shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Sri Lanka heated sapphire

Fabri

Rough_Rock
Hello guys, how much do you think should I pay for this stone? Has certificate Natural blu sapphire from Sri Lanka vvs1, only heated 2.73 ct. I don’t know what to call this color, it’s beautiful but might not be royal blu, right ? Stone inside is totally clean don’t even have a small inclusion. I’m wondering what’s the market price retail for this little gem.
Any opinion is much appreciated!

The stone has a bit of dust on top and now I took this pics at night only with a little ugly lamp. Should look better tomorrow during the day I guess..
only the first 2 pics has been taken during the day.

8D9A2DDE-957A-4A77-9E39-C4EA5FAF0616.jpeg 1440E0CF-FF06-4BBC-AE5A-7F2C36204642.jpeg 5570833A-154A-4FA1-95D8-2D89E419D77D.jpeg 000523D6-25C1-40E9-84FB-A99EA7461551.jpeg C6D24F34-A7B5-4005-B2A6-0B9032993370.jpeg 57EC4E12-929D-4FB7-8330-5F8DF312BAFC.jpeg E66BB8C5-C96C-4DD6-8420-3A75DEAB0054.jpeg 8B1F20C6-3A95-42BD-9FEE-28E2C4C26BFD.jpeg 27363F9B-ECF0-4514-9F48-3C5B075C9894.jpeg E30920E5-659B-414D-BC57-EAC12D510C31.jpeg 2E3F09CE-5940-4D5E-B6C5-3A6EEA4AF03C.jpeg 31873C35-6C9A-4A27-A076-90B17127C428.jpeg D1749D4C-68D5-4EE1-9AE1-2C3AB48857CD.jpeg 57BA73C8-23D8-4B8A-97F0-26DC5FE7F4F8.jpeg 57BA73C8-23D8-4B8A-97F0-26DC5FE7F4F8.jpeg 8D9A2DDE-957A-4A77-9E39-C4EA5FAF0616.jpeg

Attachments

• 952B81DE-2B6B-49B8-ABEC-3B31CB61E98F.jpeg
    952B81DE-2B6B-49B8-ABEC-3B31CB61E98F.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What lab is the lab report from? Do you have a photo of it?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't like the fact that they go out of their way to avoid head on videos and photos. Seems it has a fair amount of extinction. Other than that, it has a saturated color when in bright light.

Should be fairly easy for you to look at some of the online vendors (e.g., Gemfix, Pearlmans) to get an idea of retail price for a comparable heated sapphire.

Fabri

Rough_Rock
What lab is the lab report from? Do you have a photo of it?

Hi T L, has two certificates one in house and one is GRS. The in house says vvs1 , which is true (I’ve checked with the lent I can’t see anything inside but looks like “ clear water”) GRS says the same things I mentioned in my previous post . I don’t have the certificate with me but it’s in my office. I’m just curious about the value and what can be a reasonable price to pay for it based on this information/vids/pics ..

Fabri

Rough_Rock
I don't like the fact that they go out of their way to avoid head on videos and photos. Seems it has a fair amount of extinction. Other than that, it has a saturated color when in bright light.

Should be fairly easy for you to look at some of the online vendors (e.g., Gemfix, Pearlmans) to get an idea of retail price for a comparable heated sapphire.
Hi Minous,

I took the videos and pics, the stone is with me but I haven’t paid yet. I can shoot a different vid and post it if you want. But now it’s night so it’ll look pretty much the same as the previous.
I just checked the websites, awesome.. but still it’s a bit hard to understand which one is similar to mine from pictures to compare the price.. what’s your experience tells you?

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...the stone is with me but I haven’t paid yet...

Really now? That's a pretty trusting seller, imo. "Take any of our gems home for a free trial period!"

Not to be a cynic, but is this just an ad...? Or advice for a budding vendor...?

Fabri

Rough_Rock
No ad, the seller is a friend of course haha. We do other businesses together. But I’m not really an expert when it comes to gemstones so here I am asking advices to you :D I’m not try to sell it

Last edited:

Fabri

Rough_Rock
I’ve seen something on Gemfix and found some stones that look similar to mine, it goes in a price range between 3k usd to 4K. Is that something possible ? It’s hard to compare it from pictures especially for a non-expert eye . What you think ? The only thing I know my stone is vvs1

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
In Asia no. Should be cheaper for heated. I don’t usually look at heated but since it’s <3 ct and heated I would expect much cheaper. <1k/ct for sure

Fabri

Rough_Rock
In Asia no. Should be cheaper for heated. I don’t usually look at heated but since it’s <3 ct and heated I would expect much cheaper. <1k/ct for sure

So in Asia around 2k for this 2.73ct ?
What about retail prices in western countries ? Just out of curiosity, for the same stone I mean

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Since you are in Bangkok where you have access to a wide selection of stones and can look up prices online, surely you can conclude yourself. Rather than comparing against western prices, just look up prices locally.

