print. A better solution I think would be to contact the GIA library and ask for copies of the fine series of articles by Manson & Stockton. They ran in "Gems & Gemology" during the early to mid-1980s and are probably the most comprehensive recent garnet research. Warning: they''re quite technical because they''re written for gemologists, not laymen. Be sure to ask for color copies because the illustrations are quite instructive.

Another fine garnet resource is "Naming Gem Garnets" by Dr. William A. Hanneman. I believe he still has a few copies in print at around $25 each. The book will be difficult for readers not grounded in garnet chemistry and mineralogy. For those willing to expend the effort it does a great job of making this very difficult mineral group more understandable.

Inquiry letters about current price/availability should be addressed to him c/o P.O. Box 46014 in Rio Rancho, NM 87174 Bear in mind he''s mostly retired and takes long fishing trips. He answers mail when the trout aren''t biting.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have and most often refer to Gemstones of the World, by Schumann.
I found Secrets of the Gem Trade a thrilling enjoyable read; lent it to someone and need to get it back!
Since I love the golden books also have a golden nature guide of Rocks and Minerals
Have Fred Ward Diamonds, and Emeralds which are best for the gorgeous pics.

Someone gave me as a gift "Rock Gem and Mineral Collecting Sites in Western North Carolina" which I haven''t directly utlized but look forward to in the future. While NC is blessed with many gem minerals Durham county is sadly deficient in them.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Okay, here is my current list:

Antoinette L. Matlins / Antonio C. Bonanno: –

Gem Identification Made Easy – 3rd edition 2003

This one is very useful on techniques for using instruments and has quite a lot of information on diamond simulants and synthetics in general.

Renee Newman: –

Gemstone Buying Guide – 2nd edition 2003

Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald Buying Guide – 2nd edition 2002

Not fussed on her books

Peter Read: –

Gemmology – 3rd edition 2005

Excellent

Walter Schumann: –

Gemstones of the World - 2007 edition

Excellent

Edwin Streeter: –

Precious Stones and Gems: Their History and Distinguishing Characteristics – 6th edition 1898

My pride and joy and a very lucky find!

Keith Wallis: –

Gemstones: Understanding, Identifying, Buying – 2006

Robert Webster: –

Gems - Their Sources, Descriptions and Identification – 5th edition

I know there is now the 2006 sixth edition – is it worth my updating?

Practical Gemmology – 3rd & 6th editions

My bible and the book I use more than any other. He's better than the FGA course notes!

Gemmologist’s Compendium – 7th edition 1998

Richard W.Wise: –

Secrets of the Gem Trade – 2006

Great read!

I also have:

L.J.Spencer: –

A Key to Precious Stones - 1947

Interesting, but not one I would recommend unless you like weird old books.

R.L Austen: –

Gems and Jewels - 1979

Again another one for lovers of strange old books - I bought it for pennies, and it was a signed first edition so I thought it would be fun!

Cally Hall: –

Gemstones - Dorling Kindersley Handbook

Good quick look-up book, but sadly they have used what I would consider very poor examples of each stone for the photographs. If you saw their spessartite you'd run a mile!

Rock and Gem - Dorling Kindersley Handbook

Another good quick reference book with rather better pictures!

Rick, I managed to find a copy of "Naming Gem Garnets" by Dr. William A. Hanneman by sheer chance yesterday, so thank you so much for the tip off!

I'll see what I can get out of the GIA, as those articles sound like the sort of thing I'm looking for.

Rouse's book is running at about $350 at the moment - I haven't been looking that long, so I've put the word out with a couple of tame second-hand book dealers and will give it 3 or 4 months.

My current book wish list - on top of the Rouse and Hughes:

Fred Ward: –

Rubies & Sapphires
Emeralds
Diamonds
Pearls
Jade
Opals
Gem Care

Colin H. Winter: –

A Student’s Guide to Spectroscopy – 2003

Are there any glaring ommissions that I should consider buying?

(I am a complete book addict, and every house FI and I have looked at recently has to have space for floor to ceiling bookcases to house my collections from various obsessions. I'd be bankrupt if it wasn't for secondhand bookshops and ebay!)

