color
clarity

Blue Nuance Lab Diamond

xxtrem3

Rough_Rock
Hello guys,

I'm new to this forum! Recently saw a reasonably priced lab diamond
0.73 G VS1
It looks super clean, however there's this blue nuance comment under the IGI cert.
Is blue nuance good or bad? I have no clue please do advice thank you!

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. There is speculation that the blue tone can help it look more white. I don’t think anyone on this board besides trade have seen one in person. If you are serious it’s worth taking a look in person since JA has a return policy.

Last edited:

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the MMD trade vendors on here specifically excludes it from their listings because they don't like it and state that their customers don't like it (IIRC).

I think it's quite cool - who wouldn't want a blue diamond? :D lol

If you like a blue nuance stone and don't really care what others think, and aren't intending on selling it later on, why not get what you like? :)

xxtrem3

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the comments guys!
I've did a research and it seems like the blue nuance is caused by boron nitrate or something during the HPHT process. Isn't boron nitrate like harmful to humans though?

Will probably get it if it's not harmful. Not sure if they do accept returns from Singapore though.

EDIT: Nvm it's sold lol

m-cubed

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the comments guys!
I've did a research and it seems like the blue nuance is caused by boron nitrate or something during the HPHT process. Isn't boron nitrate like harmful to humans though?

Will probably get it if it's not harmful. Not sure if they do accept returns from Singapore though.

EDIT: Nvm it's sold lol

The boron would be incorporated into the diamond crystal structure. It’s not something that’s going to leach out and harm you. Even if it did, boron is not particularly toxic to humans. It’s used in all sorts of household things like detergent.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not an expert but I think it's highly unlikely a diamond will be shedding any atoms of boron or anything else - it's one of the hardest substances we know! :))

I have a 2 carat with blue nuance that I specifically sought out because I actually like it. It appears anywhere from bright white to steely gray to light blue depending on lighting. It is IGI graded as a J VS2 ideal cut. I know some people don't prefer them though. I like lower color range stones and fancy colors, and this just worked for me. Basically, instead of a yellow/brown undertone that most diamonds (natural mined or lab) have, this stone will have a blue body color. In nature, this does happen, but it is extremely rare. It is common with lab stones grown using the hpht method however. I attached a bunch of photos in different lighting for you. It appears that quite a few posts ask about blue nuance, but I have not actually seen any stones posted that have it. Hope this helps you make a decision! 1- indirect outdoor lighting 2- evening outdoor lighting 3- mid day direct sunlight 4- indoor lighting
20200503_141113.jpg received_607527806847044.jpeg 20200704_132712.jpg 20200503_142032.jpg

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
@AllthatglittersIsntgold thank you for posting your beautiful stone!! I have to say, when I read what blue nuance is, I wondered why anyone would find it a characteristic to avoid -- I think it looks really lovely and gives another dimension to a white stone. Perhaps some people think it gives away the diamond as "lab grown", but I don't intend to be shy or sneaky about my lab grown diamonds, I plan to enjoy them as is. I'm knee deep in projects that need finishing and my diamond budget is shot, but I'm really thinking I'll be looking for a blue nuance lab-grown in the future...!!

@AllthatglittersIsntgold thank you for posting your beautiful stone!! I have to say, when I read what blue nuance is, I wondered why anyone would find it a characteristic to avoid -- I think it looks really lovely and gives another dimension to a white stone. Perhaps some people think it gives away the diamond as "lab grown", but I don't intend to be shy or sneaky about my lab grown diamonds, I plan to enjoy them as is. I'm knee deep in projects that need finishing and my diamond budget is shot, but I'm really thinking I'll be looking for a blue nuance lab-grown in the future...!!

Thank you :) as you can see in the pictures, in "normal" lighting situations (like inside a home or store or outside on a relatively sunny day) you can't really see any blue or gray. I've been told the dark gray appearance is moreso an optical illusion with a very well cut stone and that earth mined diamonds that are exceptionally cut will likewise appear dark in certain conditions. It looks like a colorless diamond-- way higher in color than a J stone. I've never had anyone comment on anything but its size. I personally find it interesting and makes it stand out. I hope posting photos will help others who see it listed on their grading reports! It's definitely worth picking one up at some point for a fun piece if you can!