Just as I expect freshwater pearls to be cheaper in China where the source is, same theory for colored stones. If you are willing to disclose the asking price for this stone and get sensible advise on whether it’s worth the price, I think that’s reasonable. But I get the sense that it’s more like fishing for prices so am out of this thread from now. Maybe others can provide more information for you.

Fabri

Rough_Rock
Since you are in Bangkok where you have access to a wide selection of stones and can look up prices online, surely you can conclude yourself. Rather than comparing against western prices, just look up prices locally.

Just as I expect freshwater pearls to be cheaper in China where the source is, same theory for colored stones. If you are willing to disclose the asking price for this stone and get sensible advise on whether it’s worth the price, I think that’s reasonable. But I get the sense that it’s more like fishing for prices so am out of this thread from now. Maybe others can provide more information for you.

Is not fishing for prices but simply I’m about to pay 2.700 usd for this stone and before doing it here I am asking for advices and nothing more. And I’m planning a nice expensive setting which I won’t do with this stone if isn’t worth.
Also whenever I visit jewelry shops or jewelry trade center everything is overpriced when they see me. Thanks and have good day!

Last edited:

Fabri

Rough_Rock
A video of the stone in Natural light

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Is not fishing for prices but simply I’m about to pay 2.700 usd for this stone and before doing it here I am asking for advices and nothing more. And I’m planning a nice expensive setting which I won’t do with this stone if isn’t worth.
Also whenever I visit jewelry shops or jewelry trade center everything is overpriced when they see me. Thanks and have good day!

Ok then giving the price upfront would be easier for everyone. Rather than asking about 3-4k?

Personally I find it impossible to compare stones online since the way each vendor takes pics means even the same stone can look very different when photographed by different vendors. For sapphires the color hue and saturation affects the price so how to compare when I can even tell if the photography is accurate to real life? Not to mention inclusions, etc that may or may not be more visible in real life. Cutting, etc all which plays a part even before the vendor mark up comes into play.

The stone already has a GRS cert so if it’s given a designated color like royal blue then it is. Otherwise it isn’t royal blue. If it’s GRS royal blue then 2.7k sounds ok imo. Again, caveat that I never usually look at heated stones.

It takes effort to find a reliable vendor but go through every store. Keep asking until you find one that isn’t ridiculously priced. Better still, ask for recommendations from other gem lovers in BKK... if I’m commiting to a significant purchase, that’s what I would do or otherwise be prepared to pay significant “learning fees”.

Some of the PS-ers here do go to BKK to shop so they can probably advise better. Most of us go through dozens of stone before we find ‘the one’.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s really lovely but my only concern would be it “blacking out” when set. One it’s in a ring it doesn’t get as much light and it will darken. I would call it “vivid”.

Fabri

Rough_Rock
Ok I bought it and it’ll go on a necklace for myself.. just brought it to the jeweler and I’m not sure if it’ll look good or not.. I’ll see the result after tmrw ! This just a sample, I’ll put a gold frame around the stone too.

622814A5-BFCB-4BEA-9EC2-9D1ADF1220BA.jpeg

Fabri

Rough_Rock
Ok then giving the price upfront would be easier for everyone. Rather than asking about 3-4k?

Personally I find it impossible to compare stones online since the way each vendor takes pics means even the same stone can look very different when photographed by different vendors. For sapphires the color hue and saturation affects the price so how to compare when I can even tell if the photography is accurate to real life? Not to mention inclusions, etc that may or may not be more visible in real life. Cutting, etc all which plays a part even before the vendor mark up comes into play.

The stone already has a GRS cert so if it’s given a designated color like royal blue then it is. Otherwise it isn’t royal blue. If it’s GRS royal blue then 2.7k sounds ok imo. Again, caveat that I never usually look at heated stones.

It takes effort to find a reliable vendor but go through every store. Keep asking until you find one that isn’t ridiculously priced. Better still, ask for recommendations from other gem lovers in BKK... if I’m commiting to a significant purchase, that’s what I would do or otherwise be prepared to pay significant “learning fees”.

