shape
carat
color
clarity

***** blueroses says "YES, PLEASE!!" *****

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
We.

ARE.

ENGAGED!!!!!

Wow. It's been a whirlwind 24 hours or so. I mentioned on another thread how I was really thinking it would happen last night. He's been dropping funny hints about our weekly date night, strange errands, telling me to get batteries in the camera, champagne in the fridge and lots of others I can't remember now. But I had a strong hunch.

So I get home from teaching yesterday and I'm told I'm totally free until 6, then I'll get further instruction. I hang out on the couch on PS, my heart pounding out of my chest, etc. Meanwhile, at 5pm he gets in the shower, shaves per my specifications (I'm told it's one of twice-in-a-lifetime that I get full control over his face....I go with close-cut beard. That or clean are my preference!)

SO he gets ready and puts on a button-down and tie, gets all cute looking...I confirm that I'm dressing up. I ask for guidelines about temperature, etc. and am told I should choose something that makes me feel beautiful and sexy...I narrow down options and he adds the other possible guidelines of elegant, sleek, modern. And that it won't be cold, I can wear whatever shoes (not a lot of walking) and we'll be "seen by a lot of people." So by this time, I'm like--CERTAIN this is it, he's proposing tonight. I make a point to choose Freke-worthy shoes.

Then he starts cooking--throws on the apron and gets to it. SO I'm thinking, hmmm, dinner here, THEN out somewhere? I get dressed, and am moving around the apartment--getting hot rollers, etc.--and see a big pile of presents on our ottomon--with BIRTHDAY wrapping paper. Now, my 35th birthday is June 21st. This is one of the things (supposedly) that he's been doing super-secret stuff about. I suddenly think I'm an idiot. This is a wonderful surprise early b-day dinner since I KNOW we have a booked schedule next week. Then I think, what is WRONG with me! I have the most wonderful man in the world for me, I know for a fact it's going to happen sometime soon, and all I can do is fixate about engagement? Duh! Why can't I just enjoy this for what it is!

We have this fabulous beet (my favorite) salad and a glass of pinot grigio. He tells me what this is all about, basically saying, "Welcome to your birthday dinner." B-days are a big deal for him, and with no real chance to do something on the day, this is it. HE also made a toast to his wonderful "GIRLFRIEND." I try to keep being zen and enjoy. I know in the back of my head it could still be it, but feel silly and go with it.

Second course is this INSANE braised pork loin with apple reduction, pasta with simple cream sauce, baked apples...so yummy. For dessert he made a souflee (vanilla, since I'm less of a chocolate freak than he is.) It totally didn't rise, so we called it "Lump of Egg". (lump d'oeuf!)

It's present time. I ask if we should pop the champagne or just keep drinking wine--he says, my choice, doesn't matter, the champagne doesn't have anything to specifically do with the gifts. (I am so dense.)

He has me open them in a particular order. (None of them was small and shaped like a ring box.) It is all kind of fuzzy and hazy and veryvery focused in my memory. Like, I *KNEW* this might be it, but I just didn't let myself believe it AT. ALL. First was a tube of those glow-sticks you wear as necklaces at Disneyland--just silly. Next were several little pairs of knickers from Frederick's. Que Fancy! Then a BIG, HEAVY package...which bless his heart, was a gift-wrapped TWELVE-PACK of diet coke! I love him. Finally came the last one: the one he'd been spending all this time on.

It was a scrapbook. An incredibly intricate, detailed, heartfelt crafty scrapbook with photos of us and sayings about love and ribbons and cool paper, etc. on every page. I didn't really notice but he got down on the floor to go through it with me. I'm crying--it's all overwhelming, whether it's a proposal, or just the incredible good fortune I have of finally, finally having this amazing man as my partner--I'm crying and sobbing...we get to the next-to-last page and it's a Romeo and Juliet quote I know well (across from a shot of us in our 3-D glasses seeing UP) and he says, "Well, I didn't mean to make you cry on your birthday celebration" *turns page* "But I might make you cry some more when I ask you to marry me." As he's said this and flipped the page, I see on the left side a shot of us with a quote: Now I know what love is.....and on the right side, there's the RING hanging off the paper petals of a ribbon-flower in the center of the page, with the words above it: Will you marry me. I see that he's on one knee and he says, "Will you marry me?" I sniffle out, "Yes....PLEASE!!" And he, apparently, put the ring on my finger, though I don't even remember that. I asked him to ask me again a few minutes later.

It was so wonderful. Peaceful. Easy. Thrilling. I AM SO HAPPY!!!

Even though we designed the ring together, even though I was pretty sure it was coming, he STILL shocked the hell out of me. Funny. I found out he HAD gone over to talk to my Dad on Wednesday. I knew he'd gone over there, but he played it off so well I believed that it wasn't "the" talk. He's had the ring for a week and shown EVERYONE! Friends, Dad, colleagues, landlord....and I was clueless. He even called my best friend in NY and told her on Thursday...the same best friend I called yesterday and said, "ok, I think it's happening!!" She played it very cool.

