shape
carat
color
clarity

Bluenile Princess Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

surprise

Rough_Rock
I would like some help picking a princess cut from Bluenile. I have been doing some research, but with a trip coming up with my girlfriend, I need to make a decision! I like the setting I found at BN, I like the return policy, and I just like knowing the company is large and reputable. That being said, I am by no means a diamond expert.

I have picked this setting: http://www.bluenile.com/platinum-diamond-ring_6260?filter_id=1

My budget for a diamond is about $4000.

Also, my girlfriend has small hands and wears a size 5 ring. I think 0.8 - 1.0 carats would give the ring a nice full look. Does this sound about right?

If I have done my research right I believe I am looking for...
Color: D-F
Clarity: VVS2-VS2

I would love some advice finding a good cut (maybe some good BN examples) and I''m sure I could use some suggestions. Thanks for everyones help!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome!

Firstly unless you really prefer D/F VVS then that will eat up a lot of the budget and you may need to go smaller if you want to stick to such high colour and clarity. It is cut which gives a diamond its beauty, so that is the key factor which will get you a pretty rock. You could consider G or H colour if you wish and VS or even some SI clarities if eyeclean if you are agreeable - but if not no problem, just a suggestion!

BN are an excellent vendor but unfortunately with Princess shapes they do not provide the info which is essential to make an educated purchase such as ASET images and detailed photos. You can of course purchase from there if you prefer, they do have a 30 day return policy.

Vendors which have in house Princess which are hand selected and of top cut quality in some cases are -

www.highperformancediamonds.com

www.goodoldgold.com

www.whiteflash.com

Take a look at these vendors and see what you think, we can widen the net if we can't find anything that might suit you if needed.

Here is a well cut Princess, it is F colour and SI clarity, it is a bit over budget though

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3779/

This one could be a great choice and within budget

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5574/

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto what Miss Lorelei said. If BN carried AGS0 stones, that would be different, but unfortunately I don''t see any (nor have I ever) for Princess. I would suggest going with someone who can give you pics. The only caveat is, BN won''t sell their settings seperately. I can''t get your link to work for me, but I was going to suggest trying to find a similar setting with another vendor, that''s a possibilty.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 7:39:15 AM
Author: Ellen
Ditto what Miss Lorelei said. If BN carried AGS0 stones, that would be different, but unfortunately I don''t see any (nor have I ever) for Princess. I would suggest going with someone who can give you pics. The only caveat is, BN won''t sell their settings seperately. I can''t get your link to work for me, but I was going to suggest trying to find a similar setting with another vendor, that''s a possibilty.
Try this linkie

http://www.bluenile.com/platinum-diamond-ring_6260?filter_id=1

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, Ellen makes an excellent point about the setting.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 9:13:52 AM

Date: 3/11/2009 8:23:33 AM
Author: Lorelei

Try this linkie

http://www.bluenile.com/platinum-diamond-ring_6260?filter_id=1
Thank you mam!
Most welcome pal!
35.gif

surprise

Rough_Rock
I guess one reason I stayed away from the other vendors is I didn''t like their settings quite as much. I really want something with baguettes as well as inlaid sidestones. Any suggestions here? Also, as I said before, I''m in a little bit of a time crunch...

Although bluenile doesn''t have the same kind selection available, but from what I have heard, they still sell a very high quality diamond. And if for some reason, this isn''t the case, I can always exchange it.

As far as the info about shapes. They have table and depth %''s. Is more needed than that?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 9:49:11 AM
Author: surprise
I guess one reason I stayed away from the other vendors is I didn't like their settings quite as much. I really want something with baguettes as well as inlaid sidestones. Any suggestions here? Also, as I said before, I'm in a little bit of a time crunch...

Although bluenile doesn't have the same kind selection available, but from what I have heard, they still sell a very high quality diamond. And if for some reason, this isn't the case, I can always exchange it.

As far as the info about shapes. They have table and depth %'s. Is more needed than that?

Yes, most definitely. It is cut quality which gives a diamond its beauty. With rounds you can evaluate a diamond for cut somewhat by the proportions. With a Princess or other fancy shapes it is not possible. This is why images such as ASET and detailed photos are so important. Depth and table really don't tell you anything with Princess, they don't even give you much of a chalk outline of the diamond. So it depends on you, the best we can do is to make suggestions rather than recommendations of diamonds or purchase methods in our consumer capacities and offer the best advice we can to help you achieve your goals. If you are amenable to ordering a BN Princess and seeing if you like it when it arrives then thats fine, just not how I would approach it as personally I would want a lot more info so I knew exactly what I was buying for cut quality and beauty.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guess one reason I stayed away from the other vendors is I didn't like their settings quite as much. I really want something with baguettes as well as inlaid sidestones. Any suggestions here? Also, as I said before, I'm in a little bit of a time crunch...

Although bluenile doesn't have the same kind selection available, but from what I have heard, they still sell a very high quality diamond. And if for some reason, this isn't the case, I can always exchange it.

As far as the info about shapes. They have table and depth %'s. Is more needed than that?
Not for fancy cuts like princess. You will need images like ASET to access the cut performance. If you want to risk it, there is a BN signature ideal that fits your criteria, slightly lower in color, but as we have no idea what criteria GCAL uses to grade them, I cannot recommend that in good faith. http://www.bluenile.com/princess-cut-diamond-1-carat-or-less-signature-ideal-cut-g-color-vvs2-clarity_LD01021081?__fun_frm=i&filter_id=0

Check with other vendors bout the setting, they might be able to recommend you one that is not on their online list.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How long do you have to put this ring together by the way?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Here's one shown with a round. I couldn't find the same one with a Princess, but they might make one. It looks like rounds inlaid, not sure if that would bother you, but they are more sparkly, which isn't a bad thing.
5.gif

You could email Marie at GOG and ask about it, and also the price. Not sure what your budget is.

http://shop.goodoldgold.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/33200/catid/265

And if you wanted to go with GOG (Lore's links), that .78 is facing up (how big it looks) the same as the .90, and slightly larger than the HPD diamond. And well within your budget.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Ditto what my friends have said about the value of both AGS0, and reflector images.

