shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Spinel Advice

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
After my purple "test" spinel came, clearly the spinel bug bit me. But since you're all so wonderful and and much more knowledgeable than I, I'd like to ask your advice on this blue spinel from Dutton. (don't be alarmed if you find it and see it "on hold," that's by me. I've learned lol)

Info:
Shape: Oval
Color: Medium to Dark Blue
Weight: 1.63 ct.
Origin: Vietnam - Luc Yen
Dimensions: 7.07x9.14x3.61mm
Clarity: Eye Clean
Cut: Mixed Brilliant-Step
Treatment: None

Thanks in advance! :))

blue spinel.jpg

blue spinel profile.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would honestly wait to see it in person. I have found that it's very difficult to gauge the true color of a medium to medium dark toned blue/violet spinel from a photo because:

1) Vendors usually photograph them to their best advantage
2) They may appear darker in person
3) They may color shift to a less attractive color

Therefore, I highly recommend waiting to recieve it and then posting your thoughts and photos here, and asking for opinions then.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Sage advice as always TL, thank you very much!!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The color looks nice in the picture, but does it have a window?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, I suspect a window but due to the darker tone of the spinel, it will not be as apparent as in a lighter toned stone. Blue spinels have a lot of personality (colour shifts), so it's a good idea to check it out under various lighting to see if you like it.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Heh I had it shipped to FL since I was supposed to go... I didn't go... it's waiting around in FL... :wacko:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope it can be redirected to you safely in order to still be able to utilize the return period should the spinel not be to your liking.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
I FINALLY got the spinel. It's pretty, but as TL warned, it's darker than I had imagined from the photo.
It's pretty but very very shallow which makes the tilt window ridiculous.
Since its way beyond the 10 days Dutton gives, I'm not quite sure what to do now.

Any particular way to set an oval to close up the tilt window the most?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are caught between a rock and a hard place - an enclosed style setting will close the window but black out the stone while an open setting will allow the blue to show but the tilt window will be more easily seen.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Chrono!
Hmm... I really just want more blue to show. On my finger there's the ever present oval conundrum- half is blue the other half is blacked out/darkened.

In the more lighting situations I look at it in, it's actually a very attractive stone. In incandescent lighting, it actually looks cooler and lighter. In daylight the color looks gorgeous and deep. I'd just like to get the most out of it since I already have it.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I would choose maximizing the color instead of minimizing the window and go for an open setting that allows as much light in as possible.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Can you see if Dutton's might take it back anyway since there was something of an extenuating circumstance on your end?

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Totally agree. No point in reducing the window if all you see is a dark colour. Get the colour as close to the hue that you want with the setting, and i think you'll be glad for it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1311008250|2971476 said:
You are caught between a rock and a hard place - an enclosed style setting will close the window but black out the stone while an open setting will allow the blue to show but the tilt window will be more easily seen.

Chrono, how about open bezel auras that Peter Lees does? Open bezel, there is metal behind a stone (not touching it) and at the same time, light flows through the stone and color spills over the dish... I know there are lots of auras already but when I think of setting "problem" stones, an aura is the first thing that comes to my mind...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Crasru, since I'm a mediocre imaginer, can you post a link to an example? TIA

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An aura setting probably will help play up the colour and hide the window tilt with the flush/reflecting of colour back to the eye. However, this type of setting is not inexpensive.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results