shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue diamond ring (newbie question)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peachface

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend and I were in St. Thomas recently and I fell in love with a ring, which was an emerald cut blue diamond ring with little diamonds around the centre stone. The band is 18k white gold pave setting (not all the way around though). We were told that the total carat of the diamond was 1.33 and the cut of the centre stone was SI.

At the time, because I really loved the ring, I didn''t think much about it but now I''m a bit nervous about the fact that we bought a ring so far away from home and if we paid the right price for it. This is probably not much of information but I was wondering if anybody could tell me the general value of blue diamond (and maybe this ring) so I can find out if we overpaid or not...

Thank you.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
There are natural blue diamonds which are rare and expensive, and there are color-enhanced blue diamonds which are more affordable but has poor resale value. Does yours come with certs from reputable gem labs?

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
How blue? Naturals can be up to 100k/c and more.

peachface

Rough_Rock
No, we know it''s not natural. it was irradiated. It wasn''t a ton of money but enough to make me feel really bad if it turns out that my bf spent money on something that''s not worth that much, especially since we won''t be able to go back to the jeweler. Neither of us really know much of diamond or jewelry.

Thanks.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m not a fancy-colored diamond expert, but I just wanted to chime in with the following things:

-Most importantly, if you find out that the price was not good, is there anything you can/would do about it? Meaning, is there a return policy that you are within? If so, do you even want to return it? Or do you just want to have some peace of mind in knowing that you did not overpay? If it''s the latter, then be careful there - what if we do tell you that you overpaid? It will just ruin the ring for you, at least to some degree.

-Now, to this:
Date: 2/19/2009 12:33:01 PM
Author:peachface
We were told that the total carat of the diamond was 1.33 and the cut of the centre stone was SI.
"SI" is not the cut, it refers to the clarity. It means "slightly included."

That said, there is a lot more information needed to price out a stone. You can''t just input "blue diamond, SI clarity and 1.33ct" and compute a value. You need the carat weight and clarity grade, which you''ve given, but there are also degrees within SI, as well as a slew of other info which is not worth listing out. Simply put, do you have all of the numbers for this stone? A GIA report? If not, you can take the ring to a jeweler to be appraised, but there is a limit to their grading while a stone is mounted.

All that said, this is all that really matters, right?
At the time, because I really loved the ring, I didn''t think much about it
You loved the ring so much that you didn''t ask questions. There is something to be said for that. Especially if returning is not an option (whether through their rules or your own love for the ring), sometimes it truly is best to leave such things alone.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/19/2009 12:45:18 PM
Author: peachface
It wasn't a ton of money but enough to make me feel really bad if it turns out that my bf spent money on something that's not worth that much, especially since we won't be able to go back to the jeweler.
We cross-posted: this is what I was talking about.

You won't be able to return it anyway, so why try to find out if it was worth what you paid? It'll just make you feel bad about your ring, and there's no way to recoop that money. The money issue is a moot point because there's nothing that can be done about it. So what's the point?

Save yourself the heartache and just be glad that you found something you love.

DiamondFlame

Brilliant_Rock
Your BF paid good money to get you what you love, regardless if the item is actually worth less than what he paid for. In my book, that is priceless. So be thankful, treasure your BF and enjoy your gift!

peachface

Rough_Rock
-Most importantly, if you find out that the price was not good, is there anything you can/would do about it? Meaning, is there a return policy that you are within? If so, do you even want to return it? Or do you just want to have some peace of mind in knowing that you did not overpay? If it''s the latter, then be careful there - what if we do tell you that you overpaid? It will just ruin the ring for you, at least to some degree.
There is a return policy but it''s complicated, especially since they are not here locally. I do want to keep the ring. I guess I wanted some peace of mind knowing that I didn''t cause my boyfriend to overpay because to me, that seems worse than me overpaying.

All that said, this is all that really matters, right?

At the time, because I really loved the ring, I didn''t think much about it
You loved the ring so much that you didn''t ask questions. There is something to be said for that. Especially if returning is not an option (whether through their rules or your own love for the ring), sometimes it truly is best to leave such things alone.
You are actually quite right. I think that''s why I haven''t taken it to get it appraised by a local jeweler...

Thanks.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Peachface, I''m with those saying Congratulations!
You must have loved the ring because you picked it out.
There''s absolutely nothing wrong with an irradiated stone if you were told that''s what it was.

GIA does not issue reports on irradiated diamonds, so you''re not going to have one of those.
I agree that the resale value is low, but that''s not a reason to not love what you got.

if you''d like to share the price paid, we might be able to ease your mind, or confirm suspicions about the price.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Just enjoy IMO.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/19/2009 1:05:37 PM
Author: neatfreak
Just enjoy IMO.
Ditto. It would be so difficult to price something like this as there are so many possible scenarios so just enjoy your beautiful ring unless you want to return it and start over.

ring tutor

Rough_Rock
Not a great sign that you were told the cut is SI. SI refers to the clarity (freedom of inclusions detected by a skilled grader using 10X), and should be divided into Si1 and Si2. If you really, really want to know the value, the most expert, objective opinion would be removing the diamond and bringing it to G.I.A. for a color diamond grading report, they would give you all the specs, and then you can take that info into the market and try to find out what the price would be for a comprable gem. Two issues to keep in mind. One is that when GIA comes accross irradiated colored diamonds, they are obligated to lazer inscribe that disclosure on the girdle of the diamond. The other issue is that GIA will not give you a dollar value for your diamond, you will have to explore the market price. The problem with simply going to get your gem appraised is that you need an appraiser who knows enough about irradiated blue diamonds. In terms of "financial recourse", if you paid with a credit card, I would contact your credit card company. They may have a "consumer protection policy".
good Luck,
Ring Tutor
Date: 2/19/2009 12:33:01 PM
Author:peachface
My boyfriend and I were in St. Thomas recently and I fell in love with a ring, which was an emerald cut blue diamond ring with little diamonds around the centre stone. The band is 18k white gold pave setting (not all the way around though). We were told that the total carat of the diamond was 1.33 and the cut of the centre stone was SI.

At the time, because I really loved the ring, I didn''t think much about it but now I''m a bit nervous about the fact that we bought a ring so far away from home and if we paid the right price for it. This is probably not much of information but I was wondering if anybody could tell me the general value of blue diamond (and maybe this ring) so I can find out if we overpaid or not...

Thank you.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Welcome to Pricescope Hillary!
35.gif

ring tutor

Rough_Rock
thank you, great sight, nice to be part of it...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results