carat
color
clarity

Blue diamond - opinions wanted.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
A very nice and valuable stone.

It is a GR1 „blue“ diamond and not a blue diamond with boron like the Hope or Wittelsbacher or Shirley Temple.

GR1 means that the diamond was irradiated- HERE DEF. NATURAL (brown stains) - no stains and the color would be undetermined in the report. NEVER REMOVE THE STAINS!!! The color is heat sensitive - you need an experienced jeweller - otherwise you finally have a colorless stone.

GR1 diamond range is from greenish blue - green blue - blue green - bluish green - green. Depends on the color of the diamond before irradiation (Colorless- yellow).

It is a very rare color course natural irradiation takes a very very long time to produce this color in nature.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At those prices that Japanese vendor is DEFINITELY NOT selling fully-natural Fancy Colored Diamonds!
If they were they'd be WAAAAAY more expensive, and to support that sky-high price they'd come with grading reports from a legit gem grading lab, preferably GIA.

To be considered a Fully Natural FCD two separate criteria must be met:
1. The material must have been mined from the earth, instead of grown in a lab.
2. The color itself must be unaltered from what its color was when it came out of the earth, and not the result of treatment in a lab.

Of course there's nothing wrong with material that was grown in a lab instead of mined from the earth, or earth-mined material that what was treated in a lab to improve color.
But there it lots wrong with the customer buying a stone that is not fully-natural stone and believing it is.
This is the fault of both the seller and the buyer.
The seller (who IMO is committing fraud) is hoping the buyer did not do the necessary homework for buying FCDs.

Fully natural and not fully natural are as different apples and pianos, and their prices reflects this.

If it not being fully-natural is fine with you, then it's fine with you.
Just don't fall for a lie and pay natural prices for not-natural stones.
Get educated, protect yourself.

The stones on that Japanese website did NOT come out of the earth that color.
If they did, they would have been sent to GIA and be MUCH more expensive.

Last edited:

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
But she has included the GIA report.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
All one needs is the GIA report number to obtain a PDF of any GIA report. Then publish it online.
Even in a case where a physical GIA report exists, if there’s suspicious aspects to the offer- they don’t go away.

@Nosean - brown diamonds are irradiated to become blue- not yellow diamonds. Brown patches on natural diamonds don’t disappear under normal jewelers heat. Irradiated diamonds might be valuable compared to….rice…but they are not valuable compared to natural fancy colored diamonds.

just keeping the facts straight.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you're addressing me, my post is in response to the stone in post #19, with no GIA report.
Sorry, I should have stated that in my post.
I can get confusing when multiple stones are being discussed in the one thread.

Last edited:

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
„@Nosean - brown diamonds are irradiated to become blue- not yellow diamonds. Brown patches on natural diamonds don’t disappear under normal jewelers heat. Irradiated diamonds might be valuable compared to….rice…but they are not valuable compared to natural fancy colored diamonds.“

I am not talking about artificially irradiated diamonds.

The brown patches will not disappear after heating but the bodycolor. The CEO of Diamwill showed me a small diamond - color now intense-vivid yellow. The originally green diamond lost the color in the final steps of polishing.

Otherwise I am quite sure you know the GIA article about green diamonds.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

OK- which diamond are you referring to?

The brown patches will not disappear after heating but the bodycolor

The color is heat sensitive

Yes, cutting can and does alter the face up color of natural fancy color diamonds...cutting, not the heat it produces.

Regarding natural green diamonds: although it's generally agreed that the green color comes from long exposure to radioactivity- such stones are NOT considered "Irradiated".
I've never heard anyone make the claim that such natural green diamonds started out as yellow diamonds ( millions of years ago).

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Regarding natural green diamonds: although it's generally agreed that the green color comes from long exposure to radioactivity- such stones are NOT considered "Irradiated".
This is my understanding of it from what I have read and it may have some errors.
Natural: exposed to small amounts of radiation over a long period.
"Irradiated" or treated: larger amounts of radiation over a short period.
This is one way the labs can tell treated from natural by looking at the radiation damage to the crystal.
This is also why you get some where they can not make a call one way or the other.

