shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile-Returned Diamonds?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MostlyAmorphous

Rough_Rock
First..Thanks to all on this forumNext..Has anyone returned mechandise to Blue Nile. How did it go? Any hidden issues?I am looking at a few of their diamonds right now. 1st diamond..engagement and all makes me nervous enough but online with no sight is tough.thanks in advance

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi MostlyAmorphous,I don't have first hand experience with returns to Blue Nile, but suggest you read the tutorial here and then read this article to help allay some of your fears about buying online.
http://www.pricescope.com/isitsafe.asp Happy shopping,
smile.gif
lawmax

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Lawmax, this time you're 1 minute ahead of me and your advice is much comprehensive
smile.gif

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
MA, you are welcome
smile.gif
Did you selected the diamond already? Blue Nile has Sarin machine in house so you can ask them to provide you with crown and pavilion angles and then check it here with the Cut Adviser.

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
One minute in the machine-how long for someone to get the job done?

MostlyAmorphous

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys
i am going to go call them now
to see if they will get me a sarin reportis this a realitivly short procedure?

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
MA, table and total depth look good - AGA class 2A. Since there is no ideal cut defined for fancies it is very good indeed.To be completely sure you need abit more info - polish, symmetry, girdle and crown and pavilion angles. Try to get this data from BN. Or get independent opinion.I wouldn't recommend usin HCA for fanscies
smile.gif

MostlyAmorphous

Rough_Rock
Thanks guys
i am going to go call them now
to see if they will get me a sarin reportis this a realitivly short procedure?

MostlyAmorphous

Rough_Rock
SureThe diamond i was looking at had the following known specs.GIA certified
Weight 0.56
Color: E
Cut (according to blue nile): Very Good
Clarity: VS1
Depth: 70.6%
Table: 72%Price $1852I liked the low depth and table
I sort of figured the girdle, polish and so on was good because it was around $300 more than another close stones. Thats why I was waiting to see the GIA report. By the way it has been confirmed that this stone is no longer available.I am trying to stay as close to a 2A as possible. I notice that most princess cuts have deeper tables as well as depths and i was trying to stay from this as recommended by AGS.
Thanks for the helpApparently they are looking into other stones for me with close dimensions but help is well apperciated.

MostlyAmorphous

Rough_Rock
Yeah..I felt pretty good about that perticular diamond, however, it is gone..as in ..with the wind.The hunt continuesI was wondering, the AGA gives a range for all values, within that range are you better with lower values. For instance, they recommend a table between 59% and 72%, are you better off with a table of 70 over a table of 72. Maybe I am putting to much value on numbers, sorry can't help the nerd side of me.
Thanks again and again

MostlyAmorphous

Rough_Rock
I called and they said their sarin instrument is not set up for fancies, only round.I asked if they could find a way to give me the crown height and angle but the lady didn't know. She said she would look into it.The problem is now they say they don't have the rock. I am a little disapointed because the info i had looked good. They have two others which are close .. I don't know maybe i am being too picky especially considering i don't know what i am talking about. I wrote her an email asking how the diamond disapeared considering i had it held on friday or saturday, we will see.Thanks folks

MostlyAmorphous

Rough_Rock
By the way is there any to gain in comparing two diamonds of princess cut using Holloway Cut Adviser as sort a relative measure? I understand it is not designed to be used in this way but i was thinking one may be able to simply compare the diamonds to see which gets a higher score.Just a thought

MostlyAmorphous

Rough_Rock
Hey LeonidThat is really great news. Funny they didn't mention that.I have a diamond in mind, but am waiting for them to send the papers (email) before i buy it. I am excited.. the diamond (well the numbers) looks good so far but i need some more information from them and the sarin data would be great.I will call them and ask about this.The advisor won't work i am looking at a princess cut..which, as i am sure you know, is hard to get if you are picky about the specs.
Thanks

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
MA,Ask them for the crown height information too.
smile.gif
lawmax

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Some experts say that fancies are less predictable than rounds. I think that staying in the center gives you a better chance...

MostlyAmorphous

Rough_Rock
That is what I figured, but wasn't sure.
smile.gif

MostlyAmorphous

Rough_Rock
You guys have been great
If you could check my work
right now i have the :
Clarity
Color
Depth
Tablewhen they send me the GIA report I will have:
Cullet
Fluor
Dimensions (l x w x h)I also need
crown height %
crown angledoes pavillion angle come into play with a princess?Anything else i should ask them for?
Much appreciated

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
MA,Do you want to post the specs on what you are looking for and your budget?Perhaps someone will be able to help you.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Well, since you have 30 days for evaluation and can arrange independent examination all you will risk is time and shipping back cost...

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Hi MostlyAmorphous,I don't think you'll have any problems returning to Blue Nile. I know some people do that and I never heard of any problems. Just make sure you are following their returns rules.leonid

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Mostly Non Crystal Structure,Sorry to hear about your diamond, and believe me I know what your talking about. I have been hunting two princess for customers for a couple weeks now, and I just can't pinpoint the right ones (and I have looked at hundreds).Best of luck in your hunt!------------------
StevL
www.demsjewelers.com
www.eightstar.com

lawmax

Brilliant_Rock
Hi MA,Stay as close to the 2A proportions given here by Dave Atlas. This is the best we have to go by when buying sight unseen.
http://www.pricescope.com/tutor_fnc1.asp I've heard that the table size makes a big difference in the beauty of princess cut diamonds. Some say a crown height over 10% is best. Some are saying that with smaller tables (around 71% or so), a crown height as low as 8% can be very beautiful.Your dimensions will give you the length to width ratio, which is a matter of personal preference.When you get the diamond, you should take it or send it to an independent appraiser like Dave Atlas www.gemappraisers.com. You'll want a second opinion on how the diamond looks, on any inclusions (eye-clean, durability issues), and on how the girdle looks all the way around the stone. The Sarin report will only give you an average number. The points on a princess cut are especially vulnerable to breakage during setting and during wear, so you wouldn't want the girdle to be too thin there. Blue Nile gives you lots of time to get this taken care of which is really nice and you'll need a detailed appraisal if you plan to insure the ring.Keep us posted!
smile.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
MA, If you would get GIA report + Sarin report that should be enough to start with. Yes, princess cut cannot be analysed by the HCA but at least you will know the AGA grade.

MostlyAmorphous

Rough_Rock
One of the reasons i asked was because there are aparently companies who try to reclaim their credit card fees when you return items.I called them (blue nile) and they said that i would get a full refund, however, i was responsible for the shipping back. This sounds reasonable to me.Just figured I would see if anyone had any trouble, but no news is good news. Thanks for the support

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results