shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Sapphire Earrings are turned into Winners by Subtraction, thanks to DKJ

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Back in 2019 we bought a set of 3.60ctw blue sapphire earrings at an auction, including seeing them in person at a preview. They looked great in the catalog and in person.

3.60ctw Blue Sapphire Earrings Vendor Photo.jpg

For reasons we don't remember they looked so special DW didn't try them on. It was months later that DW tried them on and discovered the jeweler who made them actually worked for Hobbits. :lol-2: See how much the sapphires angled to the ground catching no light at all.

3.60ctw Original Blue Sapphire Earrings.jpg

This is a side view of the original setting, the entire lower half is designed to curve underneath your Hobbit ears. =)2

3.60ctw Original Blue Sapphire Earrings Side View.jpg

It took us a couple of years to decide to do something about this, and about a month ago we approached Amy at DKJ to help solve our problem. We first asked if Amy could have the sides straightened out by force; well it turned there was not enough force on this earth to do that. :eek-2: Amy suggested our best bet was to remove all the "too much stuff" at both ends, and revert to simple but sophisticated blue sapphires with the diamond halos. Here's the video Amy took with her phone of the sapphire earrings DKJ turned into something beautiful by "simple subtraction'.

Here are a couple of photos with the sapphires set first E-W and then N-S. I think prefers DW prefers set E-W.

3.60ctw Blue Sapphire Earrings Set E-W 2.jpg

3.60ctw Blue Sapphire Earrings Set N-S 1.jpg

Very kindly Amy's setter also changed the sapphire prongs from yellow to white gold to keep everything consistent. We think DKJ did an absolutely fabulous "fix" job. :love:

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Lovely! Classic, beautiful new look.

Reactions: prs

RMOO

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! Will never go out of style. Did you do anything with the left over diamonds?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations - they're beautiful and, as @CHRISTY-DANIELLE said, will never go out of style.

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
These really are a classic! And beautiful!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Fantastic fix! So much more wearable and they will stand the test of time. Classic!

Thank you, I don't know why it took us so long to think of doing this. You are absolutely right it looks better now than ever before did before the "fix". :love:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely! Classic, beautiful new look.

Thank you so much. You are right, it's just amazing how the old classics can become beautiful new looks for classy ladies of any age
Beautiful! Will never go out of style. Did you do anything with the left over diamonds?
Thank you so much for your comment. Amy gave us a plastic bag of all those excess diamonds last week. To be honest DW feels like a weight was lifted from around her ears when they disappeared, and she is much lighter on her feet. :lol-2:

Absolutely beautiful!

Thank you!

These really are a classic! And beautiful!
Thank you, we agree and are learning that classic is most often best!!!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations - they're beautiful and, as @CHRISTY-DANIELLE said, will never go out of style.

Thank you so much @mrs-b I agree completely. As DW and I get older, the classic styles keep appealing to us more and more. I know you too have had great luck with Amy and David. My wife and I both enjoy we keep learning more advanced jewelry techniques from them. It seems to me they just keep getting better and better.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Truly beautiful! The makeover was a stunning success!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are my dream earrings!
Really stunning!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Firstly, the Hobbit reference made me spit out my morning tea :lol-2: :lol-2:

Secondly, these look WAY better without the fuss. It was completely drowning the stones & now that they're lifted on the ear, you can really see that beautiful colour. Absolutely classic & fit for a Royal collection. Good job!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much better in the new setting! :kiss2:

I would love to see what you'll do with the excess chips! :lol-2:

DK =)2

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this beautiful blue happy ending :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Back in 2019 we bought a set of 3.60ctw blue sapphire earrings at an auction, including seeing them in person at a preview. They looked great in the catalog and in person.

For reasons we don't remember they looked so special DW didn't try them on. It was months later that DW tried them on and discovered the jeweler who made them actually worked for Hobbits. :lol-2: See how much the sapphires angled to the ground catching no light at all.

This is a side view of the original setting, the entire lower half is designed to curve underneath your Hobbit ears. =)2

It took us a couple of years to decide to do something about this, and about a month ago we approached Amy at DKJ to help solve our problem. We first asked if Amy could have the sides straightened out by force; well it turned there was not enough force on this earth to do that. :eek-2: Amy suggested our best bet was to remove all the "too much stuff" at both ends, and revert to simple but sophisticated blue sapphires with the diamond halos. Here's the video Amy took with her phone of the sapphire earrings DKJ turned into something beautiful by "simple subtraction'.

