shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue sapphires...I'm in over my head!

SLOness

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone,

I recently decided to propose to my girlfriend and found out that she wants a blue sapphire as a center stone. Since then I've been in over my head, researching like crazy, and quickly got turned onto Pricescope. I've been on here for about a week and have been amazed at how helpful everyone is to each other. I'm brand new to jewelry (much less sapphires) but do know that I'm looking for a 2.5-3.5 carat, medium to medium-dark cornflower blue, cushion brilliant cut. I'd be okay with a heated stone only since a high quality, untreated stone would probably be out of my price range, which is about $5,000 for the stone and $7,500 total (with the setting which I plan on having done at one of the recommended setting vendors). I'm not too concerned about the origin as long as the color is nice and it's brilliant--lab reports are obviously preferred too. Can anyone please help me find a stone? Do you think my budget is realistic?

I essentially went down the list of recommended PS cutters/dealers and found the following. What do you think of them?

http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-blue-1196-cushion-brilliant-cut-2-57cts

I feel like the color could be a bit darker/deeper but I love the way it's cut.

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Products-301-ANAGEE_Sri_Lanka_Gems/7710-Sri_Lanka_Fine_Violetish_Blue_Sapphire_2_86_carat-GemMedia.php

Is this one marked down because of the violet and the extinction? I actually think the violet is limited and could be a good deal. Plus it's unheated.

https://www.mastercutgems.com/Products-301-ANAGEE_Sri_Lanka_Gems/6944-Natural_Sri_Lanka_Blue_Sapphire_2_66_carat-GemMedia.php

This one is a decent size and it's unheated too but I can't tell if the color is more like the picture in the hand or the second picture.

Thanks so much for any feedback!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I honestly prefer the 2 Mastercut ones compared to the Gemfix stone, I think because I am afraid that the Gemfix one will get too dark upon setting.

In case you want some other options, I found these on a Facebook group where lots of reputable sellers post gems (not sure if I'm allowed to name the group here, but search "fine faceted" on FB and you'll find it). My personal favorites of these are 3 and 4, but that's just my thought, so hopefully you like one of them :)

1) This is 5K (so exactly at the top of your budget but it's unheated), and here's the description from the seller:
Stone: Blue sapphire
Weight: 2.64 cts.
Clarity: VVS
Dimensions: 8.25x 5.63x 5.56mm
Design: Barion emerald
Origin: Ceylon, Sri Lanka
Treatment: No Treatment
Cut by: John B.
Notes: This is an incredible untreated royal blue sapphire. The tone is a nice medium blue and the stone's color is vivid. The brilliance of this stone is incredible and turned out very well. A few tiny inclusions that are undetectable by the unaided eye. Includes the original certification showing this stone was not treated. This stone was a recut from an already cut and certified gemstone.

11181879_10205127970427900_1376943483631180867_n.jpg
12196205_10205127972187944_4618681567796618996_n.jpg

2) This is an emerald cut (not sure if that's a deal-breaker), but I really like the color. 2.60ct and $2,970
Description from seller: Emerald cut measures 10.02 x 5.92 x 4.07mm. Well proportioned and fine polish. Traditionally heated from Sri Lanka. Eyeclean+
Certificate can of course be arranged.

12182973_10206448508949553_2533217159221092425_o.jpg

3) I love this stone and have been drooling over it since it was posted. 3.4carats, $3,200. seller description: A great heated sapphire from Ceylon.
Cut in Bangkok, this gem displays a step cut pavilion and mixed crown.
Dimensions: 7.9x7.9x5.4mm
This 3.4 ct. Ceylon Blue is a medium light tone with nice saturation and no windowing. No zoning and I am grading it VS on clarity. The only thing preventing this stone from being flawless is a tiny colorless bubble which was previously filled with liquid and burned off during the traditional heating process. Beautiful Limpid Crystal. Enjoy! Open to reasonable offers.

12108224_10205281850594376_1688185079787035496_n.jpg 12107967_10205281850954385_5373972221840702680_n.jpg

4) A gorgeous one from Jeff Davies (but a bit smaller than you were hoping). Description: 2.08ct blue Sapphire - Ceylon
7.18 x 4.82 mm,
clean, custom cut,
$1975 including shipping
12240443_894485567337425_7481284892992587964_o.jpg 10383552_894485804004068_8417835880344585039_n.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you please post a picture or several pictures of the desired dream blue sapphire colour? All those you are considering show a good amount of gray and/or darkness aka not very well saturated but still pretty nonetheless. Do you care more about colour or you are trying to hit a certain mm size? Secondly, sapphires tend to become darker and grayer under indoor lighting so you don't want to start out with a stone that is too dark.