Last edited:

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, so, look at this! I'm not able to see any certs because it's JA, so can't be sure that these are "blue nuance" diamonds, but I think I'm right: look at the difference in the profile colors, and a corresponding trend in pricing! Hard to tell face-up but from the side there are clearly "yellow-tone" versus grey-tone (which probably look blue in some lighting situations). Personally, I'd 100% take the very substantial "blue nuance" discount. ;-) Reminds me of strong/very strong fluorescence in that way (which I am also a total fan of, but results in a slight discount though perhaps not as much as historically!).

1594439856121.png
Side view, and then the same diamonds viewed en face:
1594439883340.png

Oh, so, look at this! I'm not able to see any certs because it's JA, so can't be sure that these are "blue nuance" diamonds, but I think I'm right: look at the difference in the profile colors, and a corresponding trend in pricing! Hard to tell face-up but from the side there are clearly "yellow-tone" versus grey-tone (which probably look blue in some lighting situations). Personally, I'd 100% take the very substantial "blue nuance" discount. ;-) Reminds me of strong/very strong fluorescence in that way (which I am also a total fan of, but results in a slight discount though perhaps not as much as historically!).

1594439856121.png
Side view, and then the same diamonds viewed en face:
1594439883340.png

Bingo! You nailed it. Face up, you honestly will have a hard time telling most of the time after it's mounted. Face down and profile view loose, you can absolutely see it clearly, especially when pictured next to a yellow undertoned stone. It's the difference between white printer paper and super bright white printer paper or a soft white lightbulb vs a daylight bulb.
I also love fluorescence! It's truly a preference thing.
I've seen some comments here on PS diss blue nuance in stones and call them awful and defective, but I honestly think it's a preference and nothing there's inherently bad about it- it's just a property of the stone. All gemstones have properties that affect preference. I don't see why blue nuance would be any different.

Kitty1901

Rough_Rock
I have a 2 carat with blue nuance that I specifically sought out because I actually like it. It appears anywhere from bright white to steely gray to light blue depending on lighting. It is IGI graded as a J VS2 ideal cut. I know some people don't prefer them though. I like lower color range stones and fancy colors, and this just worked for me. Basically, instead of a yellow/brown undertone that most diamonds (natural mined or lab) have, this stone will have a blue body color. In nature, this does happen, but it is extremely rare. It is common with lab stones grown using the hpht method however. I attached a bunch of photos in different lighting for you. It appears that quite a few posts ask about blue nuance, but I have not actually seen any stones posted that have it. Hope this helps you make a decision! 1- indirect outdoor lighting 2- evening outdoor lighting 3- mid day direct sunlight 4- indoor lighting
20200503_141113.jpg received_607527806847044.jpeg 20200704_132712.jpg 20200503_142032.jpg

Your ring is beautiful. This post is exactly what I was looking for. I just purchased a J colored round stone with faint blue nuance and loved how it looked online. My husband is worried that it will look too yellow still. I'm planning on setting it into a white gold setting so I think it should be OK. Showing him your ring pics helped. Thx for sharing

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Your ring is beautiful. This post is exactly what I was looking for. I just purchased a J colored round stone with faint blue nuance and loved how it looked online. My husband is worried that it will look too yellow still. I'm planning on setting it into a white gold setting so I think it should be OK. Showing him your ring pics helped. Thx for sharing

Yay! It has zero chance of looking yellow - there is no yellow body color (unlike mined diamonds, where yellow is the "typical" grade-setting color). It will look as blue as an earth-mined diamond is likely to look yellow, in other words. A blue-nuance J is the same "distance" from D-colorless as a yellow J, but in basically opposite directions on the color wheel. If your blue nuance J had been earth-mined, it would be called a fancy colored diamond... very light blue, or faint blue, or something like that.

I have a G with blue nuance bezeled in white gold and I can't see even a DROP of blue... I have looked, and I don't like it as much as I thought I would, only because it just looks plain ol' white to me. ;-) I am not very color-sensitive, my main ring is a GIA O/P cushion which does look warm though. I would get a J with blue nuance without hesitation. :D I hope you love it!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results