Some of the PS-ers here do go to BKK to shop so they can probably advise better. Most of us go through dozens of stone before we find ‘the one’.

I have the GRS certificate for this stone, I don’t remember the color mentioned, I’ll check again next week, but I don’t think it’s royal blu.. but it’s pretty. Thanks for your info, As I said everytime I talk to some seller prices e are often filtered by their selling/profit skills, some really overpriced, so it is always hard to find out what is the real value, for me that I’m just a beauty lover. Btw thanks for your info, I guess it’ll sell around the price you mentioned. I was just curious about Europe even I have no intention to sell it, and i don’t live there since ever. Just pure curiosity. Thanks again !

Fabri

Rough_Rock
I think it’s really lovely but my only concern would be it “blacking out” when set. One it’s in a ring it doesn’t get as much light and it will darken. I would call it “vivid”.

Hey Bron, let’s see on Tuesday, it’ll go on a necklace. Hopefully will keep some nice shine

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Bron, let’s see on Tuesday, it’ll go on a necklace. Hopefully will keep some nice shine

If going into a necklace, I’d go with 4 prongs and an open gallery underneath to let lots of light in! And I’d set it into the necklace, not dangling like a pendant. And I love it East west too.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If going into a necklace, I’d go with 4 prongs and an open gallery underneath to let lots of light in! And I’d set it into the necklace, not dangling like a pendant. And I love it East west too.

Hard for me to picture -- do you have an example photo you can link or upload? Prong-set but not on a pendant/slide? Not the OP but hoping to do something similar with a pretty 4-5 ct rubellite.

Fabri

Rough_Rock
Ohh I should have read your comment before to speak with the jeweler. I gave her instructions for a gold frame already. I call her now and tell to keep the back free in order to have more light, hope I’m still on time. Also i asked not the have it like a pendant but settled right in the middle of the back of the stone, horizontal. I would have loved to have it fixed and not moving but this would have meant to break the necklace, so I opted for the moving solution.

Btw I’m trying to achieve this simply but elegant (I think) result.

48A50C42-DB2B-4F8B-A23A-0FC42EE859DF.jpeg 21E31F9C-87BB-40E7-9075-1135989B3441.jpeg F9F91318-D907-45E7-B505-6D41574303B8.jpeg

Last edited:

Fabri

Rough_Rock
Ok I got the necklace.. it doesn’t really look like fine jewelry at all but more like a pirates talisman haha still don’t know if it’s nice . And I don’t like how they hang the chains on the stone with the two “hangers”.. I’ll have it changed. Now it’s dark and the stone look super dark. Hopefully tomorrow will have some shine

BA767465-D391-4E3E-988B-33F3E6FACAC9.jpeg C7639135-73AB-47DE-9C18-91A0B321B464.jpeg ark. 7CD9EA0B-83A4-4C96-81AB-CC3E0809DDC0.jpeg

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely sapphire but the chain is too way fine for a bloke!
This is the “idea” I mean for a basket setting and I’d choose a wide but “flat” chain. This will also stop the pendant from rolling over.
here are 3 of mine and the style I’m suggesting. 539F1C0F-0FB0-4BEF-8C3A-FCF4F5275816.jpeg BAA918C2-DE45-444E-9D1F-173B37FB976A.jpeg AC3C99E7-495E-41BB-A846-81E17FA4A8FE.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think you should get it set as a slider pendant, no bale.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want it to be less dark take it out of the bezel and set it in a setting with prongs, like the basket Bron suggested.

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I might be the odd woman out here, but I quite like it the way it is.
Theres something to be said about wearing a daintier piece on a frame that isnt and it still looking masculine.

Plus the necklace is essentially quite unisex so if you have (or ever choose to have) children you could pass it on to your son or daughter.

Fabri

Rough_Rock
Sorry ladies, I didn't mind the shirtless pic that much, I didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings.
Btw thanks a lot for the messages, the thiker gold necklace it's really nice but this time I was more oriented for something "delicate" to combine with the stone. I'd personally wear more gold but without stone.
The Garnet Girl said what I also think regarding the frame, it gives a little bit of masculine look or it might be too unbalanced for a man, too girly. But I'll give a try with a small basket setting because to be honest now light can't really comes up! Let's see...
Appriciate all comments tho.. thanks a lot.. I'm thinking about the next humble little creation. I like the feeling i get from it.. kisses

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results