shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Oval Zircon Earring Help

malbulov

Rough_Rock
Hello,
I am a longtime lurker and owe a lot of thanks to this site for educating me on selecting a diamond for my wife's wedding ring. My true love is gemstones and I love color (her ring has .25 sapphire side-stones). I purchased a 3.7 tcw pair of zircons from Bradley( the gem trader) from the same rough for our anniversary. I would like to make my wife a pair of earrings and am hoping you guys can provide ideas for a 200 to 300 budget. Thanks for your time. I will try to get some pics up of the pair I actually ordered when they arrive.

dec13bzircpairii_0.gif

Regards,
Mark Albulov

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Very nice zircons! Welcome out of lurker-hood. :D Wish you could talk to my husband about loving colored stones!

What style does she like? Plain or ornamented? Drop or stud? White, yellow, rose gold or other metals? My first impulse is rose or yellow gold with those to bring out their lovely blue.

You might take a look at Stuller settings for ideas, and to stay within your budget. If you have a jeweler whom you trust to work with zircons, he or she can order these & set the stones for you, or at least you can get inspiration as to what to look for elsewhere. http://www.stuller.com/browse/mountings/earrings/for-gemstones/oval

Can give you more help with a little more info. Lucky wife to have you!

malbulov

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your response Jewel,
Do you think white gold would look ok with these colors? She prefers white gold over all other metals. Due to the budget I am gonna have to stay simple I think, I just worry oval studs would look odd as I have never seen them in person myself to make a judgement. Does Stullers have prices?

Regards,
Mark A

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Gorgeous stones - your wife is very lucky!

Personally (and this is just my taste), I think these would be a bit large for studs but they would make gorgeous dangles. The movement would also help them catch the light and sparkle more.

I see no problem with setting the in white metal - they will have a cool, wintery look.

malbulov

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the compliment Lady! Here are the measurements of the stones per Bradley at 6x7.6mm, here is the picture he sent me of my pair. Almost identical to the previous pair he sold. I wonder if drop earrings will be affordable in white gold?
bzircon3.gif

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
im going to say that i would LOVE them as studs. Yellow gold 6 prong or something?

But again personal, either would be lovely. Big ol' color studs are pretty and seem more everyday than dangles.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
For me that's not too big for studs, but it depends on her taste -- some like small ones, some larger. White gold would be fine if that's what she likes. You could even do silver to make it less expensive. Stuller doesn't show prices because they sell only through jewelers, so your jeweler would have to order them (either B&M or an online jeweler -- maybe the person who did her ring?). A jeweler often has a Stuller catalog with retail prices -- & possibly you can bargain lower.

Whatever you use, they'll be very pretty earrings!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know your wife's preferences, Mark, but I frequently wear dangles because otherwise people wouldn't see my earrings :))

Here are 2 styles that I'd consider every day wear & which wouldn't be expensive to replicate. If you choose something like the 2nd example -- French wire/shepherd's hook style whereby you can easily remove the zircon dangles -- you could gift her on another occasion with a set of, e.g., diamond-accented hooks for a fancier look.

oval_dangles_1.jpg

oval_dangles_2.jpg

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, etsy vendor Daniel M has a pair of bezelled oval earrings that might work for you style-wise - the pair on his website are in 14kt yellow gold and priced outside your budget, but he also works with Sterling Silver and with Argentium Silver (stronger and more tarnish-free than Sterling Silver) which should be well within your budget... http://www.etsy.com/listing/89984731/citrine-milgrain-bezel-earrings?ref=shop_home_active. Daniel could also attach the bezelled gemstone to the earring wire with a jump ring if you want some movement with the drop earrings, and of course the milgraining is optional.