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/22/2008 7:42:32 AM
Author: Pandora II

Rick, I managed to find a copy of ''Naming Gem Garnets'' by Dr. William A. Hanneman by sheer chance yesterday, so thank you so much for the tip off!

I''ll see what I can get out of the GIA, as those articles sound like the sort of thing I''m looking for.

Rouse''s book is running at about $350 at the moment - I haven''t been looking that long, so I''ve put the word out with a couple of tame second-hand book dealers and will give it 3 or 4 months.

My current book wish list - on top of the Rouse and Hughes:

Fred Ward: –

Rubies & Sapphires

Emeralds

Diamonds

Pearls

Jade

Opals

Gem Care

Colin H. Winter: –

A Student’s Guide to Spectroscopy – 2003

Are there any glaring ommissions that I should consider buying?

(I am a complete book addict, and every house FI and I have looked at recently has to have space for floor to ceiling bookcases to house my collections from various obsessions. I''d be bankrupt if it wasn''t for secondhand bookshops and ebay!)

I hope the Hanneman book was complete with its Rosetta Stone of Garnets and pinhole garnet refractometer. They illustrate some very interesting aspects of both garnets and gemololgy, and go a long way in helping untangle garnet species without the use of lab equipment.

I''d hoped the Rouse book would be more available in the UK than in the States, since it was printed there. $350 is more than I''d pay for it although it''s a fine reference. If you can get the Manson & Stockton articles they''re more up to date and "state of the art."

I spent some time with Fred Ward and his wife Charlotte in Tucson this year, during their introduction of a new book in the series, "Phenomenal Gems." I''d add it to the list if you''re interested in gems that display optical phenemona like play of color, color change, iridescence, stars (asterism), moonstone effect (adularescence), eyes (chatoyance), etc.

Richard M.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Two Volumes translated from Le Six Voyages de J. B. Tavernier (2 vols. 4to, Paris, 1676)

For those of you who are intrigued of the way this industry handles itself..., its fashion of completing deals based on trust and hand shakes..., etc..etc...

You would get a kick out of reading the book...

It describes actual experiences which J.B. Tavernier went through in his six voyages to the east..., his dealings with Indian Maharajahs and European royalties..., handeling of the most famous and Historic Diamonds and Gems...
Shows the pioneering in Diamond and Gems valuation techniques and a lot, lot more....

Great read a bit hard to understand (it was written by a gem merchant after all...
11.gif
)

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m having trouble locating this book: Gems, by O''Donoghue. Has anyone tried and succeeded?

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Harrriet, et al,

There seems to be a split between those looking for comprehensive treatments and those seeking technical gemology books, but if I had to choose just a few books to take to that desert island and had very little room in the boat, here are a couple of suggestions:

Bauer, Max, Precious Stones; Their Characteristics and Occurrence.... Published (translated from the German in 1904 Bauer's book is still the most comprehensive treatment of the subject ever written. I like it because it includes information on quality and value. Don't be scared by the date, it just demonstrates while things change, much remains the same. I have a leather 1st edition, you should be able to find one for $400, but the Dover reprint can be purchased for $20.00.

Strack, Elisabeth. Pearls. Another German translation published just last year. The last word (and the first) if there is anything left to say about pearls I'd like to know what it is. Had the pleasure of meeting Elisabeth last year a Tucson. $130.00 still not available on Amazon but a Google search will find it.

Hofer, Stephen, Collecting and Classifying Coloured Diamonds. Stephen likes the English spelling. This is truly a weighty tome and just might sink the boat. The price, $300 might sink your wallet as well but believe me its worth it, its actually four books in one. Stephen was my mentor in getting to understand color science and how it relates to gems.

