shape
carat
color
clarity

Body Shapers??

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anyone have recs for good brands/designs (or stay the heck aways)?

I want one specifically for my wedding dress, but I'd like to be able to reuse it. Wedding dress has sleeves, high collar, lace front, but most of my other dresses are strapless so I'd prefer something that would cater to that.

I'm 115/5'5", and I have a lower abdomen pooch that I'm never going to be rid of :rolleyes: Don't really have a budget... if there's something that will definitely get rid of it I'll have a bake sale if necessary!

Help!!

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried Spanx? I tried them on at Dillard's last weekend. They have a lot of options. A little pricey though. I was looking at the high waist kind with the legs. They avg. $70. I bought a cheaper brand for trying on dresses at stores, but once I have my dress picked out I will go with Spanx :)

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
It's funny you should bring this up Yssie, I myself was searching the internet last night for body shapers.

I've tried a couple of the different Spanx lines and I will say it's really more convenient to just order them off the website: http://www.spanx.com/category/index.jsp?categoryId=2992553&clickid=topnav_shapers_txt The "mid-thigh shapers" are probably what you are looking for, unless you really just want tummy control in which case you could go with a shaping brief. I've never used a brief though because I'm afraid I'd have lines from it cutting into my tuchus.

I have tried both the "Higher Power" mid-thigh shaper and the "Power Panties" mid-thigh, as well as the Assets line (run by the same company, just cheaper, sold at Target, etc) power panty mid-thigh shaper. The Higher Power has a high waistband that comes up to right beneath your bra-line. The waistband is pretty substantial, ostensibly to prevent it from flopping over but in reality, it just flops over and looks weird under your clothes. I've been really dissatisfied with the Higher Power. I'm sure it works for some people, but the combination of the thick back seam and the floppy thick high waist band really kill it for me.

I've had better luck with the Power Panties style, that just come up to your natural waist and smooth you out through the hip and butt. Unfortunately I have pretty big hips so they never make it quiiiite up to my natural waist and as it settles during the day I get some cutting in that gives me a line, if I don't get to a restroom to adjust two or three times. Also when you sit down, if you seriously have no tone on your stomach (my problem, I'm lazy), it will cut you in half. You look great standing up, though.

I see that Spanx has some new lines, and I'm kind of interested in trying out the "Slimplicity" high-waist shaper, just because the waistband looks a lot thinner and less bulky than the Higher Power. The Skinny Britches might be an opportunity too, but they are REALLY SHEER. Indecently so, unless you layer them.

ETA: In the name of SCIENCE I am going to order a half slip, a Slimplicity high waist, and a power panty to be named later to see which one works the best. :bigsmile:

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I just used the Spanx Higher Power high-waist, mid-thigh shaper as a bridesmaid, and it was okay. Not as powerful as I would have liked, and I felt that it stretched out and lost some of its "power" as the day went on. I see that they have a new "Super Higher Power," which could be better. I agree that the waistband is pretty thick, but I didn't have any problems with it rolling, so I guess it just depends on the person wearing it. The Simplicity does look nicer in that respect, but is much more expensive! I wonder how much more powerful it is...

I also have a shaper from Bali that's basically the same thing as the regular Higher Power, and it works about the same (though cheaper) but doesn't have the crotch opening. I don't know whether that's an issue for you or not.

I tried on a couple shapers by Miraclesuit at Macy's, and they definitely felt like they sucked me in more than the Spanx do. But I still didn't see enough "shaping" to justify getting them when I already have a couple others. There might be a true "miracle" suit out there, but unfortunately I haven't found it yet!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the reviews!

hoofbeats - I haven't tried anything yet, this will be my first experience with these things. I've heard a ton about Spanx, but I was hoping for some personal opinions one way or another 8)

ts - I'm leaning toward the mid-thigh design too, I definitely don't want lines in the dress. I'm so glad you brought up the waistband designs - the flop was another thing I wondered about! I think I'll buy something with an included bra, just so that isn't an issue... Please do share the results of your study :bigsmile:

Octavia - I have a short torso, so I usually find that things do tend to 'roll' on the waist :sick: Thanks for the miraclesuit info! I'll check that out Tomorrow at the mall.

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Yssie, if you want a shaper that includes a bra, your selection is going to be pared down quite a bit. Most of them are either not strapless, or are slips rather than waist-and-thigh shapers. I had one of the bra + slip shapers and the bottom rolled up all the time (sometimes quite suddenly!), so beware of that. Spanx doesn't have a shaper that is the equivalent of the Higher Power + strapless bra, they only have the strapless + slip or camisole + thigh shaper styles. The only one I know of that fits the criteria is this: http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=177221&CategoryID=27300. I tried it and found the bra part kind of scratchy, there is a seam that hit right across...the place you don't want a seam. It might fit you differently, though.

Also, if you have a Nordstrom nearby, I noticed that my local store has a much better selection than the website does. So it could be a good place to try.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Octavia - I went to the local nordstrom today, they had a TON of stuff - definitely more if you're not looking for the included bra, you're right about that, but enough that I felt like I'd tried on enough to make a somewhat educated choice.. I tried on that miraclesuit actually - the bra felt horribly uncomfortable but WOW, instant tummy tuck!

