shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue diamond - opinions wanted.

kumasue

Rough_Rock
So I found a diamond that fits WITHIN my super tight budget (which apparently is really low for a blue diamond)

Well so basically I managed to find a greenish blue diamond at a little less than 9000 USD

I get that it's a super deep cut and the clarity is I1. But I'm just happy that it fits the budget.
Is there anything I should becareful of before I drop the bomb?

I've been stalking this forum for UD blue diamonds etc. And I really want a natural instead of lab diamond. Just super happy to find one that fits within my tight budget

fancy-greenish-blue-040ct-ovrt0821gia-.jpg Screenshot_20220805-215749_Samsung Notes.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont really know anything about colored stones but I think its a pretty stone and a pretty color. Its got an etched channel so I
wonder if its been clarity enhanced? I doubt that really matters much pricewise for a colored stone but may be why its in your
budget??? Just a guess. Wait for the experts to chime in!

Any video?

kumasue

Rough_Rock
I dont really know anything about colored stones but I think its a pretty stone and a pretty color. Its got an etched channel so I
wonder if its been clarity enhanced? I doubt that really matters much pricewise for a colored stone but may be why its in your
budget??? Just a guess. Wait for the experts to chime in!

Any video?

There's a video here

I don't think it is if not It'd lower the value when it's already a fancy color grade

I can definitely see the etched channel in the video but honestly it's 0.22 carats face value (according to diamdb.com) so I don't think I'd be able to see it that clearly most of the time?

But yea mainly because budget wise I'm starting to be more accommodating for it lol

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you looking to make a piece of jewelry with it?
If so - what’s your inspiration?

kumasue

Rough_Rock
Its definitely more grey than blue to my eye, although I think the color is pretty.

I can see what you mean.

Sadly it has a extra greenish tone to it so it doesn't look completely blue blue. A pure blue would set me back at least an additional 5000.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Something seems off.....it's way too cheap.
A pure blue would set me back at least an additional 5000.

Actually more like $50,000 .....
Of course, anything is possible...but when a price is far below market ( this one is, based on the pic) it should cause caution.
Also, the presence of Green in a blue diamond, in many cases, doesn't lessen its value.
Green is also a super rare color in diamonds.....

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can see what you mean.

Sadly it has a extra greenish tone to it so it doesn't look completely blue blue. A pure blue would set me back at least an additional 5000.

Yeah, I totally get it. I just worry you wont be happy since it's not blue blue. It's a lot of $$ to spend and be anything other than thrilled. I would personally consider lab stones to get the color I wanted within budget, but I know it's a personal choice and i respect you wanting natural.

kumasue

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I totally get it. I just worry you wont be happy since it's not blue blue. It's a lot of $$ to spend and be anything other than thrilled. I would personally consider lab stones to get the color I wanted within budget, but I know it's a personal choice and i respect you wanting natural.

Yea I'm still in the "lab = fake = no value" loophole.

I personally am unable to accept a lab. I'd rather go for a natural colourless with the same budget than going for a lab

I did wanted to stretch out to get a blue blue but can't imagine spending almost one year worth of my salary on a tiny stone

So yea I think this stone makes me happy overall

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Comparison shopping and what it’s worth is difficult.
I’m no expert so I won’t go there. It’s got a GIA lab report so that’s a plus - do you have any way of vetting the company that’s selling it?

My novice self says you’ve done your research. Your compromises are getting you in the ballpark of what you want. It’s not an investment and assume would be hard to recoup if you would ever want to resell.

My question regarding if you want to set it - is related to logistics of a bench securely setting that girdle and how it may effect the aesthetics of the setting. Whether that’s something that would bother you or not, people vary.

kumasue

Rough_Rock

Actually more like $50,000 .....
Of course, anything is possible...but when a price is far below market ( this one is, based on the pic) it should cause caution.
Also, the presence of Green in a blue diamond, in many cases, doesn't lessen its value.
Green is also a super rare color in diamonds.....

I found a 0.25 carat fancy blue going for about 19K USD

That's twice more than the stone I'm heading after...

I always thought that a color without overtone would be more expensive than one with?

kumasue

Rough_Rock
Comparison shopping and what it’s worth is difficult.
I’m no expert so I won’t go there. It’s got a GIA lab report so that’s a plus - do you have any way of getting the company that’s selling it?

My novice self says you’ve done your research. Your compromises are getting you in the ballpark of what you want. It’s not an investment and assume would be hard to recoup if you would ever want to resell.

