shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Nile GCAL-Sig. Ideal Asschers-Big differences

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Even among Blue Nile Signature Ideal Asschers, there can be a big difference in the way the stones look. The photomicrographs, in particular, some looked wonky and some looked perfectly symmetrical. If the stones are Signature Ideal does that mean they are all supposed to look great despite their differences within the Blue Nile Signature Ideal parameters? :read:

druidtime

Rough_Rock
I think it would be safe to say "buyer beware" when it comes to variation of quality on their Signature line.

Do check out those images they give you on the GCAL cert, because on those certs will be the only imagery you can obtain from BN.

I don't want to come off as scathing to BN, but just as there are many many good stones on BN there are also many that are less than optimal. Unfortunately, it seems like their Signature line is not immune from this.

With BN, going with an AGS graded stone or paying close attention to the certifications is the way to go.

I'm sure their Signature line is solely based on paper parameters and not a visual selection. If on the off-chance that it is based on a expert picking out true 'gems' among thousands, perhaps it can be an example of one of those diamonds that would score poorly on the HCA or other metrics, but on the other hand is simply gorgeous in the eye of the beholder.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As far as I can tell, 'signature' in the Blue Nile grading system, means nothing more than that they have exclusive distribution rights to that particular stone and that they chose to hire GCAL to give an opinion on it. I've no idea what 'ideal' means to them in terms of Asscher cuts. As is pointed out above, you are relying 100% on that opinion for info that isn't on the GIA report. It's up to you to decide if this is useful and, if so, is it sufficient. I don't actually know if GCAL will talk to you or give you any additional information about any of the stones they've examined or if they're willing to explain their grading system for Asscher's but I suppose it wouldn't hurt to ask. If BN or any other dealer can't or won't provide you with what you need to know to make your decision, move on to the next dealer. It's a VERY competitive business and there are dealers out there who are much more forthcoming with information and who are willing to offer more assistance in choosing the perfect stone. Not every shopper is looking for the same things.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results