shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue sapphire origin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Boom

Shiny_Rock
I''ve just started looking at blue sapphires and found a gorgeous one on Richard Wise''s site. The inventory no. is 6163. Under comments on the Gem Grade Report, he says "Exceptional, top Burma color at a Ceylon price". I know that after Kashmir, sapphires from Burma are the the most expensive, but on average, how much is the premium?

If two stones look very similar, why should a stone from Burma cost more than one from Ceylon?

bar01

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/15/2006 12:30:34 PM
Author:Boom
I know that after Kashmir, sapphires from Burma are the the most expensive, but on average, how much is the premium?

If two stones look very similar, why should a stone from Burma cost more than one from Ceylon?

I assume for the basis for comparison - both have nearly identical quality (hue/tone/zoning/clarity) and both are untreated.

1) My guess is Burma (certified origin) will carry around 1.5 times premium - but that’s just a guess based on a few stones I have seen that actually have a cert on Burma origin.

2) I guess there are less good stones available from Burma then elsewhere - so it is a supply/demand thing. People are willing to pay for what they sometimes can't see - the romance, a feeling, a thought about their gem that means something to them. I understand that myself.

Historically the best of Burma stones are said to have “a glow” to them – were as the best of Sri Lanka seem to have a crisp blue “snap” to them.

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/15/2006 1:50:44 PM
Author: Bertrand
People are willing to pay for what they sometimes can''t see - the romance, a feeling, a thought about their gem that means something to them. I understand that myself.
So how is that factor to be accounted for in the colored gem grading system you''re on record as favoring? I''m not trying to be difficult -- just pointing out one of the many obstacles to such an undertaking. Maybe abolishing price premiums based on origin would be a first step but I doubt sellers of Burma ruby and sapphire, true Paraiba tourmaline or Kashmir sapphire would agree.

Richard M.

colorchange

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Kashmir and Burma premium are justifed for "typical" gems that have a special look.
But they are just not for those that are similar to other stones found elswhere.

How can you compare a highly fluorescent Mogok ruby to a dull Madagascar one of exact same color and clarity ? But there is no reason a dull Mogok be rated better than the equivalent Madagascar one.
You can't compare either a top notch glowing Kashmir cabochon with anything produced in Ceylon (at least anything I have seen).
But Kashmir produces bad stones just like every locality...

You just can't rate a sapphire or ruby accurately to me, because there are so many optimums... The best Thaï sapphires are just wonderfull but so different to top Kashmir sapphires you may not compare them at all.
Or you have to create several scales ; in sapphire for instance :
-> "Kashmir facet type" sapphire. (glowing medium blue to medium medium dark)
-> "Kashmir cabochon type" sapphire. (very glowing medium blue)
-> "Ceylon type" sapphire. (pure medium to medium dark blue)
-> "Burma type" sapphire. (glowing soft medium dark blue)
-> "Thaï type" sapphire. (very pure medium dark very slightly violetish blue)
-> "Tanzania type" sapphire. ("Bleu outremer" Very pure.). A bit similar to Thaï type.
-> There are more
11.gif

Then market will settle easily price on different quality of each type...

One sapphire would be rated on one or another scale not depending of it's origin (evenif there would be a slight premium if gemmological origin matches type). The only problem left will be with Montana sapphires
9.gif
"du Puy"
9.gif
9.gif
sapphires etc .

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If Richard is offering the stone, you can bet it''s a nice one. He only deals in the best of the best. From what I have seen his prices look very reasonable for what you are getting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results