Tavernier's Travels in India. translated by Ball, edited by Crooke. Someone already mentioned Jean-Baptiste Tavernier and you have to read him. He can be tedious, the book was written at the behest of the Sun King as a guide for establishing the French East India Company but it is unparalleled if you want the real look, feel and smell of a gem dealers life. Complaining about 24 whole hours of air travel to Bangkok, try 7 years to Surat. Puts things in perspective. The 1st English edition (1678) mentioned above is wonderful but at $12,000.00 perhaps a bit of a stretch. Oriental Reprints has a 2 volume reprint with the sketches of the Great Mogul's diamond for $30-30 bucks.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Richard. You and DiaGem have piqued my interest in Tavernier''s book. Incidentally, is it true that you''re writing on Tavernier?

Sagebrush

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Harriet,

Yes, that''s true, how did you know? I am working on a historical novel based on the life of J-B T.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Richard,
Someone else posed that question to you elsewhere. I think I'll wait for your book instead. I'm not sure I'm ready for 16th century writing.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 6/8/2008 2:53:52 PM
Author: Harriet
Richard,
Someone else posed that question to you elsewhere. I think I''ll wait for your book instead. I''m not sure I''m ready for 16th century writing.
J.B. Taverniers Travels in India which is translated by Ball is a pretty easy read...., it just has quite a bit of monotoned text..., like the kind of point to point traveling (counting and describing the days as a measure of distance etc..., etc...), but still a must read...

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Many thanks for the recommendations Richard.

I like Stephen''s spelling too
28.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/9/2008 12:55:38 AM
Author: DiaGem

Date: 6/8/2008 2:53:52 PM
Author: Harriet
Richard,
Someone else posed that question to you elsewhere. I think I''ll wait for your book instead. I''m not sure I''m ready for 16th century writing.
J.B. Taverniers Travels in India which is translated by Ball is a pretty easy read...., it just has quite a bit of monotoned text..., like the kind of point to point traveling (counting and describing the days as a measure of distance etc..., etc...), but still a must read...
Yes, sir!
9.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
5/19/2008 4:42:55 PM

Author:
Richard M.

I had no idea Hughes''s book had become so pricey! I believe my copy ran about $125 and I think it''s worth every penny.

When I read that Dick Hughes'' book had become, "pricey" I just kept reading. I clicked on the link just to take a look at the book since I am in Connecticut and my copy is in Virginia. When I saw the current price, however, my jaw dropped! I have no idea what I paid for my copy (if it was $125.00 or more, I mean), but it certainly wasn''t $495.00! Is it currently out of print? Is that why the price is so high? Has it become a collector''s item? I certainly hope that it is not out of print since it is a wonderful, timely book! Every gem lover should own it!

Deborah
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
7/2/2008 7:38:54 AM

Author:
AGBF

Is it currently out of print? Is that why the price is so high? Has it become a collector's item? I certainly hope that it is not out of print since it is a wonderful, timely book! Every gem lover should own it!

I am sorry. I did not read Pandora's posting thoroughly enough the first time. She clearly stated that Dick Hughes' book is out of print, which explains why the price on Amazon is so high. One can always hope to get a copy of it somewhere else, such as eBay or another on-line book seller.

Deborah
34.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
A new edition of O''Donoghue''s Gems was supposed to have been released in May. I still can''t get my paws on it. Has anyone else tried?

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I''m a total noob but interested in learning the basics. I get a feeling most of these books everyone''s reading will be way over my head, if there was one book you can recommend to get started what would it be?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I started, I was recommended Schumann''s book.

gemlover7476

Rough_Rock
My first was Shuman''s Gemstones of the World, I currently have three copies.

also have:

smithsonian:
The Mineral Kingdon
Rock and Gem

Matlin:
Gem Identification Made Easy
Jewelry and Gems
Colored Gemstones

Newman:
Gemstone Buying Guide

Wise:
Secrets of the Gem Trade

Jacquet:
Rock, Gem and Mineral Collecting Sites in Western North Carolina

Murphy:
Carolina Rocks!

Audobon Society:
Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals

Crowe:
The Jewelers Directory of Gemstones

Anderson and Payne:
The Spectroscope and Gemmology

Rygle and Pederson:
Southeast Treasure Hunter''s Gem and Mineral Guide

Sinclair:
Moods in Wire

Moore:
A Roadside Guide to the Geology of the Great Smokey Mountains Park

Several printoffs from Gemology websites.

GIA distance learning texts.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results