Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue and red sparkles normal?

Lucylovabubble

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 15, 2011
Messages
5
I have recently bought a D colour, SI2, triple excellent diamond engagement ring. In some natural lighting situations it does not have a lot of sparkle like when the sun is not on it, but then under other lights, when it really sparkles I can see blue, green and orange/red....is this normal? I read somewhere that they call this fire and that means it is a CZ. Is this true?!

With a loop I can see the inclusion (which should be there as it is on the EGL report) this should suggest it isn’t a CZ. I have had a random jeweller put some machine on it (looked a bit like a soldering iron) and he said it is a real diamond but also that the machine can sometimes be off. I was worried he was just saying it was a diamond because he thought my fiancé was trying to claim it as a diamond and the jeweller just wanted to make me happy. But really, our money is shared-I just wanted to know.

Sorry about the long winded question-I’m just paranoid because it is an EGL diamond, anything could have been set in the ring and it just looks too clear to be true.

So really my question is - does coloured sparkles mean cz?
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
And CZs don't have inclusions or lab reports! EGL is a loose lab, but as far as I know they have not stooped to offering grading reports for CZs! 8)
 

Lucylovabubble

Rough_Rock
Joined
Apr 15, 2011
Messages
5
Yeah I know- i'm just being silly....thinking that between buying the diamond and getting it set it could be replaced for a cheaper rock. I guess I'll just have to deal with having a beautiful diamond on my finger!! Thanks for your help
 

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 13, 2008
Messages
8,614
It absolutely does NOT mean its a CZ! It's called FIRE, and it's my favorite kind of sparkle!!! Can we see some pics?

ETA- Yssie, you beat me to it! I was going to link to that thread, it's one of my faves!
 

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
1,664
I've also noticed from my stones that the less color the diamond has, the more color it appears to pick up from surrounding objects such as clothes, walls, etc.
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
21,107
Tuckins1|1307201590|2937697 said:
It absolutely does NOT mean its a CZ! It's called FIRE, and it's my favorite kind of sparkle!!! Can we see some pics?

ETA- Yssie, you beat me to it! I was going to link to that thread, it's one of my faves!
Oh, mine too! I wish I could capture how the stone *really* looks on camera - not just one flash, but dozens :love:


Sparkly Blonde said:
I've also noticed from my stones that the less color the diamond has, the more color it appears to pick up from surrounding objects such as clothes, walls, etc.
Really? How odd, I feel just the opposite - I think my J is much more a chameleon than my E - the E is just always icy! Technically you are right in your observation, but my eyes are insistent on defying this logic, for whatever reason!
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
Yssie|1307216009|2937786 said:
Tuckins1|1307201590|2937697 said:
It absolutely does NOT mean its a CZ! It's called FIRE, and it's my favorite kind of sparkle!!! Can we see some pics?

ETA- Yssie, you beat me to it! I was going to link to that thread, it's one of my faves!
Oh, mine too! I wish I could capture how the stone *really* looks on camera - not just one flash, but dozens :love:


Sparkly Blonde said:
I've also noticed from my stones that the less color the diamond has, the more color it appears to pick up from surrounding objects such as clothes, walls, etc.
Really? How odd, I feel just the opposite - I think my J is much more a chameleon than my E - the E is just always icy! Technically you are right in your observation, but my eyes are insistent on defying this logic, for whatever reason!
I feel the same as Yssie! My J is much more chameleon than my F or G ever were.
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
Lucylovabubble|1307170631|2937524 said:
Yeah I know- i'm just being silly....thinking that between buying the diamond and getting it set it could be replaced for a cheaper rock. I guess I'll just have to deal with having a beautiful diamond on my finger!! Thanks for your help
If you are worried, the way to tell is have a jeweler or appraiser look at the diamond and compare its pattern of inclusions to those indicated on the lab report.
 

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 8, 2003
Messages
5,563
CZs have inclusions but they are bubbles as opposed to feathers (minute fractures) or carbon spots. A trained eye can spot the difference pretty easily. My diamonds, which are all high colors except for one, sparkle every color in the rainbow! Fs, Gs, and Hs, will throw back the whole prism of colors to your eye.
 

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
1,664
Yssie|1307216009|2937786 said:
Tuckins1|1307201590|2937697 said:
It absolutely does NOT mean its a CZ! It's called FIRE, and it's my favorite kind of sparkle!!! Can we see some pics?

ETA- Yssie, you beat me to it! I was going to link to that thread, it's one of my faves!
Oh, mine too! I wish I could capture how the stone *really* looks on camera - not just one flash, but dozens :love:


Sparkly Blonde said:
I've also noticed from my stones that the less color the diamond has, the more color it appears to pick up from surrounding objects such as clothes, walls, etc.
Really? How odd, I feel just the opposite - I think my J is much more a chameleon than my E - the E is just always icy! Technically you are right in your observation, but my eyes are insistent on defying this logic, for whatever reason!
Hmm? Maybe it's because the stones I had/have were are the far ends of the spectrum. A "M" to a "F". The M always seemed like it was just some variety of yellow.
 

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 2, 2010
Messages
1,664
haha, I'm a dork....my avatar is my stone throwing rainbow sparkles! Red, yellow, blue, green and white :)

CameraZOOM-20110521102921.jpg
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    Good Customer Service Goes a Long Way
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    5.5 Carat Diamond Upgrade
    Style File: Julia Roberts
    Style File: Julia Roberts

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top