shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue tourmaline ??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I found the general color of the tourmaline in this J Rake pic to be pretty on my monitor, although I don''t think the pics (angle, etc) are that great of it. I also thought the price, even at liquidation, seemed... high ... to me for a tourmaline (I presume you are paying mostly for the diamonds/setting/designer, but still....) I started trying to look around a little for a loose stone about that color. I have not been able to find any info about tourmalines coming in this general shade, or pics of tourmalines even remotely resembling this color.

http://www.jrakeliquidationsale.com/lauren-k-blue-tourmaline-and-18k-white-gold-cocktail-ri18.html

It has me wondering if this is even really a tourmaline. Does anyone know if this general color is even a possibility in a tourmaline?

Thanks

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
You should try looking up indicolite. You might turn up more results. But I am far from being an expert on Tourmalines, so I really have no idea.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Totally agree with the price!

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 9:04:07 PM
Author: FrekeChild
You should try looking up indicolite. You might turn up more results. But I am far from being an expert on Tourmalines, so I really have no idea.
Thanks for the tip - I just poked around a little and still don''t see quite the same general color, but I do see a couple that are closer than any of the other ''blue'' colors I was coming across. (Certainly closer than what I was coming up with on my own!) I will keep poking around with that name tonight and see if I can find anything. Thanks

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 9:12:07 PM
Author: yingh
Totally agree with the price!
Haha - Yeah - it just seemed so high for a liquidation price (and 12K starting price?!!), so I started wondering if it was rare or something, but I couldn''t find any comparables, so either I am barking up the wrong tree when searching, or it is really rare, or it isn''t really a tourmaline, or.... (insert random reason here!)
I do like the color, though!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Huh? I''ve never seen a tourmaline of that colour.

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 9:40:59 PM
Author: Harriet
Ok, so I am not insane? I thought I was just an idiot not able to come up with logical search terms to find similar pics!!
I had looked on the Lauren K website and could not find anything similiar (or any reference to the company using blue tourmalines.)
I was tempted to contact JRake to question the stone id, but I know others have had difficulty getting a response from them since they are liquidating, and I wasn''t sure how much effort they would really put in to confirming the identity if they even bothered to answer my inquiry.

Any type of stone you would venture a guess on, simply based on color?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a violet tourmaline with a lot of blue in it, and most indicolites have some green. That looks more like a light ceylon sapphire blue color.

I personally don't trust the color. The color of one of the pink tourmaline rings on the website was a hot pink, and when seen in person by a PS'er, it was a more delicate shade of pink.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 9:50:55 PM
Author: :)

Ok, so I am not insane? I thought I was just an idiot not able to come up with logical search terms to find similar pics!!
I had looked on the Lauren K website and could not find anything similiar (or any reference to the company using blue tourmalines.)
I was tempted to contact JRake to question the stone id, but I know others have had difficulty getting a response from them since they are liquidating, and I wasn''t sure how much effort they would really put in to confirming the identity if they even bothered to answer my inquiry.

Maybe we''re both insane?
9.gif
I''m going out on a limb here -- sapphire?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve never seen a blue tourmaline that looks like that. Not a open bright and vivid blue. Either the text is incorrect, the wrong picture was put up or that''s on mighty rare blue tourmaline.
9.gif
Sure looks like a sapphire to me.

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 10:01:10 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
I have a violet tourmaline with a lot of blue in it, and most indicolites have some green. That looks more like a light ceylon sapphire blue color.

I personally don''t trust the color. The color of one of the pink tourmaline rings on the website was a hot pink, and when seen in person by a PS''er, it was a more delicate shade of pink.
Thanks! - I wonder if Storm would be able to tell if he thought the color had been enhanced?

Too bad - it would have been nice to see it in person if I had lived nearby to a physical store to go see it in (and if the seller weren''t liquidating!) - Maybe I liked it because I like sapphires.

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 10:03:56 PM

Date: 2/26/2009 9:50:55 PM
Author: :)

Maybe we''re both insane?
9.gif
I''m going out on a limb here -- sapphire?
HA! Two''s company, right?
31.gif

Ok, I think I must have liked the color because I like sapphires.

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 10:31:55 PM
Author: Chrono
I''ve never seen a blue tourmaline that looks like that. Not a open bright and vivid blue. Either the text is incorrect, the wrong picture was put up or that''s on mighty rare blue tourmaline.
9.gif
Sure looks like a sapphire to me.
HEH HEH - too bad I am not so close I could go look in person. Maybe then I could have gotten a ''rare'' tourmaline! (or if I were lucky, a 6 ct sapphire for a great deal!!)
Hmm, the thought they accidentally switched the pic is a good one too!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a bi-colour blue/green tourmaline that is more blue but not as vivid as the one in your link. Looking at the lighting of the picture it all looks a bit too "white" and everything appears washed out so I wonder if it would look much darker in real life - in which case veering towards indicolite?

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 6:35:54 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
I have a bi-colour blue/green tourmaline that is more blue but not as vivid as the one in your link. Looking at the lighting of the picture it all looks a bit too ''white'' and everything appears washed out so I wonder if it would look much darker in real life - in which case veering towards indicolite?
Hmm. I guess when the next gem show comes to town I should go and see if I can see any loose indicolites in person to see if there are any I like. Would you expect that there would be a lot of indicolites at a gem show, or would they be less often carried by loose gem show dealers? When I was looking around on the net the indicolites were looking a bit more greenish, but maybe it takes some digging.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It could also pass for an aqua, albeit a very photo color enhanced aqua.

This is a ParaibaInternational aqua ring that reminds me of that ring.

aquaringPB.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results