shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile

bearcub907

Rough_Rock
Hi Everyone,

I'm getting ready to buy an engagement ring from Blue Nile. I decided to go the online route bc local jewelers don't have as many options. I Will be buying a round diamond that has good dimensions (depth <62.3, table <58, crown 34.5, pavilion 40.8, no fluro, ex symmetry and Polish, medium to slightly thick girdle). I plan on having a simple round 6-prong solataire 2mm band setting.

I did a Google search on "Blue Nile Experienxe" and I encountered so many negative reviews and horrors stories.

Does anyone have strong feelings against BN or in favor of them to help ease my nervousness to make such a big purchase online?

Appreciate any and all input.

Happy weekend!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. BN is a big company. Therefore, there are more negative (and positive) reviews available, accordingly. I have heard horror stories from other premier vendors as well.
2. BN rarely provides actual photos and other light perfirmance images, except BN signature. This makes decision making tough.
3. Many of BN stones are virtual inventory and oversea. This means there can be confusion and errors when it comes to processing orders. This applies any vendor that offer virtual selection

BN is legit. There are many happy customers here at PS.
I would shop at BN as long as I am extremely selective and price is right. But overall, I think James Allen offers a better package at that level. Those manified super zoom images are really helpful.

Different vendors offer different quality assurance and upgrade policy at different premiums. Which vendor is the most suited for you? Only the purchaser can decide.

As a side note, i would stick with those ideal proportions and other requirements you listed. Also I would only consider VS1 clarity stones, especially if no photo is available.

bearcub907

Rough_Rock
Y'all are awesome! Thanks for the comments! Def helped ease some anxiety. Will def stick to the dimensions and VS1 clarity.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bearcub907|1457240616|4000419 said:
Y'all are awesome! Thanks for the comments! Def helped ease some anxiety. Will def stick to the dimensions and VS1 clarity.

If I weren't clear, SI1/VS2 can be ok. The problem is that you don't get to determine eye-cleanliness for yourself until you actually see the stone in person. If not eye-clean, just be ready to return the stone. VS1 is almost mind-clean level. You can simply look some SI1/VS2/VS1 stones at James Allen, and determine how much "risk" and "inconvenience" you are willing to accept.

susief

Shiny_Rock
I have bought 3 diamonds from Blue Nile over 6 years. They are a very honest company with great customer service (in the sense of bending over backwards to make sure you are happy with the purchase and willingly making changes / refunding if you are not). They have a generous return policy - I have returned items and there has never been any difficulty. I have found the prices to be very good, often significantly better than comparable diamonds from recommended PS vendors (not always of course, it depends what you're looking at).

That said. They are a drop shipper, as has been pointed out, which means they don't have most diamonds in stock themselves (the exception being the Signature Diamond range). They are better now at being able to have diamonds looked at to determine if they are eye clean etc, and can get photos and IS images for some of them on request, but it's not guaranteed. For many PSers this is a complete no-no. You have to do a lot of the legwork in terms of looking at certificates and specs yourself. Also, return shipping and insurance is quite expensive, so buying diamonds to look at and return is a costly business. Agree with sticking to safe numbers and VS clarity.

Also I don't think settings are their strong point, I wish they would sort that out. They do have an upgrade policy but it requires you to spend double on the diamond - this may or may not be a problem for you.

But I've never known anyone in real life or on Pricescope to have an actual "horror story" with Blue Nile. They are pretty safe :))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you get a Signature line diamond, they will all be eyeclean. So you can save money and go happily down to SI1 or VS2. Which I would recommend.

I agree about their settings. But for their stones, I would feel perfectly happy buying from them. Especially Signature Line.

bearcub907

Rough_Rock
i plan on getting a 6-prong solataire with platnum band; super simple like the Tiffany's band.
I've seen many people say BN setting is not the best and now a few of yall have said the same. Would you even recommend BN for simple setting like I will do or better off buying the loose diamond and going to a local store to get the setting done?

Thanks again to everyone! Love this forum, I've learned so much from y'all

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results