shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Sapphire thoughts for today

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I have looked through the helpful links you have provided and have narrowed things down a little. I basically have two directions I can go in. I am going to show you a picture of a ring I fell in love with at Singlestone awhile back, and I would need a squarish or just slightly rectangular cushion to do this ring. Since it has a halo, I could probably go just under 2 carats, but I am really not sure of the size I'd need. Maybe some of you could advise me on that. I am going to give some links of potential cushions and then attach the picture of the ring. NSC prices are so high that I can't go larger than these there. But cushions are hard to find, apparently. Then I will make another post with my other option.

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Blue/B4259/Cushion/stoneid=B4259

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Blue/B4258/Cushion/stoneid=B4258

http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/Sapphires/Blue/B4260/Cushion/stoneid=B4260

singlestonering.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My other option is to go with a three-stone ring with side diamonds, and the center stone could be oval, round, cushion, etc. I'll attach a picture but there are many different shapes and sizes that would work with this option. The best stones I have found for this are at gemfix, but there are really not enough pictures for me to know if I'd even like the stones.

http://www.gemfix.com/sapphire_blue.html

Top row, left side, cushion 2.40 cts.

Row 8, right hand side, oval, 2.9 cts.

Small oval in the middle of row 8 might work in a halo, but I'd rather have a cushion for a halo.

Honest opinions really appreciated! I want to get the best quality stone I can even if I have to go down in size! (Love the gorgeous color of the sapphire in the ring pic!)

ovalsetting.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and whichever I do not choose, I will probably get another color sapphire or spinel to go in the other setting. I just had to mention, are the hot strawberry pink spinels on this page about the most gorgeous pink stones you've ever seen??? I really want the oval but it would hurt my sapphire budget!!!

http://www.gemfix.com/newest_gems.html

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful E-W oval versions of my first setting (a little too blingy for me, but still a great design):

23rdStEWoval.gif

23rdstEWovalbl.gif

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Will you actually be buying the first setting from Single Stone? What about just having them source the sapphire? I suppose you wouldn't be able to see it in person then, but they seem to be very good with choosing colored stones. I adore that ring!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Selkie, I think I would have Singlestone make the ring unless I found out someone else could make it better! I'd be afraid to have them source a stone. I'd have to see the stone in person...just too picky!!!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Comments on the Gemfix stones.

First one is lovely - however it does look a little sleepy which is a characteristic that I personally like a great deal but isn't to everyones taste (it's due to microscopic inclusions - also termed 'silk')

Second one is on the dark side - I think you will find that IRL it will be a bit like the Duchess of Cambridge's ring - dark blue with very bright flashes of blue.

NSC:

1.56ct cushion - IMHO this stone is not saturated enough for what you are looking for, ditto with the other two. They are going to look washed out in person. If you like the pale blues then they would be possibles but I get the feeling that you are looking for a more saturated true blue.

B3257 has the kind of colour I would have thought you are looking for?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I think the first Gemfix sapphire (top row, left side) is your best choice in terms of color. However, I did find that the first and only stone I bought from them was noticeably darker than the photos indicated, and than Laura indicated to me when I asked. For that reason, I would hesitate to consider the other Gemfix cushion. The silk in the first sapphire doesn't bother me.

All of the NSC stones look very grey to me. If you are looking for a real statement piece of jewelry, I think you'd do better to look for something with better saturation. The Singlestone setting (which I love, love, love) deserves a really spectacular stone, IMO.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pandora|1305238562|2920063 said:
Comments on the Gemfix stones.

First one is lovely - however it does look a little sleepy which is a characteristic that I personally like a great deal but isn't to everyones taste (it's due to microscopic inclusions - also termed 'silk')

Second one is on the dark side - I think you will find that IRL it will be a bit like the Duchess of Cambridge's ring - dark blue with very bright flashes of blue.

NSC:

1.56ct cushion - IMHO this stone is not saturated enough for what you are looking for, ditto with the other two. They are going to look washed out in person. If you like the pale blues then they would be possibles but I get the feeling that you are looking for a more saturated true blue.

B3257 has the kind of colour I would have thought you are looking for?

Thank you so much for taking a look, Pandora! I definitely do not know how these photos translate to real life, so I appreciate the help in that regard! The last thing I want is a dark sapphire (I already had a Princess Diana ring from years ago :nono: )! But I also do not want one that is too washed out! I think this task is pretty impossible to do on the internet, Diamonds are easy in that regard, but the colored gems require some work to find!

Yes, B3257 looks like a gorgeous color! I will just use that stone as a reference from now on! Thank you again!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1305240706|2920082 said:
I think the first Gemfix sapphire (top row, left side) is your best choice in terms of color. However, I did find that the first and only stone I bought from them was noticeably darker than the photos indicated, and than Laura indicated to me when I asked. For that reason, I would hesitate to consider the other Gemfix cushion. The silk in the first sapphire doesn't bother me.

