shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Sapphire?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The GIA certificate is really what gives colored diamonds their value, kind like the AGL giving a Kashmir sapphire it's value. I know one dealer that has some nice colored diamonds, and while he thinks they're fancy pink or some other rare fancy color, the GIA will say "no way." That decreases the value of the stone from what he thought it should be. A GIA fancy pink is worth far more than an IGI fancy pink for example. The GIA holds the most credibility for colored diamonds in the world, and if buying a very expensive one, I would insist on a GIA to confirm it's color and natural status.

ETA: sorry for all my typing mistakes above, had a rough day. LOL!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tourmaline_lover said:
The GIA certificate is really what gives colored diamonds their value, kind like the AGL giving a Kashmir sapphire it's value. I know one dealer that has some nice colored diamonds, and while he thinks they're fancy pink or some other rare fancy color, the GIA will say "no way." That decreases the value of the stone from what he thought it should be. A GIA fancy pink is worth far more than an IGI fancy pink for example. The GIA holds the most credibility for colored diamonds in the world, and if buying a very expensive one, I would insist on a GIA to confirm it's color and natural status.

So, are you saying that once GIA finally issues the report stating the green is or natural origin, there is NO lingering doubt in anyone's mind regarding the origin or the green color?

IOW, determining the origin of green is difficult but not impossible.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
tourmaline_lover said:

So, are you saying that once GIA finally issues the report stating the green is or natural origin, there is NO lingering doubt in anyone's mind regarding the origin or the green color?

IOW, determining the origin of green is difficult but not impossible.

I'm not sure, I would hope there wouldn't be, if the GIA knew what they were doing. A certificate is someone's opinion based on testing, and analysis. Has the GIA ever goofed up a diamond certificate? That's a good question. I don't believe any lab is 100% foolproof with the myriad of treatments on the market and the new ones that are popping up so often. Some labs are better than others when it comes to reputation, but I don't think any lab is 100% perfect. They do the best they can with the equipment they have.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow.
So someone will pay $550,000 for something that may be worth only , well what would an irradiated 2.5 ct diamond go for, maybe $10K or less?

I'm surprised that tiny bit of uncertainty does not knock the price of green diamonds down substantially.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny said:
Wow.
So someone will pay $550,000 for something that may be worth only , well what would an irradiated 2.5 ct diamond go for, maybe $10K or less?

I'm surprised that tiny bit of uncertainty does not knock the price of green diamonds down substantially.

The GIA report for a colored diamond is like it's certificate of authenticity. Just like with antiques or other objects of art, whether they are from nature or made by Van Gogh, someone will give their opinion on whether they are authentic or not. Several years ago, an artist was painting portraits with hand made natural paint using the techniques of the Middle Ages, and he figured out how to make the paint look all crackled like old paintings do. For years his forgeries hung in museums as some famous artist (I forget who) as they were authenticated by the experts. Eventually more sophisticated testing proved them to be great forgeries. His techniques were beyond the analysis of the art experts at the time. Although we might think we have a Van Gogh, we weren't there to see him actually paint the picture, so we rely on experts to authenticate it for us. Like gemstones, unless we dug it up ourselves and it was green, how do we really know it's natural color? We must rely on labs, and hopefully the ones that really stay on top of treatment and upgrade their equipment, are the ones who's reputations and opinions we trust.

I struggle with this "trust" issue myself, and for me, I think I would have a very difficult time parting with $500K for a green diamond, regardless of the GIA. I would part with it if I knew for a fact the diamond was a very old discovery, like if some old royal jewel or the Dresden green went up for sale (and if I had that money of course). Many people do trust the GIA, for good reason, but I am the eternal skeptic.

luv*oldmine

Shiny_Rock
Do you mean Han van Meegeren (Dutch), the boldest modern artifice of Old Masters? He became the most original of fakers when, starting in 1936, he put aside mere canny simulations, mostly of the work of Johannes Vermeer to create wildly implausible pictures which were presented as discoveries of a missing phase in the artist’s conveniently spotty, little-documented opus.

*Even though my stone is dated late1800's (Peruzzi-cut) still... In our days, a thorough examination by a reputable expert is very much important to destroy out any doubt. Often I become wary of having to dismount the stone from its setting in fear that it can incur damage in the process. While this is something I hate to do, it is however a necessary step in the process of having a stone examined by a reputable expert.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Would you mind posting a picture? I love old cuts.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv*oldmine said:
Do you mean Han van Meegeren (Dutch), the boldest modern artifice of Old Masters? He became the most original of fakers when, starting in 1936, he put aside mere canny simulations, mostly of the work of Johannes Vermeer to create wildly implausible pictures which were presented as discoveries of a missing phase in the artist’s conveniently spotty, little-documented opus.

*Even though my stone is dated late1800's (Peruzzi-cut) still... In our days, a thorough examination by a reputable expert is very much important to destroy out any doubt. Often I become wary of having to dismount the stone from its setting in fear that it can incur damage in the process. While this is something I hate to do, it is however a necessary step in the process of having a stone examined by a reputable expert.

Yes, I think that was him, but there have been many masterful forgers thought the years. The "Shroud of Turin" is often called the most fabulous fake. It was carbon dated to the Middle Ages so it was made at least 1000 years after Christ. Still many people accept it as real.

luv*oldmine

Shiny_Rock
Harriet said:
Would you mind posting a picture? I love old cuts.

Here's the picture.

luv*oldmine

Shiny_Rock
one more picture

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I adore open culets.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv*oldmine said:
one more picture

Is your stone more of an olive green or a bluish greyish green? Can you provide a shot a little bit further away so we can see the whole stone on your hand. What is the carat weight?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the simple antique setting and open culet; I second TL’s request for a farther away shot in order to see the entire stone and colour better.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
luv*oldmine said:
one more picture

I want to see more pictures too, pretty please! :appl:

luv*oldmine

Shiny_Rock
Chrono said:
Love the simple antique setting and open culet; I second TL’s request for a farther away shot in order to see the entire stone and colour better.

(Bluish-green*8mmX9mm) I'll post more pictures tomorrow.

Barrett

Ideal_Rock
AGL doesn't test but a certain select few rough stones..when they were testing my brazilian paraiba rough whoch is one of the only things they will test in crystal/rough form they mentioned that green diamonds were one of the others that they would test in rough form..since this was a while ago i don't quite remember if they said why or not

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
gorgeous chunky old cut!
what is the stone?

luv*oldmine

Shiny_Rock
much larger pictures

luv*oldmine

Shiny_Rock
(2)

luv*oldmine

Shiny_Rock
(3)

luv*oldmine

Shiny_Rock
(3)

luv*oldmine

Shiny_Rock
(4)

luv*oldmine

Shiny_Rock
(5)

luv*oldmine

Shiny_Rock
(6)

luv*oldmine

Shiny_Rock
bluish-green apple

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty diamond, you should really send it to the GIA for a report so you can get it properly insured and appraised.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it just me that cannot see a single picture? I’ve tried it on 3 different browsers and still can’t see a thing.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono said:
Is it just me that cannot see a single picture? I’ve tried it on 3 different browsers and still can’t see a thing.

I can't see the last pictures either.... btw, congrats on the blue sapphire ring.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results