Here are a couple of photos with the sapphires set first E-W and then N-S. I think prefers DW prefers set E-W.

Very kindly Amy's setter also changed the sapphire prongs from yellow to white gold to keep everything consistent. We think DKJ did an absolutely fabulous "fix" job. :love:

They look amazing. Congratulations! Whatcha doing with the left over melee? Looks like you have enough for some cool options - eternity band, scatter pendant, small dangling earrings…

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a gorgeous remake! They are perfect now.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Truly beautiful! The makeover was a stunning success!

Thank you, the makeover truly exceeded our expectations!

These are my dream earrings!
Really stunning!

Yes, my DW loves them now just like you.

She just didn't know for the first two years they were her dream earrings in Hobbit disguise! :lol-2:

Firstly, the Hobbit reference made me spit out my morning tea :lol-2: :lol-2:

Secondly, these look WAY better without the fuss. It was completely drowning the stones & now that they're lifted on the ear, you can really see that beautiful colour. Absolutely classic & fit for a Royal collection. Good job!

The Hobbit reference is a bit out, it's actually only the top of their ears that are very long. However they are the cutest creatures so I'm sticking with them. ;)2

Looking back, I think we got those earrings for a good price because every other buyer figured out they were not designed to fit normal humans! :eek-2: We hadn't learned enough back then to look into some of those really important details. :mrgreen2:

Much better in the new setting! :kiss2:

I would love to see what you'll do with the excess chips! :lol-2:

DK =)2

I have to wait for DW to decide what to do with them. I'm hoping I might get to use them in Vegas! :lol-2:

I love this beautiful blue happy ending :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2: :kiss2:

"A beautiful blue happy ending', a lovely thought, thank you so much! :love:

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They look amazing. Congratulations! Whatcha doing with the left over melee? Looks like you have enough for some cool options - eternity band, scatter pendant, small dangling earrings…

Thank you so much for your compliment.

It's my job to be my wife's jewelry enabler! I'll take your suggestions under consideration, but she's going to be fully basking in blue sapphire earrings sunshine for at least a couple of weeks! =)2

:love:
Simple and sleek stackers!
Or one wider sleek band.
777E2956-3CBE-4E70-9805-B1AEFD94EF48.jpeg
62BDA6F3-8688-402C-98C4-944D36C8429F.png

@Rfisher you are one of PS's premier jewelry designer. DW will love these rings!

What a gorgeous remake! They are perfect now.

Thank you so much, it can't get much better than perfect!!!

Here is a photo of the new setting and how feminine it is compared to the huge Hobbit setting! The base is really 18K white but sunlight reflection is making it look a little yellow!

3.60ctw Blue Sapphire Earrings Setting.jpg

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! It almost looked like the previous owner fused a jacket on to a halo earring. Anyway, they look amazing!

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They look sensational!! Gorgeous and classic.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Beautiful! I love how DKJ will work with what you have to make them how you want them to be!!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are so chique and sophisticated now!!! Great choice. Much much better than the original earrings. The sapphires look great.

Garnetgirl

Ideal_Rock
What a great improvement. The earrings are beautiful now. So glad that your wife will finally get to enjoy them.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@whitewave @Dandi @cushioncutnut @Acinom @Garnetgirl Thank you all so much for your very kind comments. :love:

Princess Diana has always been our favorite British Royal, and I just realized DKJ gave us a wonderful, miniature Princess Diana memory for each of DW's ears. That's about as good as it gets! :love: :love: :love:

Last edited:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a great conversion! They look beautiful on your wife!

Shazam22

Rough_Rock

Exquisite!

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Such a great conversion! They look beautiful on your wife!

Exquisite!

Thank you both for your compliments! :love:

At first, we were reluctant to shed all that "Hobbit" extravagance! We had no idea how beautiful the fix was going to look!

It's a 2.5 hour drive each way for us to go see DKJ but we've learned a personal visit is always pleasant and worth it. Sometimes you have to know your jeweler is a master, and when Amy told us her fix would look great, we knew we could trust her.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
What a Cinderella story! Love the new look! Also, I agree the East-West styling is the clear winner.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results