shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue and Orange gems....which ones and where to get them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Hello everyone!

Very new to the coloured gem thing....I've been hanging out mostly in the diamond section!
9.gif

I am not that savvy with the 'what's what' of coloured gems....hopefully you guys can help me out!

I am looking for two small stones to put on the inside of a ring....just as something 'symbolic'.
For an explaination of it, it's the 5th post down (by me) at this link:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/matching-wedding-bands-separate-from-e-ring.52965/

I am not sure of the size they would be, but small enough to be put on the inside. I know of blue sapphire, and I am guessing that's the best for the job, unless there are other blue stones to consider. Orange, I am confused with....seems there are so many online. Mandarine garnet, Fire Opal, etc....

Do you guys have any specific stone recommendation for either color, and also, the best place to get them? Not quite sure of the size either! :)

Thanks in advance!!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
spessartite garnet and/or mandarin garnet are good choices for orange. they are not heat treated to get color and they are relatively hard. i personally think they are a bit ''soft'' per the moh scale for every day wear but if protected [not sitting high up and secured only by prongs] i think it would work. there are orange sapphires also but i''m not sure if they are natural or are treated to achieve color.

movie zombie

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for writing!
I should look into the orange sapphire thing....that would be neat if they were the same stone!
Hmmmm....

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the obvious choice for the blue would be sapphire but you could also look at spinels. they have a nice deep blue color. for the orange, i would go with a spess/mandarin garnet but if you wanted to have both sapphires for the stones, the orange sapphs can be lovely too.

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
Heya!

Thanks for the info! Are orange sapphires treated to be that color or can they be naturally orange?
:)

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 11/5/2006 8:17:26 PM
Author: StarSpun
Heya!

Thanks for the info! Are orange sapphires treated to be that color or can they be naturally orange?
:)
Hello StarSpun,

I have never seen an unheated orange sapphire. I just looked at a large 6ct heated one that was superbly cut with perfect orange color but the price was $1,500/ct. It looked like a mandarin garnet and I have so many mandarin garnets that I passed on it.

Regards,
Maurice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results