shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Quartz

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
So I bought this stone on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180606493391&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Didn't receive it due to USPS confusion for over 2 months. Pretty much forgot about it until my neighbor signed for it and gave it to me.
WOW! The cut is a bit off, but for a 3.37ct stone with minimal tilt window, I think its a win.

Their color was off, but I don't hold that against them since the real color is 100x nicer to my eyes. When trying to photograph it, I got the same color as they did, so I don't blame them for a camera's inability to capture proper tones.

It's a large stone and for a trillion it's a little wonky. I'm not sure if it could qualify for a recut, but since it's not a valuable stone and it's really just the color that's phenomenal, it might be okay. Not sure what it would cut/turn into though hah.

Onto the pictures!

IMG_2956.JPG

IMG_2976.JPG

IMG_2963.JPG

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So pretty! I love that color. I didn't even know that quartz came in blue. I've been wanting a blue stone to put into my original ering setting. I think I'm going back to ebay to take a look for myself, so thanks! Do you have plans for this stone?

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you KaeKae! No plans as of yet, I just wish they had this material cut in a smaller size! That's why I was thinking of recutting it, to make it an appropriate size for a ring. The color is to die for, but at an over 3ct mark, it's too big (for me) for anything other than a pendant. I've found this material on ebay incredibly cheap but at ridiculous sizes, from 12 to 36ct. That's a boulder, not a gemstone :lol:

Good luck on your search!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I believe these blue quartz are lab created stones. One can buy hydorthermal quartz in about any color desired. Ironically, Brazil is the largest imported of lab created quartz, and the material is most often sold as natural stones. Typically what you see in your mall jewelry stores, Walmart etc for amethyst and citrine, and other other color of quartz is lab created. Ever notice how in the display case the color is so consistent?

Here's a company that makes this material: http://www.morioncompany.com/HydrothermalQuartz.htm

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
PrecisionGem said:
I believe these blue quartz are lab created stones. One can buy hydorthermal quartz in about any color desired. Ironically, Brazil is the largest imported of lab created quartz, and the material is most often sold as natural stones. Typically what you see in your mall jewelry stores, Walmart etc for amethyst and citrine, and other other color of quartz is lab created. Ever notice how in the display case the color is so consistent?

Here's a company that makes this material: http://www.morioncompany.com/HydrothermalQuartz.htm

Eeek! Definitely not my intention to post lab created gems on PS! :(( Definitely disappointing. There is however, natural blue quartz crystals, but I guess not faceted gems such as my own.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unfortunately the colour screams "man made" :(sad However, there is something called "blueberry quartz" that's being hawked in the jewellery shopping channels at the moment. They say that it's a natural mined quartz and it looks a sort of pale grey/blue/violet. Definitely not as eye popping as the one you've got and (to my eye) not as attractive either!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amethystguy once mentioned that 90% of amethysts sold on eBay were hydrothermal. I guess, in most cases we never know what we buy unless we want to invest in a cert and some of these cert are not reliable, either. A recut usually costs, and a good jeweler can make a nice setting for an asymmetric stone.
It looks very nice.i

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
The 'blueberry' quartz is only natural in the sense that the actual rock part came out of the ground - not the colour. It's basically amethyst which is then heated to turn it green and then gamma irradiated. Generally this just improves the green colour but with some Brazilian material it turns it blue when it is heated for a second time.

To be perfectly honest, there is no point in paying for a lab report to ascertain if a quartz is natural or synthetic - the testing will cost more than the stone. It's only really worth it if you are a dealer and buying in serious quantities and want to check your investment before resale.

Anything that is unusually bright or vivid - especially blue and greens - should be presumed to be hydrothermal synthetic until proven otherwise.

It's a very pretty colour though - rather like Hauyne...

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
LD, aw, here I was so excited to have a natural stone which seemed almost kashmir-like but without the price tag. :(sad

Crasru, I guess a cert really wouldn't be worth it. And unless a recut could change the shape, it's probably not worth it either.
(Btw, I love your avatar with the Матрёшка :)) )

Pandora, you're right. Still always a shame to be duped by ebay. You're right about it looking like Hauyne though, at least the material is a little tougher. Definitely a fun stone as pertains to color though, it's exactly what I've been searching for-- always thought I'd want a lighter blue, but this blue is rocking! :sun:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think you only paid $8 for it right? So it certainly wasn't a bad buy no matter what it is, as it's a very pretty color, and I rather like the cut.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results