shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue sapphire question

pristine

Rough_Rock
Trade
AGL can test for diffusion (heat, as far as I know, can be determined with standard gemologist equipment). I’ve sent a sapphire there and they had to utilize an LA-ICP-MS to test it. I would imagine SSEF has complete ability to test for diffusion as well. These four labs are the most highly regarded labs in the world (SSEF, AGL, AGL and GRS).

The gemologist whom is has recently retired, and a trained and certified GIA gemologist of several decades said that he was not aware of any labs other than the main GIA or main GRS labs having the multi-million dollar equipment to test for heat treatment (but I will check with the AGL to confirm so I know where to send customers, although, again, we just assume heat treatment). Gemologists can see evidence of heat vs non heat treatment, but they cannot make that determination unequivocally. Hence we wrote this blog: https://pristinegemstonejewelry.com...reated-sapphires-by-pristine-gemstone-jewelry

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGL has access to the LA-ICP-MS, but I don’t think they own it. Thank you for the blog. Chris Smith of AGL was able to determine heat treatment on two of my sapphires, but he had to use the Mass Spectrometer on one of them to rule out diffusion. He could rule out diffusion in the other sapphire with standard equipment.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
@T L
Does the color of this one remind you of your blue pear? How would you call it in terms of tone/saturation?
I wonder when away from the ideal lighting, would it be kind of gray? Could you kind of guess? TIA

C4893EA8-D355-4945-891D-EA6582AA107B.jpg

Last edited:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@T L
Does the color of this one remind you of your blue pear? How would you call it in terms of tone/saturation?
I wonder when away from the ideal lighting, would it be kind of gray? Could you kind of guess? TIA

C4893EA8-D355-4945-891D-EA6582AA107B.jpg
I think my sapphire is darker in tone, but similar saturation. I would call it medium
light tone and slightly grayish blue saturation. The window ruins what is otherwise a pretty stone here.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Is this more ideal for a saturated medium? Looks almost unreal. Less gray? The cut looks nice.

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Wouldn't you think the blue would go darker without studio lights, but maybe still very pleasant?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wouldn't you think the blue would go darker without studio lights, but maybe still very pleasant?

It’s not an overly dark stone, so even if it got darker in some lighting, it would still be lively.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results