shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile, same setting, different price -> huge inflation

Rough_Rock
While browsing for a nice setting to accompany my diamond, I came accross Blue Nile for its "petite cathedral solitaire engagement ring", 2mm, at 650 USD in platinum. When I proceed with checkout, everything changes when I put in the shipping address, being a European country. Of course I understand I need to pay international shipping, taxes (about 20%) and customs/import duties, but even when I take those into account, the 871 EUR (equivalent to 1000 USD), seems like a hugely inflated price.

Anyone else came across this geographical pricing policy of Blue Nile?

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Re: Blue Nile, same setting, different price -> huge inflati

The same thing happens when I ship to Canada with Blue Nile. Unlike other vendors, they have you pay the taxes, duty etc before they ship. I find this very convenient personally. I have purchased from other vendors who don't charge these fees up front, and I have to pay them when the item goes through customs and/or when the item is delivered. It's not that the price is inflated, it's just the real cost of importing an item into your country. Either you pay up front or you pay on delivery, but you still have to pay those extra costs.

Rough_Rock

No, what you are referring to is not the same.

I am well aware that the price for other countries includes taxes and import duties. For Europe this is about 20-25%. I have no problem with that.

Indeed, when I select the same diamond on the US platform, or UK platform, the price difference is in that range, and perfectly explained.

When I look at their setting however, the same setting costs about 1000 USD, versus only 650 USD on the US platform. For the setting I would need to pay this 50% more! Only half of which can be explained by taxes and import duties.

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade

336|1462341868|4027007 said:
No, what you are referring to is not the same.

I am well aware that the price for other countries includes taxes and import duties. For Europe this is about 20-25%. I have no problem with that.

Indeed, when I select the same diamond on the US platform, or UK platform, the price difference is in that range, and perfectly explained.

When I look at their setting however, the same setting costs about 1000 USD, versus only 650 USD on the US platform. For the setting I would need to pay this 50% more! Only half of which can be explained by taxes and import duties.

Hey mate - perhaps loose (unset) diamonds vs. set diamond jewellery attract different taxes/duty/etc - that's how it is here in Australia - here, diamond jewellery is subject to taxes that loose stones aren't when bringing them into the country.
Would that be the difference?

Rough_Rock

No, I did my homework. They are overcharging for the setting. It is not driven taxes or import fees.

(When I analysed the price impact on stone and setting, I did so for a mounted ring.)

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Have you tried calling Blue Nile on their toll-free number to get an explanation? Have you tried experimenting by choosing a different setting and putting it in your cart to see if the same thing happens? I've ordered many items and have never had the price change for the item itself. Good luck!

Rough_Rock

Indeed, the same thing happens with other settings.

I contacted BN and they confirm that they price discriminate.

In addition to the taxes, our pricing policy varies with different countries and will adjust for different markets.
Please refer to the price shown on the website for the country that you'd like to ship to.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

That's unfortunate :(

Rough_Rock

Especially in an online environment, where the competition is just a mouse click away.

Too bad, as I quite liked this petite cathedral solitaire setting.

del.jpg

Rough_Rock

Can anyone recommend a comparable setting?

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Do you know anyone in the US that you could ship it to? Paying an additional 50% is pretty outrageous if it has nothing to do with taxes or shipping (which is only 20% of the difference you said)

firebunny

Rough_Rock

Thanks for posting this up - I was considering a purchase from them for my wedding band but being Australian, where we regularly get ripped off in this way, I can't support this kind of behaviour from a business. Even if in this instance they are not specifically targeting Australians with this price gouging. Grrrr. Its not even as if they pay taxes in any other countries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results