clarity

Bloody weekend in NYC.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And so the exodus begins...the only positive for me is the rise of home prices in the suburbs. I fear for my kids in NYC.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And so the exodus begins...the only positive for me is the rise of home prices in the suburbs. I fear for my kids in NYC.

I hope it can and will be turned around. Eventually. We have had enough of DeBlasio.

I hope your kids remain safe and well @Slick1❤️

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you @missy I hope you and yours stay safe as well. This is reminiscent of the 70’s-80’s NYC that we well remember. So sad...

No different than life under the dinkins administration. I live in what used to be among the safest neighborhoods in the city. No more.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why are the stores all boarded up downtown? Corona Virus? That doesn't bode well for business in the long term.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why are the stores all boarded up downtown? That doesn't bode well for business.

Not sure if this is a rhetorical question :) ...the boarded up stores are either closed temporarily/permanently due to Covid and many were looted during the civil unrest.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if this is a rhetorical question :) ...the boarded up stores are either closed temporarily/permanently due to Covid and many were looted during the civil unrest.

LOL. I did a check and edited. I am not following CV in NY. What's going to happen to your city?

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL. I did a check and edited. I am not following CV in NY. What's going to happen to your city?

Hard to say. So many are leaving, at least those that can afford to. I don't know how these restaurants, bars and gyms etc. are able to survive with 50% occupancy and outdoor seating, especially when fall and winter arrive.
Like I said above, it is a positive for the property values of the suburbs and possibly for people like my kids who will hopefully benefit from dropping NYC sale/rental prices.
I truly hope NYC can recover though, as most of us around it enjoy the culture and lifestyle living near it provides. I remember as a child being fearful of going into the city. I would hate for that to be the norm again. We had risen so far...

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hard to say. So many are leaving, at least those that can afford to. I don't know how these restaurants, bars and gyms etc. are able to survive with 50% occupancy and outdoor seating, especially when fall and winter arrive.
Like I said above, it is a positive for the property values of the suburbs and possibly for people like my kids who will hopefully benefit from dropping NYC sale/rental prices.
I truly hope NYC can recover though, as most of us around it enjoy the culture and lifestyle living near it provides. I remember as a child being fearful of going into the city. I would hate for that to be the norm again. We had risen so far...

I have to tell you that removal/reduction of LE will only embolden the criminals. I feel for the people who have to try to eek out a living in dangerous conditions.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could not agree more @redwood66
Here's an interesting read on why NYC is dead and, he says, won't recover. I hope he is wrong.

Q

Queenie60

I feel so very sad for NYC. One of my favorite city's in the world. I am glad that I was able to enjoy it for several days last Fall. Hoping that I will be back again in this decade. There's much "cleaning up" to do before I would feel safe again. It's too bad, I was enjoying my annual trips. Our San Francisco is suffering the same sort of circumstances. Condo prices are dropping and people are moving out into the suburbs to flee the violence and homeless that are taking over city blocks.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All liberal run cities will become a warzone.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thats 2 hours of a typical chicago friday night

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys is it really that unsafe or is it an exaggeration like how people tease us that they'll be pecked by magpies, bitten by snakes/spiders or eaten by sharks if they come to Australia.

Things like that can and do happen but it's not like spiders and snakes are waiting to murder you everywhere.

Is it as bad as those articles are suggesting?

I'm always reading stuff that implies if your car breaks down in South Africa, you'll be murdered pretty much right away. I always wonder how true this is.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys is it really that unsafe or is it an exaggeration like how people tease us that they'll be pecked by magpies, bitten by snakes/spiders or eaten by sharks if they come to Australia.

You tell me!...This been going on for over 70 days now.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
And here I thought it was still fireworks. I feel like crimes always increase in the summer. Real estate prices haven't suffered yet. A friend just bought a small place for 3.4 million in park slope. I think 3 bedrooms and 1.5 bath with a tiny yard. Rent haven't increased this year. So still ~3k for a 2 bedroom in an okay area. I didn't keep up with the news and didn't realize there were shootings so close to me. I've been jogging at 6:30 am most mornings. I still see babies and kids out playing until 10 or 11 pm. Everything seems normal to me. I didn't realize there was an increase in shootings until I opened this thread :eek2:

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Things like that can and do happen but it's not like spiders and snakes are waiting to murder you everywhere.

I'm always reading stuff that implies if your car breaks down in South Africa, you'll be murdered pretty much right away. I always wonder how true this is.

Yes, it’s that bad. Real estate prices in the city are down substantially if you even get an offer. I live in a neighborhood that hasn’t had any crime of note since Giuliani cleaned things up 20 years ago. An elderly shareholder was robbed and beaten in front of our building about 6 weeks ago. The only reason the savage stopped was because our super’s son heard what was going on and intervened. my husband tended her bloody face. The police came and said she was the third victim within a two block area in the prior 10 minutes. Thank,you, catch and release. Our local Korean grocer closed because thugs would come into his shop and take what they wanted, and then rob him. Our mayor does not consider such actions to be crime. I no longer wear my jewelry when in the city and don’t walk my dog alone after 9pm. My best friends son lives just north of Washington square park. The peaceful protesters painted graffiti all over his building and set the front of his building on fire. The doormen barricaded the entrance to stop the protesters from forcing their way in.

Yes, it’s that bad.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my son lives in Clinton Hill area of Brooklyn, he says it's fine, he's seen protesters several months ago.. he jogs weekly through Underwood Park, my nephew and wife and 4 kids live across the street from him, my nephew owns a brownstone and they don't lock their front door when they are home, it's beautiful, now this is Brooklyn. I have a gf who has a pied a terre up near Columbia, she has no problems she says.