SLOness

Rough_Rock
lovedogs, sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks for taking a look around and making these suggestions. I think I found that Facebook group but am waiting to be accepted.

The color on #1 is exactly what I am looking for but I am not crazy about the cut (I am leaning towards more of a square cushion cut, like a 1.1-1.2 ratio) and for being at the top end of my budget, it would be nice if it were larger. Great that it is untreated though. Does it being recut be any concern?

Unfortunately, #2 being an emerald cut is a "deal-breaker".

I like the shape of #3 but would prefer a slightly darker color, more of a medium royal blue color like in #1. I am still learning about the types of cuts--does it having a mixed crown mean that they used more than one type of cut for the crown (e.g. combo of brilliant and another style)? I feel like it having a bubble filled with liquid is a turn-off but I am not sure how common that is.

#4 is gorgeous but yes, a bit too small. I really like Jeff Davies' gems and have been checking both his ebay and pinterest pages regularly. I don't see this gem on either--does he have another page or was this one sold? Do you by chance know how often he gets new gems? I have been meaning to reach out to him but haven't had a chance yet.

Thanks again for your help. Please let me know if you come across any more that might be a fit!

SLOness

Rough_Rock
Chrono, thanks for the heads up on their tendency to be darker. Here are a few pictures of the color I am looking for (I found the third picture on another thread and don't remember who posted it--sorry for not giving them credit). I am putting equal weight on both color and mm size. The color doesn't have to be perfect, just close, and since I am still learning about sizes, I am guessing the ideal size would be around 8-9mm in length and 7-8mm in width.

s-l500.jpg

s-l500-2.jpg

6ct-kashmir.jpg

Can I get your opinion on these gems?

http://www.africagems.com/cushion-blue-sapphire-g2k-4897.html

http://www.litnon.com/index.php?page=viewgem&id=10364

Thanks for your help!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Answers to your initial post:

1. Looks like you are looking for top colour, yet want size. It will be difficult to meet all the requirements given your budget.

2. Recuts aren't an issue. It is often done to improve the brilliance and sometimes, colour.

3. I think Sapphire #3 could be a bit darker in person. Coloured stones some in a variety of facet designs so mixed crown is not unexpected. The clarity is not an issue and the seller is honest about the treatment and condition of the sapphire. The liquid is no longer present due to the treatment.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The example pictures all show a medium toned, slightly violetish blue with intense to vivid saturation, aka top colour. Sapphire #3 would be the closest to what you are looking for, based on these pictures.

Litnon
Looks rather grayish but there is very little lighting, so I expect it to look better in person. That said, the bowtie, although very small, is also very prominent.

AfricaGems
Great cutting with very nice colouration. They are a bit pricey but run sales from time to time, which makes it more reasonably priced.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SLOness|1447843431|3951193 said:
lovedogs, sorry for the delay in responding. Thanks for taking a look around and making these suggestions. I think I found that Facebook group but am waiting to be accepted.

The color on #1 is exactly what I am looking for but I am not crazy about the cut (I am leaning towards more of a square cushion cut, like a 1.1-1.2 ratio) and for being at the top end of my budget, it would be nice if it were larger. Great that it is untreated though. Does it being recut be any concern?

I like the shape of #3 but would prefer a slightly darker color, more of a medium royal blue color like in #1. I am still learning about the types of cuts--does it having a mixed crown mean that they used more than one type of cut for the crown (e.g. combo of brilliant and another style)? I feel like it having a bubble filled with liquid is a turn-off but I am not sure how common that is.

#4 is gorgeous but yes, a bit too small. I really like Jeff Davies' gems and have been checking both his ebay and pinterest pages regularly. I don't see this gem on either--does he have another page or was this one sold? Do you by chance know how often he gets new gems? I have been meaning to reach out to him but haven't had a chance yet.

Thanks again for your help. Please let me know if you come across any more that might be a fit!

