shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue sapphire with straight line across

Muniappa Pat

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I am new member here. Just came across this 9ct blue sapphire. It looks great but has a white transparent line passing across the stone. What do you think about it ? IMG_2116.jpeg IMG_2299.png

Attachments

• IMG_2115.jpeg
    IMG_2115.jpeg
    123.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2300.png
    IMG_2300.png
    518.2 KB · Views: 15

Muniappa Pat

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I am new member here. Just came across this 9ct blue sapphire. It looks great but has a white transparent line passing across the stone. What do you think about it ? IMG_2116.jpeg IMG_2299.png

Muniappa Pat

Rough_Rock
Will the above stone be valuable to buy?

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
It's difficult to judge from a photo alone, but here are some pointers.

The line you're seeing could be a large feather or an internal fracture. (On the other hand, it's possible that it's just a veil, a concentration of silk. But it doesn't seem so from the photos.) Such inclusions, depending on how big they are, where they're located and where they reach the surface, could pose structural risk for the stone. It's possible that the stone cracks in half when under pressure (for example during the setting process).

You need someone competent to evaluate the stone and tell you if this is the case with this particular sapphire. If the stone is still with the vendor, it depends on how much you can trust said vendor and their expertise.

It might help you to put this in the context of other relevant factors. You've surely been quoted a price for this stone. Is it being sold as untreated or heated (and is it accompanied by the relevant lab report)? This can affect the price significantly. Have you seen it in various lighting conditions? Even in photos it looks a bit grayish, so it's probably not a stunner in real life. It's big, I'll give it that. But if the price is unusually good, there's a reason for it and you need to know what that reason is first, before you're able to decide whether you're okay with making that compromise.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My guess is it's a surface reaching feather. The stone looks quite grey, not ideal color in terms of "trade ideal". That would personally make me hesitant to pay very much for it. What are they asking for it?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a veil to me. Can you see it though? Is it a sharp line (like a crack) or just a fuzzy, dust like line?

If you like the stone I would get more pictures. It should be a vibrant colour, even if it’s more of a pastel shade if that makes sense.

Very hard to determine value as blue sapphires are in abundance and different qualities come in different prices. Don’t believe any chatter about them being rare or hard to source though. They are all over the place!

Welcome!! Our fellow PSers have said just about all there is to say, so I haven't much to add. Good luck!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results