I lived near Yankee stadium in the 70s and THAT was a bad neighborhood, going downhill as much of the South Bronx did.

I am not convinced the city is dying, corona virus has had a much larger impact on the city than any protesters marchers.

I think NYC is a lot safer than when I was a kid.

It's true rents are declining and people are moving to Westchester and the Island etc, I believe things depend on if businesses call in employees, my son has no date to return to the office in Manhattan but he said it won't be at least till next April..

I had high hopes for DeBlasio but that was a mistake.. he's terrible sadly.

I can only go on what my son says, my nephew has a house in the Catskills that he and kids and wife go to every weekend.. His business is in PA, his wife is working from home and the older 3 kids are doing school on line and they have a toddler.

I think a lot of the city is boarded (the city as in Manhattan) up because of covid..

Shootings up rapes down.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here I thought it was still fireworks. I feel like crimes always increase in the summer. Real estate prices haven't suffered yet. A friend just bought a small place for 3.4 million in park slope. I think 3 bedrooms and 1.5 bath with a tiny yard. Rent haven't increased this year. So still ~3k for a 2 bedroom in an okay area. I didn't keep up with the news and didn't realize there were shootings so close to me. I've been jogging at 6:30 am most mornings. I still see babies and kids out playing until 10 or 11 pm. Everything seems normal to me. I didn't realize there was an increase in shootings until I opened this thread :eek2:

Yes by us too. Real estate prices are not yet suffering. However there were 2 shootings only a block away from us in the course of a few days. My girlfriend who lives in our building said she heard them and thought it was a car backfiring. It feels less safe to me but we are not living there at the moment so I only know what I read and hear from friends. But the RE market by us is still good.

I am hopeful we can and will turn this around but not any time in the near future. IMO NYC will come back but it will take years.

Yes, it’s that bad. Real estate prices in the city are down substantially if you even get an offer. I live in a neighborhood that hasn’t had any crime of note since Giuliani cleaned things up 20 years ago. An elderly shareholder was robbed and beaten in front of our building about 6 weeks ago. The only reason the savage stopped was because our super’s son heard what was going on and intervened. my husband tended her bloody face. The police came and said she was the third victim within a two block area in the prior 10 minutes. Thank,you, catch and release. Our local Korean grocer closed because thugs would come into his shop and take what they wanted, and then rob him. Our mayor does not consider such actions to be crime. I no longer wear my jewelry when in the city and don’t walk my dog alone after 9pm. My best friends son lives just north of Washington square park. The peaceful protesters painted graffiti all over his building and set the front of his building on fire. The doormen barricaded the entrance to stop the protesters from forcing their way in.

Yes, it’s that bad.

Ugh that is just awful. I am so sorry @rocks. :( I think I can guess where you live because my good friend lives in that neighborhood and thanks to our awful politicians it is a freaking mess. While things are not good right now I am hopeful things will get better in the future. Your neighborhood will survive and thrive once more. As will NYC overall. I believe that in my heart. We need strong and smart politicians to come in and take over and clean things up. It can be done. It is not too late.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes by us too. Real estate prices are not yet suffering. However there were 2 shootings only a block away from us in the course of a few days. My girlfriend who lives in our building said she heard them and thought it was a car backfiring. It feels less safe to me but we are not living there at the moment so I only know what I read and hear from friends. But the RE market by us is still good.

I am hopeful we can and will turn this around but not any time in the near future. IMO NYC will come back but it will take years.

Ugh that is just awful. I am so sorry @rocks. :( I think I can guess where you live because my good friend lives in that neighborhood and thanks to our awful politicians it is a freaking mess. While things are not good right now I am hopeful things will get better in the future. Your neighborhood will survive and thrive once more. As will NYC overall. I believe that in my heart. We need strong and smart politicians to come in and take over and clean things up. It can be done. It is not too late.

I’m sorry to hear that the violence has reached your neighborhood. We live in the upper east side. People used to joke about life here being “suburban”. Quiet and neighborhood like. We need a Bloomberg/ Giuliani in the mayors office.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry to hear that the violence has reached your neighborhood. We live in the upper east side. People used to joke about life here being “suburban”. Quiet and neighborhood like. We need a Bloomberg/ Giuliani in the mayors office.

I so agree. And I’m sorry about what’s happening in the UES.

Say what you (collective you) will about Bloomberg and Giuliani but life was safer under their administration.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Greg didn’t like Guiliani. According to my DH he was a borderline dictator. My DH does admit though life was safer with him in charge.
Like Pinochet if Giuliani could get away with death squads he would use them. (JK). And he made the trains run on time. Lol.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thats 2 hours of a typical chicago friday night

My cousin retired last year. He and his wife just sold the house they had lived in in Connecticut for decades and moved to Chicago. One son had relocated there with his wife and they had a baby. Then after their daughter got married she and her husband moved to Chicago from Detroit. I have never been to Chicago but my extended family seems to be relocating from here (suburban Connecticut) to there. It is colder there than here in winter and you all claim it is violent. What is the great draw?

I mean, I think I can answer that. Everyone followed one son and daughter-in-law who got great jobs in Chicago. I am thinking of Bayek being in Texas. People want to be near their grandchildren.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I so agree. And I’m sorry about what’s happening in the UES.

Say what you (collective you) will about Bloomberg and Giuliani but life was safer under their administration.

Was Bloomberg the really rich dude who only took $1 as his salary?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results