shape
carat
color
clarity

blue spinel

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I did get a chance to take some pictures of the blue spinel this weekend. Let me just say that most of these pictures don''t do the stone justice. It is extremely difficult to photograph. The spinel is dark indoors, but most of the time I can see at least a little blue flash. The camera had a hard time capturing that.

These were all taken in my kitchen last night.

spinelinkitchencollage.jpg

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
This is outdoors in the shade this afternoon. It didn''t look this dead to my eye.

spinelinshademidafternoon.JPG

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
This was taken in the sun this evening. It''s amazing how much different it looked just a few hours later in the day. This is close to what I normally see.

spinelsunevening.JPG

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Some size perspective.

spinelsuneveningonhand.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lavatea,
That's a very typical dark greyish blue spinel. It's very extinct, and you shouldn't have to shine a bright light on it to enjoy it and see flash of color. I would return it.

HTH.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Here it is in the shade. Wish it looked like this all of the time. This is probably the only reason I''m considering keeping it.

spinelshadeeveningonhand.JPG

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
I have a few more, but I think you get the idea. Honest opinions and comments welcome.

TIA!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
When in doubt, raise your standards.

lavatea

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, guys. I think I just needed to hear it again after you guys saw the stone so I didn't send it back and regret it later.

I think my camera's white balance is off or something. Even my hand looks a little gray in that one picture. Lol.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/6/2010 8:59:18 PM
Author: lavatea
Here it is in the shade. Wish it looked like this all of the time. This is probably the only reason I''m considering keeping it.

I''m still not loving the shade picture. Way too dark and too grey.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/6/2010 9:02:55 PM
Author: VapidLapid
When in doubt, raise your standards.

Great advice.

"I wish it looked like this all the time.." I have one of those. Really, I think everyone has one or two of those. But, I''d rather that your grad gift doesn''t wind up as a learning experience. I''d rather that your grad gift is something that you love all the time, in all lighting.

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You should always go with your gut instinct. If you loved this stone, I''d say keep it, regardless of what anyone else''s opinion is. But you seem to have doubts about it yourself and I have to agree with the others, I think it''s too dark. As frustrating as it can be, there is always another stone out there. You just have to be patient and keep looking
2.gif

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
It is soo..grey..sorry to say

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It does appear to have quite a bit of gray in it but you can''t escape that in a dark blue spinel....you''ll always see some.

My dark blue I loved instantly... some angles though are worse than others for it, and the beauty IRL isn''t captured on a camera.

As long as you love it and enjoy it, keep it. If you''re doubting it, then it would be worth it to you to send back.

-A

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results