shape
carat
color
clarity

Blue Akoya Pearl

Discussion in 'Pearls' started by Rubymal, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Rubymal
    Shiny_Rock

by Rubymal » Jul 5, 2019
    Anyone have any thoughts on where to get nice quality/ color blue akoya pearls? I saw some on Na Hoku's website but I wonder if their deep blue may not be a natural color? I looked on pearl paradise and saw that their akoya blues looked more grayish/silver.

My birthday is coming up soon and dear fiance has offered to get me a blue pearl ring or pendant so I'm doing my research now! :D

2. AV_
    Brilliant_Rock

by AV_ » Jul 5, 2019
    They are gray-blue, somewhat more predictably blue-ish than other light gray pearls (p. margaritifera) but never butterfly-wing blue like abalone nacre can be, or ink blue like the dark blue mussel pearls (& others - the pigments are there, but many types of natural pearls are mythical - it is unclear if anything but minute pearls exist at all; a hunt left to do) ...

2p

3. Grymera
    Rough_Rock

by Grymera » Jul 5, 2019
    Pearl Paradise offered some lovely vietnamese blue akoyas about 5-10 years ago and I've seen them infrequently offered by other vendors. Consider posting a Wanted To Buy to see if other pearl collectors can provide some options. My strand is a silvery-blue color with pink flashes in the nacre--I've never seen any a deeper blue than silvery-blue in real life.

4. pearlsngems
    Brilliant_Rock

by pearlsngems » Jul 5, 2019
    The Vietnamese akoyas I've seen photos of seem to have a somewhat bluer tone than the Japanese ones.

Pearl Paradise sometimes has the Vietnamese blue akoyas in stock; they have lots of pearls in their vault that are not up on their website. You can inquire.
    Cees Van Oije of Amsterdam Pearls sells them also. See photos of his Vietnamese and other pearls: https://www.instagram.com/cees_van_oije/?hl=en

5. MollyMalone
    Ideal_Rock

LisaRN and Pearlescence like this.
  6. cmd2014
    Ideal_Rock

by cmd2014 » Jul 5, 2019
    Most of the blue akoyas I have seen in person have tended to run silvery blue. I would call Pearl Paradise to see if they have any stronger coloured ones in stock. Pearls of Joy also often carries blue akoya as does Pure Pearls. Might be worth touching base with them as well to see what they have and if they can send you some pictures.

7. Rubymal
    Shiny_Rock

by Rubymal » Jul 16, 2019
    Thanks for all the replies, everyone! I wasn't seeing anything remotely close to what I wanted through the suggested sites so I opted to stick with Na Hoku. But in my search, I did stumble across a black, freshwater bracelet that caught my eye so I have that coming my way soon :)