shape
carat
color
clarity

Bluff Stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
I have seen this term bantered about. Sometimes in a good light - sometimes not.

What exactly is a bluff stone?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
But, if you are paying for what you are getting, why would this necessarily be a bad approach? Wouldn't this be a good seller for dealers? (provided they market as it's specs)

Does it become an issue when people overpay for such stones?

Where is the line drawn? By all admission, on paper my stone should not be as pretty, clean & white as it is. It's an I/SI w/ med/strong blue fluor & very good (not excellent) make. I paid exactly in line for what the paper says. It looks better than it should. So, by that definition, I would consider my stone to be "bluff". But, in the scheme of things an I/SI stone isn't "poor quality".

Also, Rich called a stone a "bluff" stone b/c of it's size appearance - had a 3c spread for a 2.5c stone.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I dunno. Maybe one of the experts will chime in. To my mind, it means someone getting a huge, impressive diamond but not realizing that it might not be all that attractive to a knowledgable eye. Or an inclusion that a layperson won't notice, especially mounted, but that will be really obvious to anyone observant.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
A "bluff" stone is one which looks better than it's 4 C's would indicate.

Let's say you had a K color with strong blue fluorescence, a nearly eyeclean I1, with a 3 carat spread but only weighing 2.70 carats and having an AGA 3A cut but a crown/pavilion angle combination that the HCA would love.

On paper it might look like a dog, but in real life it could blow your socks off.

That's a bluff stone. One which all the connoiseurs would turn their nose up at, but the average person would say "Wow!".

The term is more a general overall term than a specific one pertaining to any particular set of characteristics. Locally we sometimes refer to a bluff stone as having "the look". A bluff stone with "the look" will be more difficult to sell on the internet because it looks bad on paper, but easy to sell out of a bricks and mortar store because it catches the eye and goes easy on the pocketbook.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Elementary Dr. Sherwood.

Thanks.

What does the trade think of these stones? Understand the hard to sell over the internet.

Also, am I the only nut whose nuts about Bl. Fluor. I don't care about resale, which seems to be an issue.

canadiangrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I *think* would take a well cut, D/E/F, reasonably eyeclean I1 round brilliant...over a well cut, I/J, eyeclean SI2. It would probably be classified as a bluff stone, but je m'en fiche.
1.gif

Provided that you're not looking to resell in a secondary market at some point, a bluff stone might be a good deal. However, I can imagine they'd be hard to sell, sight unseen. Look at all the questions that get posed on this forum on the worthiness of VS2's.
1.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/30/2003 7:04:47 PM Richard Sherwood wrote:

A 'bluff' stone is one which looks better than it's 4 C's would indicate.

----------------

So, would it mean that to a D/IF person that a "bluff" stone to them would be a really nice F/VVS stone? Where does one draw the line?

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 9/30/2003 8:22:17 PM canadiangrrl wrote:

Provided that you're not looking to resell in a secondary market at some point, a bluff stone might be a good deal. .
1.gif
----------------

Actually, a "pretty" bluff stone would be significantly easier to sell, especially on the secondary market. Most stones are not bought sight unseen.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results