shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Grainline

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What could cause a "single" light blue Internal grainline in a diamond it is at the edge of other clear Internal graining below a tiny amount of Internal reflective graining?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would this be a question more for a scientist gemologist than a diamond vendor or appraiser? Just curious.

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Serg or Leonid?

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pyramid

That’s a difficult one without seeing it.
However there are a number of possibilities, You don’t mention if its internal graining or on the surface. If its internal it could be a grown over impurity, in other words the crystal grew over an impurity while forming. It could also be a micro fracture. Another possibility is a reflexion of a surface radiation patch,

Johan
Melbourne Diamond Exchange ltd. (Australia)

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 2/28/2004 11:41:17 AM pyramid wrote:

What could cause a 'single' light blue Internal grainline in a diamond it is at the edge of other clear Internal graining below a tiny amount of Internal reflective graining?----------------

Hi, Pyramid

Do you see small crack?

Could you send photo ?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you mdx.

Serg

Afraid I do not have facilities to send photo. I can only see it with a 10x loupe and it is internal. I can see no crack. Other internal graining is clear but this one line is light blue, there is no crystal/inclusion unless the impurity has been liquid/chemical it is just blue within the grainline. When light is reflected on the surface I can see nothing there to indicate a crack.

There is a surface grainline and below that is reflective graining below that góing down the crown there is more clear graining and then at the foot this single blue internal graining line.

Serg, did you think it would be a small internal crack?

diamondnovice

Shiny_Rock
When I went to Martin Fuller, he indicated to me that fluorescence is not necessarily uniform in a stone (as evidenced by one of the stones I brought to him). In fact, there can be localized fluorescence. Maybe this is the case with what you are seeing? You state that in regular light you don't see it. Under what lighting conditions is it present?

Just a thought.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondnovice No I think it would be apparent in all lights it is just that it is so small like one grainline so I can only see it under 10x loupe magnification.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Serg?

Afraid I do not have facilities to send photo. I can only see it with a 10x loupe and it is internal. I can see no crack. Other internal graining is clear but this one line is light blue, there is no crystal/inclusion unless the impurity has been liquid/chemical it is just blue within the grainline. When light is reflected on the surface I can see nothing there to indicate a crack.

There is a surface grainline and below that is reflective graining below that góing down the crown there is more clear graining and then at the foot this single blue internal graining line.

SERG, did you think it would be a small internal crack??

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Pyramid,
Sorry, I can no help to you without seeing it.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you Serg.

I know you cannot say without seeing the diamond but I was just wondering about when you asked if there was a small crack were you suspecting fracture filling? It does not appear to be this as it is all internal and on a very straight grainline it appears. Is there however such a thing as other 'natural' impurities in diamond which can cause the color blue in a grainline? I do not want to know types of natural impurities just if there are any which exist which can make the grainline appear blue.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
{bump}

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
maybe mdx answered my question after all.

Serg were you thinking of fracture filling?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
bump

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
<

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 3/1/2004 6:32:37 PM pyramid wrote:

maybe mdx answered my question after all.

Serg were you thinking of fracture filling?----------------

Yes , I have only this hypothesis.

I can not understand how small graining can give any color.

I am not gemologist.
1.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your time Serg. Well there is no fracture open to the surface so it cannot be fracture filling. Unless it is not graining and just some other type of blue inclusion/impurity as mdx suggested.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Pyramid
I found two occurrences with similar description in some of our old records, one had a grown-over impurity that was finely disseminated Graphite that displayed a blue green line and the other was a type B11 diamond with traces of Boron showing blue. Both these descriptions where recorded before cutting.

Johan

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
thank you for that information mdx. I found my loupe today so had a look at the diamond, it is not graining although there is some graining in the diamond it is an actual inclusion and it does appear to have a bluish look to it.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oh and the inclusion does not break the surface of the diamond.

Serg

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 3/3/2004 3:29:14 PM pyramid wrote:

oh and the inclusion does not break the surface of the diamond.----------------

Only for information.

Laser canal can be very small. You can not find some type laser canal by loupe.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Serg

Thank you, I have I believe read that before.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Had an independent jeweler look at the diamond, he says it is reflective graining and due to the position I am seeing a refraction & dispersion of blue on one line only. I am not sure if this is the position I am looking at it from or the position of the graining though as I did not think to ask him.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I edited my last post with an update.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do the experts here think that what the jeweler told me could be correct?

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
"single" light blue Internal grainline

This would indicate a fracture filled diamond. Of course, I have not seen the diamond but that is what it sounds like to me.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks dimonbob. The jeweller said the line is clear it is just the refraction and dispersion which is making it look blue.

P.S. My sister who was with me says the graining was nearby and he was saying there was a feather in that area which was reflecting blue light but that he said it was white and it was just the dispersion colors of the diamond I was seeing. I think she understood what he was saying better than me. The feather with the blue reflection is less than .5mm long.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
dimonbob

Do you have any pictures of fracture filling in a single blue grainline?

The photos I have seen on the internet, the filling just looks blue flashing to orange but in this diamond I am seeing a white inclusion with a hint of blue, no color change to another color.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
After spending some time yesterday looking at my diamond I am now of the opinion that what I thought was a blue inclusion is actually a reflection from the platinum prong showing on the inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results