shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile vs. Tiffany & Co.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 12/31/2003 2:33:23 PM derekinla wrote:

In this comparison, the BN is 2.4% more expensive. Also, although the BN is not marked as being H&A, it may also turn out to be H&A as many AGS000 often exhibit varying degrees of H&A pattern (get out those idealscopes!!). In any event, the visual diference between the 2 is probably minimal so they both look like winners to me.
----------------

That kind of illustrates my point. Why spend more money to get a stone at BN that isn't KNOWN to be an H&A when you can spend less money and get a known H&A stone. Being that H&A commands a premium, we can then infer that if the GOG stone wasn't an H&A, it would price even lower and would make the BN price even more inflated.

While it's true that their signature series do have the reports, a good bulk of their stones don't, and that's what I ran into when I was trying to buy.

I'm not saying BN isn't a possible option.....it's silly for anyone to disregard a viable option out of hand. But the general claim by bling that BN product is superior......that's a stretch, and a false one at that.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

I agree with F&I - I'd absolutely consider BN...(and I did during my search). Oftentimes in the buying cycle, it comes down to who has what you want. I also don't need every test known to man (Isee, bscope, etc.....) but I *do* want the ability to see pictures of the stone if I request them. I also DO want to be able to speak to someone in person about a stone I might be interested in. (During my queries, it seemed as though the front-line internet clerk was the go-between to "ask the diamond office".....I don't want that in a purchase. I want to speak *directly* to the person who has the stone in hand and can tell me what he sees.)

Derek points out that the return policy is 30 days, and that's true.....but I feel their return period *should* be longer since there is so much information you cannot get about the stone until you get it in hand. BN is also not the only vendor to offer a 30-day return policy.....GOG offers that too, and he provides a ton of info up front. BN's window gives you more time to do the grunt work yourself.

In Stephcola's case, BN had what she wanted, and she was willing to go through a bit of grunt work herself (having to pay up front and then get stone appraised) to get the best deal she could. Because she was willing to engage in a bit of "self service", she got an amazing price on her stone. In her situation, BN was a great fit, and that's the important distinction here. Several choices of vendors means you're likely to find the best fit for you among them.

Like every vendor, BN has its strengths and its weaknesses. I see BN's strengths as 1) extensive inventory, high recognition, and mid-line pricing (less than Tiff's, oftentimes more than other online vendors). I see their weaknesses as 1) unwilling/unable to provide more than basic information on stones, 2) not all stones have grading reports online, so requires more work on customer's part to get further info, 3) buying primarily on specs alone up front, so potential for return and incurring shipping expenses is higher.

Oftentimes, the purchase comes down to 1) who has what you want, and 2) who you're comfortable dealing with.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 12/31/2003 4:17:36 PM aljdewey wrote:

Oftentimes, the purchase comes down to 1) who has what you want, and 2) who you're comfortable dealing with.

----------------

....and buying styles. Some services/things are more or less important each consumer.

BTW, BN did supply a sarin for Stephcola. If I recall it was not one of their signature stones.

Stephcola can chime in w/ her own response; but, she was *very* happy with the level of service provided by BN. She was not happy with some others. She was not that easy too please.
9.gif
If I recall, she caught some heat for it.

Al's right though, it all goes to personal preference.

And to add - I'm a big one for *value*. Price is less of an issue. I do factor in the customer service aspect.

In the end it seems like the strong response about BN had to do w/ Blingslinger *really* high on BN with no other constructive criticism.

surfsupp

Rough_Rock
Hi guys-

Still on the search. Sending the BN ring back to take another shot at it. Trying to decide now b/w goodoldgold/superbcert/aca. From more research, looks like they are all pretty comparable in quality and provide superior information to the BN ring (and in the price range a better cut).

Would like to hear your opinions on the following:
1)
Item Code: AGS-3098102
Price: $15,235.00
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 1.635
Color: E
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.8
Table: 55
Crown Angle: 34.5
Crown %: 15.4
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion %: 43.2
Girdle: 0.9%-1.4% FACETED
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Inert
Measurements: 7.66-7.68X4.66

2)
Carat Weight: 1.52
Clarity: VS1
Color: G
Shape: Round brilliant
Cut External
Polish: GIA ~ Excellent
Symmetry: GIA ~ Excellent
Proportions: AGS ~ Ideal
Cut Internal
Symmetry ~ Hearts & Arrows
Light Return ~ Excellent
crown angle 40.8
pav angel 34.2
Price ~ $ 14,017.
Bank wire discount ~ $ 13,709.

3)
Cash Price: $12,022
Stock Number: 6908665
Shape: Round
Laboratory: AGS
Cert No.: AGS0004493406
Cert Date: 10/20/03
Carat Weight: 1.737
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Measurements: 7.70x7.74x4.78
Depth: 61.9%
Table: 55%
Polish: ID
Symmetry: ID
Girdle: 1.2-1.7
Fluorescence: None
Crown Angle : 35.0°
Crown %: 15.7
Pavillion Angle : 40.7°
Pavillion %: 42.9
Lab Comments: None

1.63 ESI1? or 1.52 GVS2? 1.73 GSI1? Seems like the GSI1 is the way to go!

Thanks for your input!
3.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree, that last one (the SuperbCert?) looks like the winner to me. The price difference is huge, the numbers are very nice and the blend of size, color and clarity for the price is excellent! I almost wonder if that isn't a little too cheap for a stone with that information...hmmm. Do you have a link to things like the Bscope, IdealScope images, etc?

surfsupp

Rough_Rock
mara how awesome you are!

thanks for the quick response! hope i'm on the right path...

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm......providing the 1.73 was indeed eye-clean, I'd personally also go with that. FYI, it's with Dirt Cheap Diamonds......not Superbcert. None of these stones are SC.

That's a HUGE jump in carat weight for less money and strong proportions. Call Jim's place and confirm the color/type of inclusions and that the stone is eyeclean. GREAT deal if it is......FANTASTIC deal, actually!

magna2

Shiny_Rock
If you want to maximize size for the budget then indeed No. 3 else go for the second diamond.

rodent.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I like both #1 and #3. #1 is an E color, white as snow, and has a sweet crown/pavilion combo. #2 is G but a bit bigger, has nice numbers even though I'd prefer a <35' crown angle. But it's still a GREAT value. Another point: keep in mind that #3 will face up just as big as the E/SI 1 due to the slightly higher depth %.

surfsupp

Rough_Rock
What do you think of this pic of the G-SI1 above?

Dscn2281.jpg

surfsupp

Rough_Rock
here's another...

fscopegvs1.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That Scope image shows decent light return but I don't like the blackish gray area under only part of the table in the top left?

Also, the stone looks as though it's not quite symmetrical in terms of where the culet is ...maybe it's just the picture but the culet is off to the left and the bottom arrows look a tad 'squashed'.

indigo

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to respond to all the BlueNile comments by saying that I had a very nice buying experience with them.

I did my homework and knew what I wanted and what it should cost. I searched all the vendors mentioned for several weeks before finding the diamond that fit my specifications and budget on BlueNile. They were very quick to respond to my emails with additional info and held the diamond for me when there was a problem with my credit card payment.
This was very nice after I had spent over a week trying to get info from another vendor (highly regarded around here) only to find that the diamonds were being sold before I could ever get a response. I really TRIED to order from one of the others, but they either couldn't or wouldn't help me find a diamond that fit my specs.
All in all, I found BN to be very professional and easy to deal with. Of course you should shop around, but I wouldn't automatically assume that you can't find a good diamond or a good value on BN.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results