shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Blueman

Rough_Rock
I am looking at buying a treated blue diamond for a ring but have a number of concerns that it would be great to get help with:
- Can the treated blue diamond ever lose its blue colour and revert back to the yellow/brown colour it was before treatment?
- As the blue diamond started off as an inferior quality (typically SI1 level) and inferior colour does this cause it to be regarded as overall an inferior diamond even after it has been treated and becomes blue?
- Do the major labs provide certificates for these treated blue diamonds and if so what would they say on them?
- What are people's thoughts generally on these treated blue diamonds?

Many thanks

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Most treated blue diamonds are irradiated to obtain the color. It is permanent. They were somewhat off color stones to begin with and the treatment can make them very nice, but not more valuable than they were before. Possibly it makes them sell abit faster, but I don't think it has much effect on sale desireability either.

There other ways to have blue diamonds today. There are man made, synthetic, blue diamonds which are rather pricey and relatively rare. Someday they may be a whole lot less scarce.

I am not sure about hthp treated stones turning a blue color. I know there are blackm pinks, reds, yellow and green. Not sure about blue. Probably somebody has a blue one somewhere, too. HTHP treatment is permanent in color, just like irradiation.

Coloring diamonds makes less desired stones look different and useable. It costs money and you'll be asked to pay for it. If it is worth it, remains up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results