All of the NSC stones look very grey to me. If you are looking for a real statement piece of jewelry, I think you'd do better to look for something with better saturation. The Singlestone setting (which I love, love, love) deserves a really spectacular stone, IMO.

Thank you also for helping me interpret the color in the photos! As I told Pandora, I do not want one that is going to be dark, and the lower one on the right was already dark in the picture. I am glad you love the Singlestone setting, but I am not surprised since a fellow lover of VC probably would! :)) I agree, though, I want a great sapphire for that setting and will just look until I find one!

rainydayam

Rough_Rock
Hi diamondseeker2006, I just ordered four sapphires from gemfix that are slightly lighter then the second one in your link. Mine are a modified Portuguese cut and I emailed gemfix in order to find them (they weren't listed on line). I should get them maybe next week so I'll re-post as to how dark they are in relation to the photo!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainydayam|1305251704|2920259 said:
Hi diamondseeker2006, I just ordered four sapphires from gemfix that are slightly lighter then the second one in your link. Mine are a modified Portuguese cut and I emailed gemfix in order to find them (they weren't listed on line). I should get them maybe next week so I'll re-post as to how dark they are in relation to the photo!

Oh, fabulous!!! I'd love to see them so please post pictures and give us some commentary if you can! Thanks!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the colour of that oval. I wouldn't go by carat weight alone. Another factor is how the stone faces up (assuming acceptable cut, of course.)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Harriet|1305435694|2922161 said:
I love the colour of that oval. I wouldn't go by carat weight alone. Another factor is how the stone faces up (assuming acceptable cut, of course.)

Hi, Harriet! Yes, that oval is gorgeous! I'm sure if I am patient, a great one will turn up! :))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, diamondseeker-

I just wanted to let you know that I have been lurking and reading! I haven't quite figured out all the nuances of your plans, but every option mentioned (and I have followed every link) looks wonderful! This is a little off track, but I had no idea that there were such gorgeous "cool" and "warm" pink spinels out there! That's all I needed to have planted in my head!

I wish you great luck with your search. Although it may seem strange, since I just bought an oval colored stone myself, I really hope you find a great cushion. I think the cushion cuts are simply magnificent. You just need the right stone with fabulous hue and saturation...and, as you said, it will come along!

Major hugs,
Deb/AGBF

Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Deb! I like both cushions and ovals in colored stones, so if I find a cushion sapphire, I will probably try to find an oval spinel in violet or hot pink. I can't afford the gorgeous red, but there are many beautiful other colors, too!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You may already be aware of these-- have you taken a look at finewatergems ? He has some pretty blues. I love the 3.71 carat one.

Best of luck with your search!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Babynurse, yes that is a pretty stone! I'm still looking around to be sure I go with the best option! Thanks!

rainydayam

Rough_Rock
Hi again diamondseeker2006! I've just received my sapphires from Gemfix and they are beautiful! i can only upload the picture that they gave me because I haven't taken any yet, but they are very similar to this photo. I've not seen them in daylight yet, but with inside lighting they sparkle and are a slightly lighter blue then in the photo. I know that gemfix had a 7.5mm stone that matched the set that I got, but i'll suffice with the 6.1mm, 5.1mm (x2) and 4mm. They were very easy to deal with and the vendor pictures are mostly accurate (though the picture looked a bit more saturated).

Gemfix sapphires.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh, those are beautiful, rainy! :love: I wouldn't mind having a 7.5mm. What are you planning to do with yours?

rainydayam

Rough_Rock
Diamondseeker, I plan to set the 4mm into a ring (some design that will have the stone close to the band, but i'm having trouble finding one I like), the 5.1mm as lever-back earrings, and the 6.1mm into a pendant. This is my first loose stone purchase so i'm VERY excited! If your interested in the 7.5mm I know that Laura at gemfix will send you pictures. They are a modified Portuguese cut and are VERY well cut!

Indylady

Ideal_Rock

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
rainydayam|1305664366|2924193 said:
Diamondseeker, I plan to set the 4mm into a ring (some design that will have the stone close to the band, but i'm having trouble finding one I like), the 5.1mm as lever-back earrings, and the 6.1mm into a pendant. This is my first loose stone purchase so i'm VERY excited! If your interested in the 7.5mm I know that Laura at gemfix will send you pictures. They are a modified Portuguese cut and are VERY well cut!

Oh, pictures would be nice! I am going out of town tomorrow, but I'll try to ask her to send them as soon as I can. I do like good cut as well as color. Thanks!

Your projects sound wonderful!!!! :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IndyLady|1305827620|2925792 said:
http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

I love the 3.5 carat Ceylon sapphire and thought of you as soon as I saw it. What do you think?

I think it is a really pretty color, but the oval is somewhat elongated. I even like the lighter blue one, but that one looks like it needs a recut. It is just hard to find one that meets all the desired requirments! Thanks for keeping me in mind!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results