No problem! I saw that one from Jeff on both the Facebook group and on his Ebay (although on Ebay it's more expensive, likely due to the fees incurred from selling there). He also has a website: http://jefferydavies.com where you can see other things, but I think the most commonly updated place for him is Facebook (he has his own FB page, Jeff Davies jewelry or something similar), and also now has pinterest I think where he puts new stones. The place I found the stone #1 that you liked the color for is GemRite: http://gemrite.com/33-sapphire?id_category=33&n=60.. That's a link to all of their sapphires in case that helps. Let us know how things go!

SLOness

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1447851863|3951219 said:
The example pictures all show a medium toned, slightly violetish blue with intense to vivid saturation, aka top colour. Sapphire #3 would be the closest to what you are looking for, based on these pictures.

Litnon
Looks rather grayish but there is very little lighting, so I expect it to look better in person. That said, the bowtie, although very small, is also very prominent.

AfricaGems
Great cutting with very nice colouration. They are a bit pricey but run sales from time to time, which makes it more reasonably priced.

Thanks, Chrono. When you say sapphire #3 is the closest to what I am looking for, do you mean the third sapphire I posted (the 2.66 carat MasterCut gem) or the third sapphire that lovedogs posted (the 3.4 carat)?

SLOness

Rough_Rock
lovedogs|1447856723|3951252 said:
SLOness|1447843431|3951193 said:

No problem! I saw that one from Jeff on both the Facebook group and on his Ebay (although on Ebay it's more expensive, likely due to the fees incurred from selling there). He also has a website: http://jefferydavies.com where you can see other things, but I think the most commonly updated place for him is Facebook (he has his own FB page, Jeff Davies jewelry or something similar), and also now has pinterest I think where he puts new stones. The place I found the stone #1 that you liked the color for is GemRite: http://gemrite.com/33-sapphire?id_category=33&n=60... That's a link to all of their sapphires in case that helps. Let us know how things go!

Thanks, lovedogs! I still haven't decided yet but hope to within the next couple of weeks.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SLOness|1447923114|3951644 said:
Thanks, Chrono. When you say sapphire #3 is the closest to what I am looking for, do you mean the third sapphire I posted (the 2.66 carat MasterCut gem) or the third sapphire that lovedogs posted (the 3.4 carat)?

The JDavies sapphire.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI this one just came up for sale. It's potentially slightly darker than you want, but the vendor is reputable and the stone is beautiful IMHO. Here's the description:

Montana Sapphire
2.10ct.
6.70mm
Cut in a Portuguese square with step-cut crown. An amazingly vivid pure blue stone with a lighter greenish-blue along the other crystal axis. An exceptional color in an exceptionally rare, large size from any locality, let alone Montana. The tone is medium dark to dark, and clarity is very slightly included. This stone has been heated as nearly all Montana stones are.

*Photos taken with an iPhone 5 in natural daylight. More pictures or video available upon request.

Also, price is 2,510.

And photos:
Sapph1_(450x600).jpg
Sapph3_(450x600).jpg Sapph5_(450x600).jpg Sapph2_(450x600).jpg Sapph4_(450x600).jpg

SLOness

Rough_Rock
lovedogs|1447946768|3951730 said:
FYI this one just came up for sale. It's potentially slightly darker than you want, but the vendor is reputable and the stone is beautiful IMHO. Here's the description:

Montana Sapphire
2.10ct.
6.70mm
Cut in a Portuguese square with step-cut crown. An amazingly vivid pure blue stone with a lighter greenish-blue along the other crystal axis. An exceptional color in an exceptionally rare, large size from any locality, let alone Montana. The tone is medium dark to dark, and clarity is very slightly included. This stone has been heated as nearly all Montana stones are.

*Photos taken with an iPhone 5 in natural daylight. More pictures or video available upon request.

Also, price is 2,510.

And photos:
Sapph1_(450x600).jpg
Sapph3_(450x600).jpg Sapph5_(450x600).jpg Sapph2_(450x600).jpg Sapph4_(450x600).jpg

Thanks again, lovedogs. I saw this one on the FB forum and it definitely is good-looking. The color is darker than I am looking for and I was hoping to find a larger size. I have got auto notifications set up on that page so hopefully one comes up soon. In the meantime, I have a newfound appreciation of demantoids, peridots, and spinels :D

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry I have no idea why I thought your budget was higher

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results