shape
carat
color
clarity

Bob's Flashes - Cavity in Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I get asked a number of questions by e-mail and by phone as well as here that will benefit any non-gemologist. I will be giving short bits of information. I will try to keep it simple so that I don''t rub someone the wrong way but if another gemologist wants to put in his 2 cents, feel free.

Cavity - as in an inclusion on a GIA or another Diamond Grading Report. A cavity is a hole that reaches the surface of a diamond. A VS2 that has a cavity on the GIA reprot has a very small cavity not visible to the eye but if you put the diamond under a microscope and look at it in reflected light, it would be easy to see. You can take a needle and actually feel it. These are caused by negative crystals, pulled crystals or voids in the diamond. They are natural not man made like laser drill holes. I have seen a cavity on a diamond large enough to place another diamond the size of .10 ct inside of it.

read.gif

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
What a great idea, Diamond Bob!
9.gif
This will great help for everyone when reading their Certs and reports.

WOW about that cavity size!!!
eek.gif

Just a suggestion for you, if I may. Post the Topic title in the Thread title as well. When people search the forums, your knowledgeable and informative posts will be returned in the search.

When I was researching, as an example girdle, only the posts with the word I entered, girdle, in the title came up. Many other threads have info, as I learned, on the subjects I tried to "topic" search.
2.gif

Again, GREAT IDEA, and keep 'em cummin!!!
appl.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Bob. This thread should make for great reading!

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Suggestion noted. Bob's Flashes - Cavity
Thanks...any suggestions are helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results