I wound up choosing a flexees strapless unitard online on the recommendation of the SA - she said it fits and sucks like the miraclesuit but the bra is slightly padded and not so -pointy, for lack of a better descriptor. They didn't have one in store in my size so I ordered online from Amazon.com, I hope I like it!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I'm glad you found one! I hadn't seen that one before but I just googled it and it looks perfect...I will definitely keep this thread in mind for the next time I need something like that. I'm sure it will make you look amazing in your dress!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Threadjack/

Am I the only one that feels a little boxy-looking in a shaper?

I' have Spanx (I haven't used mine in years..its basically stretch and covers your thighs and is highwaisted too), and I feel like it does suck me in and smooth out my profile, but I felt like it squished me in so I lost some of the shape from my hip-to-waist ratio. I felt like I looked block-y and all in all, felt like I was more attractive with a little chub and some curves than with the Spanx where I looked sort of solid and less shapely. Perhaps their engineering has changed over the years and the product has a different effect? Regardless, I'm looking forward to reading your reviews Yssie!

/Threadjack over.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
Something to consider with the spanx higher power-I'm short waist-ed and found it was too long for me, causing the material to not quite stretch out the way it was supposed to.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Indy - I sure will! :bigsmile:

maya - yes, I discovered that too when trying things on. They're still fitted and pull you in somewhat, but it' nothing like getting one that's specifically designed for a slightly shorter torso..I found that the two under-bust miraclesuits I tried on were a much better fit on my body than spanx.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
My shapers still haven't arrived yet, boo! I am long waisted so the Spanx Higher Power always seemed to hit me where it ought to, it just never stayed there. I hope the thinner waistband on the Slimplicity solves the problem, otherwise I will be using my tried-and-true Assets shaping shorts and not letting the photog take pictures of me when I'm sitting down.

Also, this might be kind of gross but....has ANYBODY ever successfully used that "gusset" they put into these so you don't have to take them off when you gotta go? I'm terrified to even try.

mayachel

Brilliant_Rock
I agree that the image in my head of using that gusseted opening WHILE managing a wedding dress just doesn't compute.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't dare try the gusset either, no matter what style - what if you - miss :errrr:

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
My shapers arrived last night! The Slimplicity mid-thigh is really quite good. It stays up at the waistband and isn't as confining and uncomfortable as the Higher Power. The thin waistband doesn't show under my clothes and while it does come down a little in the back (I think they all do, to a degree), the material is thinner and doesn't create a line. I'm really glad I got this one, I'm definitely going to use it instead of the Higher Power when I need that kind of shaping.

The real winner for me is the half-slip! the waistband comes up just as high as a body shaper but is completely non-binding. It's so comfortable! And when I sit down, there's no line across my stomach. I'm going to wear it for my final fitting and see what the seamstress thinks. I'd prefer to wear a slip anyway for breathability since I'm going to be married in August. I just have to find some really good skivvies to wear under it. :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome ts, I'm glad you found something you really like!

And ITA on the slip in August..

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Yssie said:
I wouldn't dare try the gusset either, no matter what style - what if you - miss :errrr:

Had no choice at the aforesaid wedding...you'd be surprised at how accurate you can be when you're TERRIFIED. I couldn't get the damn thing off because the stupid dress came in too small so there was no wiggle room and I wasn't about to unzip and take it off completely, so the choice was either use the gusset or hold it...and since I was in that dress for 15 hours, holding it wasn't much of an option. Verdict? Not fun. Dangerous, even. But, if it's an absolute necessity, it can be done.

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
Octavia said:
Yssie said:

Had no choice at the aforesaid wedding...you'd be surprised at how accurate you can be when you're TERRIFIED. I couldn't get the damn thing off because the stupid dress came in too small so there was no wiggle room and I wasn't about to unzip and take it off completely, so the choice was either use the gusset or hold it...and since I was in that dress for 15 hours, holding it wasn't much of an option. Verdict? Not fun. Dangerous, even. But, if it's an absolute necessity, it can be done.

Good god Octavia, you're my hero. It's good to know it can be done, though I think I would have to be equally terrified to try it.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
This thread inspired me to go body shaper shopping. I've never worn one before, and I picked out two that seemed to do best in the fitting room: the Miraclesuit Extra Firm Control with Wonderful Edge and the Naomi & Nicole Amazing Light Hi-Waist Thigh Slimmer. The Miraclesuit one took about 0.75" off my waist and about 1.75" off my hips. The Naomi & Nicole one actually added 0.5" to my waist but took off 2.25" off my hips. The MS one though is hot & heavy whereas the N&N is light and it's not a terrible burden to wear. I'm going to my first fitting this week and I'll see what (if anything) I need. Since my dress is corseted I'm hoping that I can get away with no body shaper and that the corset will do the job for me. If it needs some help then the N&N would be my first choice, as I think wearing the other I'd be miserable in. And I have no intentions of being miserable on my wedding day. But I'd be happiest with no body shaper!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ts44 said:
Octavia said:
Yssie said:

Good god Octavia, you're my hero. It's good to know it can be done, though I think I would have to be equally terrified to try it.