Yes, you can start with a green rough and end up with a "white" diamond.
Why? the radiation may have only penetrated the outer layer of the stone leaving only the outer crust green.
Cut it away and the green is gone.
The deeper natural green diamond material likely grew under radioactive conditions as opposed to being exposed to it after they formed.
David does that sound right?

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
OK- which diamond are you referring to?

Yes, cutting can and does alter the face up color of natural fancy color diamonds...cutting, not the heat it produces.

I've never heard anyone make the claim that such natural green diamonds started out as yellow diamonds ( millions of years ago).

4F3EB2D1-B447-453E-A978-C536DE471238.jpeg 2B1E427B-526F-4402-95C2-C5D5A28E77FC.jpeg 4D8D93F8-4D4D-4B95-9A4F-B824C332A350.jpeg E335F352-9B33-4842-9B63-AA516E703308.jpeg

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Maybe helpful…..

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
David does that sound right?

In theory, yes, about the cutting and color
I remember when Yoram was cutting for us- the rough would only give you a rough idea as to the color of the finished diamond.
Even fluorescence was not possible to reliably ascertain in the rough.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Again, I ask, which stone are you referring to?

You're conflating issues.
The term "irradiated"- when used by dealers in regards to a diamond, has traditionally referred to a stone bombarded with man made radiation. I do see where the GIA literature you posted uses the term "irradiated" to describe both stones exposed to natural, as well as man made radiation.
Natural green diamonds are, indeed, a super complex subject.

But this thread is about a supposed 1/2ct diamond, graded Fancy Greenish Blue, by GIA, being offered for less than US$9,000
Something is not right in that equation.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think the patches of color and unevenness of color make it cheaper. But I'm definitely not an expert like @Rockdiamond so I defer to him

To again clarify ( it's a very good question!)
A "no excuses" .50ct Fancy Greenish Blue ( VS, no brown patches) could easily fetch $50k+
The I1 aspect could knock (maybe) even $20k off the price. The patches of brown comment....not nearly as much. We're not getting to $9k........

PS- the color of the stone referred to in post 1 was graded by GIA, and it was considered "Even"

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps OP could ask for photos of the stone in callipers to ally least verify if the dimensions match the GIA report.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
What is not right? 9000 is cheap for 0,4 ct in your opinion. Or overpriced? Or a fair price?

I think the pear is nice. My opinion.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
To again clarify ( it's a very good question!)
A "no excuses" .50ct Fancy Greenish Blue ( VS, no brown patches) could easily fetch $50k+
The I1 aspect could knock (maybe) even $20k off the price. The patches of brown comment....not nearly as much. We're not getting to $9k........

PS- the color of the stone referred to in post 1 was graded by GIA, and it was considered "Even"

A 0,5 ct Fancy Greenish Blue with no brown or green patches is „undetermined„ in the GIA report.

OK, not the Dresden Green - it is a historical diamond.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
1660675191858.png
Here's the report. Post #1 of this thread. It's not
"Undetermined". My point ( yet again) is that a price of $9k for the stone described in the GIA report seems suspiciously low.
There do exist Fancy Greenish Blue, Natural ( non treated) diamonds, graded by GIA with NO brown or green patches- they're out there.

Nosean

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ok, let us stop this discussion - I don’t want to waste my time.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Perhaps OP could ask for photos of the stone in callipers to ally least verify if the dimensions match the GIA report.

All good ideas in theory......but...
The main foundation is the reputation of the seller.
Absent that, pictures, and videos, mean nothing.
Take the most care and effort in vetting the seller of any diamond you're interested in purchasing. That's really the main point.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ok, let us stop this discussion - I don’t want to waste my time.

My apologies-I meant no disrespect.
Simple question- a consumer was offered the diamond descibed in the report below for $9k.
I commented that the price is suspiciously low, based on the GIA report- and pictures in post 1 of this thread. I could be wrong- it's definately happened before:)
What is your opinion of $9k as a retail price for this stone?
1660683612562.png
1660683466185.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results