My question regarding if you want to set it - is related to logistics of a bench securely setting that girdle and how it may effect the aesthetics of the setting. Whether that’s something that would bother you or not, people vary.

Yes! We had a international call Japan > Singapore.

He's going to get back to me on Monday for it!

I've done some research within Singapore and online stores I guess

(Talore diamond, leiblish, James Allen etc.)
It's not for an investment. Just personally really wanted a blue diamond

I'm not really a professional when it comes to setting so any opinions helps?!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wonder if that brown area in one of the photos is really there - if it’s the patches of color that’s noted on the report.

Have no idea if those inclusions are a problem (especially along the tip) with it being set.

As for the setting you have chosen and going with someone else to make it - only advice I can give is to make sure you see real good photos of stuff they’ve actually produced in this style. And you think their work looks as good as your inspo photo or better. Not rendering photos. Real photos.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wonder if that brown area in one of the photos is really there - if it’s the patches of color that’s noted on the report.

That's what I assumed made it as "affordable" (relatively speaking) as it is.

kumasue

Rough_Rock
Also looking at this diamond from the same company

But for this one it doesn't have a GIA cert to accompany it

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Even if it’s clarity enhanced?
And a patch of brown?
And the green component has no natural skin to test? Or is that only for straight greens?

elle_chris

Ideal_Rock
I checked out their page. Their prices for fancy colored diamonds are very, very low. Something isn't making sense.
They also have them in odd shapes like lips, clover, buddha. That's a trend I've seen with lab diamonds.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I checked out their page. Their prices for fancy colored diamonds are very, very low. Something isn't making sense.
They also have them in odd shapes like lips, clover, buddha. That's a trend I've seen with lab diamonds.

Good point - I didn’t go look
I wonder if the ultra whimsical fancy shapes have GIA reports as well?

Goes back to OP vetting the company itself at this point and them finding how risk adverse they were or were not. IMO.
Don’t know how one would go about validating a GIA report for a stone.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Even if it’s clarity enhanced?
And a patch of brown?
And the green component has no natural skin to test? Or is that only for straight greens?

All good questions!
1) it's not clarity enhanced
2) the "patch" comment is found on many stones of this color.
3) GIA can ascertain a color like this without a "skin patch"

Nothing here would explain the undervalued price. The pics- if trustworthy- also point to a diamond with a clearly blue color.
I've never heard of the seller- which in itself is not proof of anything....but those of us who spend a lot of time here are very familiar with the best known sellers. A new seller popping up, offering stones below market.....for me that's a red flag.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not meaning to rain on your parade but wanting you to be cautious. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for and blue diamonds aren’t cheap. I would definitely do a bit more investigating and would want a return policy in writing.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would definitely do a bit more investigating and would want a return policy in writing.
Speaking hypothetically: If a company isn't on the up and up, a written guarantee isn't worth the paper it's written on.
Vetting the company itself is the first step...anything beyond that won't prove reliable.
For example- if there's a question about a seller's reputation, using their own inventory to justify prices won't provide reliable info......

kumasue

Rough_Rock
Not meaning to rain on your parade but wanting you to be cautious. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for and blue diamonds aren’t cheap. I would definitely do a bit more investigating and would want a return policy in writing.

I'll be paying through PayPal so there's at least some sort of protection attached?

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought I read something where paypal won’t give protection to purchasers of gems/jewelry/precious metals if deemed false or misrepresented.

Read their fine print if that’s your safety net, and possibly use your credit card thru Paypal - but don’t know if that will be a ‘protection’ for you either.

Will the vendor issue an invoice to you thru PayPal? That’s another thing to think of too.
Just food for your thoughts.

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be paying through PayPal so there's at least some sort of protection attached?

Not sure about that. You would need to check with PayPal regarding their policies.

Leigh10

Shiny_Rock
Something to consider (keeping in mind I'm not a diamond pro, but I AM a business pro): @Rockdiamond is correct with his advice of caution. An international vendor that only takes PayPal and no credit cards (to me) screams "NOT LEGIT." A paper "guarantee" is worthless. Caveat emptor (Buyer beware)

And about the stone... I have seen expert cut natural sapphires that look exactly like natural blue diamonds. I understand the desire for a 'natural' stone. Perhaps consider a sapphire. (I'm currently shopping for a the perfect yellow sapphire instead of a yellow diamond.)

Whatever you decide, best wishes for finding a beautiful stone you can enjoy!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results