Seriously! :-o Octavia, you're braver than me! Though I guess sometimes you really just don't have an alternative..!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well - my Flexees came in!

And I'm not sure how I feel. It's fantastic - it does exactly what it claims to, takes inches off my waist and hips (and completely eliminates the pooch that inspired this!), but goodness, I wore it around for a few hours yesterday and after about three hours I was so, so uncomfortable! The material is very stretchy and silky, but it pulls and tugs (well, obviously :rolleyes: ) and I have to take conscious care not to waddle after a bit, or start walking without bending like a stick insect..

I guess they're not the miracle cures I was hoping for, afterall ;( I'm hoping another month on the treadmill will do the impossible, and then... we'll evaluate closer to day-of.

Final verdict: fabulous, for what you're expecting, it's the side-effects that have me second guessing// I will say that the bra on the flexees is wonderful - just a wee bit of pushup, and it's very comfortable and fits perfectly, and looks fine under clothes, which were my issues with the miraclesuit.

sillyberry

Brilliant_Rock
Getting the Higher Power on and off is a b!tch, particularly after a few glasses of wine when peeing becomes a matter of great importance, and so I've used the gusset. I was freaked out at first, but honestly, by the end of the night it just seemed so darn convenient. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't messy at all. Forgive me for the TMI. :D

And I agree about the rolling at the top of the Higher Power. It can be super annoying.

legallyspoiled

Shiny_Rock
I've heard EXCELLENT things about the "body magic" but I think they are pretty expensive.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
sillyberry said:
Getting the Higher Power on and off is a b!tch, particularly after a few glasses of wine when peeing becomes a matter of great importance, and so I've used the gusset. I was freaked out at first, but honestly, by the end of the night it just seemed so darn convenient. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't messy at all. Forgive me for the TMI. :D

And I agree about the rolling at the top of the Higher Power. It can be super annoying.

I have a body shapper with a gusset opening and I LOVE it! Granted, mine doesn't go down the leg at all. It's just more like a strapless swimsuit with snaps at the bottom and it's awesome while wearing a dress!

I used it on my wedding day but I honestly didn't use the restroom from when I put my gown on to when I took it off at the end of the night. I have no idea how that happened as I have the bladder the size of a peanut, but I digress.

Don't knock the gusset till you've tried it. :tongue:

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
IndyLady said:
Threadjack/

Am I the only one that feels a little boxy-looking in a shaper?

I' have Spanx (I haven't used mine in years..its basically stretch and covers your thighs and is highwaisted too), and I feel like it does suck me in and smooth out my profile, but I felt like it squished me in so I lost some of the shape from my hip-to-waist ratio. I felt like I looked block-y and all in all, felt like I was more attractive with a little chub and some curves than with the Spanx where I looked sort of solid and less shapely. Perhaps their engineering has changed over the years and the product has a different effect? Regardless, I'm looking forward to reading your reviews Yssie!

/Threadjack over.

I was reading through all these posts trying to figure out if I was the only one that felt this way until I came to your experience! I too feel the spanx make me look blocky! I lost all my curves and it seems to just smash everything into one small area which smoothes but doesn't do anything for shaping at all! My best comparison for me is that I just went to my 2nd dress fitting today. At the first fitting I wore spanx under my dress and I felt like square block, this time I didn't wear them and my waist and hourglass curve was visible in the dress. Last time it was not! This to me confirms that the spanx are not a bonus to me under my wedding dress.

I am wearing a strapless dress, so I can't quite experiment with the one you bought Yssie, but I hope it works out great for you and I'll have to check it out next time I'm at Nordstrom!

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Oh darn...I responded before seeing your follow up, Yssie. Sorry it didn't turn out to be more comfortable. :(

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha sept, I'm not sure why I expected something that sucks you in so much you lose an inch to be comfortable 8)

I didn't feel blocky, though - maybe 'cause my hips are big enough that they're very visible even with some smooshage ;( :wacko:

septsparkle

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie said:
Haha sept, I'm not sure why I expected something that sucks you in so much you lose an inch to be comfortable 8)

I didn't feel blocky, though - maybe 'cause my hips are big enough that they're very visible even with some smooshage ;( :wacko:

Yeah, I guess we are asking for a lot....we want to look slimmer, smooth, be comfortable and be able to pee. Hehe. That is asking a lot. huh? :cheeky:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
septsparkle said:
Yssie said:

Yeah, I guess we are asking for a lot....we want to look slimmer, smooth, be comfortable and be able to pee. Hehe. That is asking a lot. huh? :cheeky:

:devil:

ts44

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie said:
septsparkle said:
Yssie said:

:devil:

We can put men on the moon, but still can't create a shaper that does all that. :wacko:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results