We spent the morning calling everyone, then had two separate bbqs to attend (my parents were at the second). I have some pics for LIW, but will probably not have time for a SMTR thread until Monday. I also need some good natural light for close-ups. These are mostly engagement night pics, not ring eye-candy.

He was very tricky--he got through this whole thing without a single lie. Lots of misdirection and obfuscating, but all true. Turned out we weren't going anywhere else--the dressing up was all for us at home. The "lots of people seeing us" was b/c he knew I'd be posting things online!!

OK. Made some picture collages, I REALLY hope they aren't too big.

So--Jcarlylew--can you please take number 95 OFF THE LIST!!!!

WOOHOO!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

We are talking to our priest tomorrow and setting a date ASAP. Our engagement seems to even be the start of serious fence-mending with his estranged brother, who's thrilled for us. My nephews liked the idea of a new uncle, though their sister said, "nnnOOO." Of course, she's 15 months old, so...we'll let it slide ;-)

THANK YOU to PS for so much support and good energy. And SERIOUS, SERIOUS DUSSSSSTTTT to all the ladies on the list. Dust Dust Dust!

(For the record, I'm not sure I endorse the "engagement d'oeuf." I'd stick with the chicken.
2.gif

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Collage #1

My then-boyfriend in action cooking dinner...hmmmm, that boy''s got a SECRET!

BRFIdin.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Pictures together (it was sinking in that it was "just" my birthday dinner)
&
Presents!

BRFIdina.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
1st course

BRFIdinb.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
MMM. We like food.

BRFIdin2.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
He is a brilliant, amazing cook (his mom is a French-trained chef.) BUT. His souffles never rise.

BRFIdinc.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Being silly and enjoying the moment. The one on the left was a re-take of one a moment before and I said, "OH, we have to get the ring in there!!"

BRFIdinf.JPG

pinkstars

Brilliant_Rock
What an incredibly sweet and wonderful proposal!!! All of the pictures are lovely!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!
You two look so happy!!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Love this one. More serious ring shots to come later, but this is one of my favorites that I have so far.

BRFIding.JPG

lilmissrugger

Shiny_Rock
Oh my god, congratulations!!! That is such a sweet, thoughtful proposal! (even with the non-risen souffle!) I hope the engagement goes well, and those pictures are so sweet!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much, pinkstars and lilmissrugger!! That''s how it felt: sweet and wonderful. Yay
30.gif

(And the lump of egg part just makes a better story!!)

Picture: The cover of the scrapbook, and us being silly. We do a LOT of that.

BRFIdinh.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
The "booty" (teehee) from the evening...quite a haul! And I forgot about the bubblebath. I had tried and failed to find some at the drug store last month, and he got two in totally non-hateful scents. (I''m really sensitive to smell.) He was SO THOUGHTFUL!

BRFIdinj.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Freke-worthy?

(These are the Nina knock-off of the Manolos Carrie had stolen from Tatum O''Neal''s baby shower.)

justforfreke43.JPG

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
That''s all, folks! We are amazingly happy, and I promise more/better/pricescope-worthy pictures when I do a SMTR thread after the weekend.

30.gif

BRFIdinl.JPG

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I KNEW IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, Freke!!!! Yeah, it kind of explained the radio silence, huh??

Thanks for the input and support
35.gif

YAY!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Our sincerest congratulations to the happy and gorgeous couple! I adore your ring, but honestly it''s the look on your faces that captivates. I''m so thrilled for you both.
36.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gah! I had to post congrats before I read/looked at everything! Yay for sexy shoes!!!!! And you looked absolutely beautiful!! (Love that hair!)

(And tell your FI that I''ll teach him how to make souffles that will rise. Speaking as an American-trained pastry chef...trained in souffle-making by an European trained uber-awesome pastry chef....)

9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

OMG! I''m just so excited for you!!!! Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, any idea about dates/general time frame yet or have you not talked about it in detail yet?

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
congratulations, blueroses!!

what a lovely proposal! i CRIED when i saw the photos and i just lOVE that one of you with wet eyes and a runny nose; none of us ever look our most cool when we''re responding sincerely to something that really moves us. so this shot is perfect :)

congratulations again, and best wishes for a wonderful life together.

Po10472

Brilliant_Rock
Awwww, lovely story.

Congratulations to you both!!!

Your ering is stunning, can''t wait to see close-ups so I an add it to the ECs collection thread.

Po
x

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congratulations blueroses! I''m so unbelievably thrilled for you. That''s amazing news!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
CONGRATULATIONS BLUEROSES!!!!!!!!!!

What an awesome, awesome guy you have!! All the best for a wonderful life together!!!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
OH MY WORD!!! What a cute story! Congrats, I''m so happy for you! That is a gorgeous ring and you make a gorgeous couple.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sweetheart, MANY congrats to you both!!! I couldn''t be happier for you!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

hawaiianorangetree

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations!! What a beautiful story, i got all teared up reading it.
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No one deserves this more than you-your fiance (!!!) sounds totally fabulous. What a wonderful man, proposal, and ring!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results