In contrast to what Ellen says, though...

unfortunately I don''t see any (nor have I ever) for Princess.
I have seen zeros at Blue Nile...but not today, or very recently. Also, particularly, Excel used to represent enough, that they had a whole category of them to search through on their web site....but no more. Some channel or availability to a channel has dried up.

Based on the reported difficulty of optimizing choice with a princess, I wouldn''t muck around too much...but go with someone who a) has experience selecting among them, and b) will get them in house, if they''re not there already, for that purpose.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ira, I never said they didn''t carry AGS0 Princess, just that I''ve never seen any in my looking.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 10:25:20 AM

I guess one reason I stayed away from the other vendors is I didn''t like their settings quite as much. I really want something with baguettes as well as inlaid sidestones. Any suggestions here? Also, as I said before, I''m in a little bit of a time crunch...

Although bluenile doesn''t have the same kind selection available, but from what I have heard, they still sell a very high quality diamond. And if for some reason, this isn''t the case, I can always exchange it.

As far as the info about shapes. They have table and depth %''s. Is more needed than that?
Here''s one shown with a round. I couldn''t find the same one with a Princess, but they might make one. It looks like rounds inlaid, not sure if that would bother you, but they are more sparkly, which isn''t a bad thing.
5.gif

You could email Marie at GOG and ask about it, and also the price. Not sure what your budget is.

And if you wanted to go with GOG (Lore''s links), that .78 is facing up (how big it looks) the same as the .90, and slightly larger than the HPD diamond. And well within your budget.
Thats a lovely setting Miss - good job!!!!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 10:40:44 AM
Author: Lorelei
Date: 3/11/2009 10:25:20 AM

Here''s one shown with a round. I couldn''t find the same one with a Princess, but they might make one. It looks like rounds inlaid, not sure if that would bother you, but they are more sparkly, which isn''t a bad thing.
5.gif

And if you wanted to go with GOG (Lore''s links), that .78 is facing up (how big it looks) the same as the .90, and slightly larger than the HPD diamond. And well within your budget.

Thats a lovely setting Miss - good job!!!!

Agreed, this GOG setting looks better and safer bet with the AGS0 stone GOG has.

surprise

Rough_Rock
I need it delivered on or by next Wednesday (18th).

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
I suggest you contact GOG ASAP, your time table might be a little tight if the setting is custom made.

surprise

Rough_Rock
I sent an email to both Sarah and Joanne...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would call, time is of the essence, and they may not get to your emails til later, or tomorrow. And just to make sure you understand, the smaller GOG stone is almost exactly the same size as the bigger. Don''t go by carat weight, that''s not how they face up/look. Diameter is what you should really look at.
2.gif
But if you are wanting the SI1, just ask if it''s eyeclean, they will be totally honest with you.

And make sure they know this is a rush job!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 1:31:10 PM
I do like that GOG setting, I don't know why I couldn't find it before!

So, the 0.9 diamond recommended looks like it has a few clouds in the middle, should I be worried about that?

Diamond: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3779/

AGS report: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/3779/#script

Thanks Lore!
You are most welcome!

Shouldn't be a problem with the cloud especially in SI1, check with Jon if you are concerned but I think you are fine. Also ditto Ellen in calling GOG, email can get lost or take more time to answer, a phone call means they can get cracking and do let them know your timeline!!

surprise

Rough_Rock
Well, GOG can''t get it to me in time. They offered to put the diamond in a temporary setting, but after getting the price for the permanent setting, I found out it will be out of my price range anyway.

I guess I''m leaning toward the bluenile signature ideal cut again...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 4:03:06 PM
Well, GOG can't get it to me in time. They offered to put the diamond in a temporary setting, but after getting the price for the permanent setting, I found out it will be out of my price range anyway.

I guess I'm leaning toward the bluenile signature ideal cut again...
That is such a shame...You wouldn't consider having it in a simple solitaire setting to begin with, then have it reset into the permanent one at a later date? Just a thought but some do that especially if the chap isn't sure what setting his GF would like, they get the diamond put into a simple gold setting, propose then have the diamond set into its permanent setting later, sometimes the couple pick it out together. That way it would also give you time to save up a bit more for the setting.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear that.

surprise

Rough_Rock
Yes, I would consider it. It''s just that the setting from GOG was not even close to my original price range. I looked through the others and didn''t find anything that matched my girlfriends suggestions or that I liked as much as the BN setting

I appreciate everyone''s help and I''m open to any more suggestions.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmm, why not choose the 0.78c diamond? It is 1k cheaper and face up almost the same as the .9c stone. The 1k should be able to cover the price difference in setting, no?

surprise

Rough_Rock
I wish... The setting was almost 3x the cost of the setting I had picked from bluenile.

What do you think of this one???

GCAL report

I know you can't really tell, but it seems to have high scores on the AGA report and the photomicrograph looks good to me (which I understand doesn't say a lot).

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/11/2009 9:28:47 PM
I wish... The setting was almost 3x the cost of the setting I had picked from bluenile.

What do you think of this one???

GCAL report

I know you can''t really tell, but it seems to have high scores on the AGA report and the photomicrograph looks good to me (which I understand doesn''t say a lot).
The above is right, we can''t tell much regrettably, also the table is a little greater than the depth, usually the reverse is preferred.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results