shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Topaz Value

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MaybeAFool

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I rather stupidly bought a gemstone on impulse today whilst on holiday without having any idea of its true value (From a jeweller but no idea if he''s reputable). Its a 5.8 carat oval blue topaz and it cost me $285 USD.

When I look on the internet though this particular type of stone seems to have a nominal value.

I realise that its very difficult without seeing the item in question but can someone give me a general idea if its conceivable that a 5.8 carat Blue Topaz could have a value of nearly $300 or if indeed it is highly unlikely.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies and is able to put my mind at rest.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hate to burst your bubble, but $285 does seem like a lot. By way of comparison, look at the blue topazes listed on: www.multicolour.com, which has a good reputation.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have a return policy? What color blue is it? London, Electric, Swiss, Sky or any other? I have bought two topazes-one was almost 4cts from Gemselect, London blue and cost me $21. The other was a 7.41ct silvery topaz and $115-of course this one had a well known (around here anyway) cutter''s name behind it. Do you have any pictures?

Unfortunately topaz is a very common gem and often goes for less than $5 a carat-of course this depends on many many different variables, so it''s best to know as much about a stone as possible.

Why did you buy the stone? Is it for jewelry or an investment? If it''s for jewelry, I say, don''t worry about it, just enjoy the stone.

I hope this person did not take advantage of you.

If it''s any consolation I happen to love blue topaz and I don''t think it''s nearly as highly regarded as it should be.

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
I am sorry but I have to add to the bad news. I recently acquired a 12.85 carat custom cut sky blue for about $15.

I hope you can return it!

Good luck!

MaybeAFool

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your replies, guys. I had already come to more-or-less the same conclusion myself but was just looking for some confirmation.

Obiously this guy is a crook and its highly unlikely that I can get my money back. I have at least explained the situation to the gentleman who recommended this guy to us, so hopefully it will happen to less people in the future.

On a positive note, I have a new-found interest in precious and semi-precious stones. Now off to find a reputable dealer :)

Thanks again for your replies.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yay! (Well the part about the new interest in gems and stuff!)

Make sure to come back and ask any questions you may have. We certainly have a lovely helpful bunch around here!

RevolutionGems

Shiny_Rock
Very true Freke.

I myself am particularly lovely. No necessarily helpful, but lovely.

needmorediamonds

Rough_Rock
Don''t ever be embarrassed or start bashing yourself for a stone purchase you later discover was overpriced. I think it''s a rite of passage for jewelry lovers! I bought an aquamarine, 5 carats, $285. (sounds too familiar, eh? but this was fifteen years ago, so - it was a lot back then). Took it to a trusted jeweler who kindly defined some terms I''d never heard before, like "windowing", "poor saturation", low color grade, amateurish cut, poor polish. Are you getting the picture?! My face was burning
emembarrassed.gif
and I slunk out of his store, feeling such a fool.
But - I learned a lot!
emteeth.gif

So - better a $300. topaz mistake than a $3000. sapphire mistake. You got off with a very cheap lesson and now you''ll be an educated consumer.
ENJOY your future jewelry hunting!
emthup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results