Your Zircon pair should fit in most 8x6mm prong settings, and I've linked one earring mounting that might work for you. You also have the option of having your local jeweler (or Daniel M) order from Stuller a pair of earring wires and oval mounts in Sterling Silver or Stuller's Continuum Silver (their version of a stronger, more tarnish-free Sterling) - here are a couple of options:

STULLER Dangle Mounting (w diamond melee): http://www.stuller.com/products/83041/1192743/?groupId=42041

EARRING WIRES:
french hook - http://www.stuller.com/products/225...ionType=recommendation&recommendationId=80666

french hook - http://www.stuller.com/products/225...ionType=recommendation&recommendationId=80666

bishop hook (w/ diamond melee) - http://www.stuller.com/products/84367/2528365/?groupId=89884

leverback - http://www.stuller.com/products/28711/?groupId=116020

OVAL MOUNTS:
http://www.stuller.com/products/81175/?groupId=39732
http://www.stuller.com/products/8651/11182/?groupId=43304

Hope this isn't an overload of info for you!

koolchicken

Shiny_Rock
Malbulov, I don't know if this will help you or not, but here's a photo.

img_5093.jpg

These are blue topaz (I think) set in yellow gold posts, they measure 9mmx7mm. I don't know how these compare to your stones but I thought they might give you an idea of what they could look like as studs. I personally don't find them to be too big, and they look good on the ear as well. I don't have especially large ears and my head it kind of small for my size, I'm 5'10" and my head is smaller than my 5'4" mother. So I wouldn't worry about them fitting unless your wife has very, very small ears.

I don't really wear these much as one of them is scratched (my fault) and they're a little windowed. They were hand me downs from an aunt though so I keep them. I did use to wear them more years ago and I was happy enough with them. If you set your stones as studs I think you'll be plenty happy with them (and so will your wife). But dangles are lovely too, I'm a fan of lever backs. Safe, simple, and elegant.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
8 x 6 mm aren't too large for studs and those will look fine in white gold. Depending on the size of your wife's earlobes, they might look huge or just right. Another consideration is the spinning of non-round/symmetrical studs. I am OCD about such things so I do not wear any other shapes except round studs because I dislike seeing them twisted sideways or not facing the same direction at the same time. A short dangle style earring avoids this altogether.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1388409400|3582965 said:
8 x 6 mm aren't too large for studs and those will look fine in white gold. Depending on the size of your wife's earlobes, they might look huge or just right. Another consideration is the spinning of non-round/symmetrical studs. I am OCD about such things so I do not wear any other shapes except round studs because I dislike seeing them twisted sideways or not facing the same direction at the same time. A short dangle style earring avoids this altogether.

Good thought - could not agree more as it would drive me nuts as well.

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1388409400|3582965 said:

I third this thought. I think a simple dangle or drop would be very elegant especially with the oval shape. Those zircons are such a lovely color!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to say I couldn't care less if the studs were spinning and different orientations.

Personal preference of course. But I didn't want you to think everyone hated that, if you went that route.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Also, placing the post nearer the top of the oval instead of centered will help keep it in the proper position.

malbulov

Rough_Rock
WOW!!!! Thank you all so much for your thoughtful and insightful replies. I really appreciate all of you taking the time to provide your knowledge and experience. I decided to go with studs, ordered from Stullers by a local here (Lewis Jeweler's Ann Arbor MI). I went with 8x6 14k white gold studs with a bit of design on the sides. I will post pictures when they are finished. I am paid 250 for both, I know that is high retail but hopefully not an outright ripoff. Thanks for all your help again, the pictures gave me a nice reference point to. I chose studs as I think they will be more versatile. I hope she wears them daily! Also, my wife only wear studs in the 7 years we have been together! I may change that someday!

warm regards,
Mark Albulov

malbulov

Rough_Rock
Hello All,
Here are some poor pictures I took, natural light on a gray Michigan winter day. The stones look much better in person, tons of fire and brilliance. The color is bright and intense seeming, no paleness or transparency. Just wanted to show you guys some photos of the finished product. Thanks again for all your help, posting pictures and links and taking the time to provide insight and feedback. I feel Bradley from the gem trader really over delivered, the stones are magnificent and the photos can not come close to doing them justice.

photo_3_44.jpg photo_2_1__1.jpg photo_1_51.jpg

Warm Regards,
Mark Albulov

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
They came out so nicely, Mark. From your earlier photos I can imagine what great earrings they are. She must be loving them!

--- Laurie

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the utmost respect for folks like you who learn fast and deliver the eye candy quickly. I hope she loves them, as they look like they would sparkly and a gorgeous blue.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
They look bright and sparkly and I'm sure your wife will be/is thrilled with them :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results