shape
carat
color
clarity

BN Very good cut, better then ideal?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Eagles4523

Rough_Rock
I am curious about cut, I know it is the most important, but what is the most reliable statistic, what the website tells us, or what the HCA score is? I am looking at this diamond right now
Blue Nile

The HCA score was 1.2, which would lead me to believe that even though it is only rated "very good" by BN and GIA, it may be ideal to the consumer. Is this a correct statement, or do the GIA ratings really need to be excellent or ideal, and then you check the HCA score to rule it out from there?

Thanks for any responses!!

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Someone else can correct me if I am wrong, but the BN diamond has a med-thick girdle and I don't think GIA will give an excellent for anything over slightly thick. BN is following those guidelines as well. I'm not sure what that does to the HCA score, because the HCA assumes a medium girdle. How much the extra thickness affects light performance someone else will have to answer.

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
The HCA is an eliminational tool; its job it to help weed out stones that are less likely to perform well. Because it''s not a selection tool, it shouldn''t be prioritized over the grading report.

As far as it may be ideal to the consumer, keep in mind that ideal (little I) isn''t a regulated term; it''s akin to "best" in a good-better-best metrix.

What you do know is that the diamond earns a grade of very good from GIA, and it scores under 2 on the HCA. Whether or not that''s a good fit for you depends on your buying criteria. For someone who need super-duper cut for mind-clean reasons, the VG may not do it for him. For someone who may not mind falling just below super-duper-louper to get the most out of budget, this might be a great stone to consider.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 4/8/2009 11:21:24 PM
Author: jet2ks
Someone else can correct me if I am wrong, but the BN diamond has a med-thick girdle and I don't think GIA will give an excellent for anything over slightly thick.
That's right.

I'm not sure what that does to the HCA score, because the HCA assumes a medium girdle. How much the extra thickness affects light performance someone else will have to answer.
Read Allison's comments regarding the HCA as a rejection tool. There is some accounting for spread vs depth, but it's not terribly specific.

How much the extra thickness affects light performance someone else will have to answer.
In this case not so much. The spread is not overly-diminished so the girdle likely strays a bit into the TK area. Grading reports don't give enough information for a thorough analysis. Although they include many data points about cut most of those points are averages of numbers or, in the case of GIA, rounded averages. It's why we prefer actual imagery of the diamond to make a meaningful prediction - two diamonds with the same cut grade can have competely different looks.

Eagles4523

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyones responses, I will take them into account in the decision process. I am happy because I think I know a million things more about diamond quality then my soon to be fiance (hopefully), so I think no matter what I end up deciding on it will look great to her. I am just trying to get the best bang for my buck in the process. I am getting very "nitpicky" about this process, which is definitely important, but I also think I am starting to obsess a little. I am going to have to set a purchase date I think so I dont keep stressing over getting the best possible diamond for the cheapest price (cheap being $7,000 of course). Thanks for everyones help so far in the process!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results