shape
carat
color
clarity

Blinging up shoulders of a catherdal style

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I have cushion halo with a round center that is set in a cathedral style. It has a plain band and shoulders with no pave detail. Id love to add a little something to the shoulders and wondered if its possible to do that without remaking the ring (that is not an option). Would it be possible to inset baguettes maybe or even some miligrain with a couple of larger diamonds?

Anyone know what would be possible to do to bling up the shoulders without remaking?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Do you have pictures? It might be possible to set stones in the metal but it would help to see what the shoulders look like.

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Do you have pictures? It might be possible to set stones in the metal but it would help to see what the shoulders look like.

Hey Christy

It’s a pretty standard cathedral setting. It’s 2.5m tapering to 2mm towards the ring.

6860199E-22E0-4AC9-90BD-42E663BF8CE1.jpeg 20FB5196-7F3A-4747-AA01-47F9FA3617AD.jpeg

I’d love to do something like this gorgeous ring belonging to a PS’er (can’t remember who), or even just inset baguettes.

103116D5-D321-4F3D-8F88-7369E1CEF806.jpeg

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Lisag103 -

You can do one of two things to tart up your ring's shank. You can either use the existing shank, in which case anything you do will need to be the same shape as the existing metal (so that rules out the CVB design you posted, or any other design that isn't the same as your existing shank), or you can have the whole head re-shanked. Re-shanking could be done by most competent jewelers, but I'd suggest a very experienced jeweler to get that level of detail if you want diamond inserts etc. You'd also need a jeweler willing to work on pieces not their own. To that end, I'd suggest David Klass Jewelry in LA. They will assist you in shipping your ring to them and will ship back to you when done. Many of us here on PS have used them (I use them prolifically, tho not exclusively) and you'll find many threads on their work here.

My first thought, tho, was to go to CvB, who did the ring you pictured, but I'm not sure if she would offer that service - I've never heard of it, anyway, tho that's not definitive.

What you *could* do, if you didn't want to re-shank, would be to do pave diamonds up the existing shank, do migraine around the pave section (like the ring you posted) and add platinum wraps - also like the ring you posted. It would be tapered, rather than reverse tapered (ie in the photo, the way the band expands near the head is called a reverse taper), but it would have a similar vibe.

I hope this helps!

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I would think some small diamonds could be channel-set . . . love the sapphire rondelle n the ring above. Such a great design feature, I think it adds balance to a ring. Like having beautiful eyebrows.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I agree with @mrs-b and was going to suggest you contact David Klass. He's done all kinds of tweaks, repairs and changes to existing rings for me. You could send your photos and see what was possible. It looks like you have enough metal width and thickness to add diamonds.
20220527_100940.jpg Screenshot_20220527-101141_Gmail.jpg

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
@mrs-b @CHRISTY-DANIELLE

i should have mentioned I’m not US based so using the likes of DK or CVB (which I would love!) is not an option. The customs on the return ring would render it too expensive!

I also don’t want to reshank the whole thing, I only had it made in Jan. The jeweller who did it (I have limited option!) just didn’t get my vision and I was struggling to communicate what I wanted. I didn’t have faith they would do a go job on anything other that a standard design and I was worried they would pull the job so I just went with a plain shank! Oh how envious I am of all the great benches ye have access to!

I knew I didn’t want standard pave that a lot of rings have as I have a 3mm diamond wedding band and they compete to much but I like the idea of one or two larger set diamonds!

@mrs-b I like your idea of doing miligrain with cuffs/wraps.

@Ibrakeforpossums I think channel set could be a good option as well and thanks to @CHRISTY-DANIELLE for the photoshop. It gives a good idea!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Which country are you in, @Lisag103 ?

I’m in Ireland. I’ve enquired about using US based designers before and the issue is that I’d end up paying customs on the ring when it was sent back because the full price would have to be listed for insurance purposes. I wouldn’t mind that if the ring is from scratch but not when I’ve already paid VAT on my ring!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you thought about stacking your ring with diamond bands, countered so they appear to add diamonds to your shank?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m in Ireland. I’ve enquired about using US based designers before and the issue is that I’d end up paying customs on the ring when it was sent back because the full price would have to be listed for insurance purposes. I wouldn’t mind that if the ring is from scratch but not when I’ve already paid VAT on my ring!

Yes, I understand. I just asked because I wondered if you lived somewhere where other PSers might be able to refer you to a good jeweler for your project.

I'm pulling blank on Ireland, tho.....

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
Have you thought about stacking your ring with diamond bands, countered so they appear to add diamonds to your shank?

Nala that was my original plan. I have a 3mm diamond wedding band and this was the main reason I didn’t want pave as I don’t like when there are too many differing diamond sizes going on!

This is my current set but that plan shank is mocking me.

02DCF7C3-F54C-4C48-92CC-7264D605CC14.jpeg

@mrs-b there are slim picking here to be honest with you! Custom jewellery is not a big thing here at all. It’s all b&m stores, even the main online suppliers don’t deliver here! The joys of living in the emerald isle!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the plain shank! I meant 1 ring on each side, countered maybe. You might be able to slim down the plain shank and sounder on the diamond bands.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ohh! @nala has a great idea. Maybe polish the shank to be softer, maybe knife edge and wear a diamond band on both sides? Just a thought. Pretty set!!

Lisag103

Shiny_Rock
@nala @Slickk

I do have two thinner diamond bands (I’m using one as a spacer at the moment) here is what it looks like with both. (Bad lighting but you get the idea!) D2E74488-CBDE-453C-8ECA-A11D35D9D597.png

I think getting a second 3mm might be more proportional. I’ve also a considered doing a larger diamond band or a coloured band for a pop but can’t seem to settle on anything!!!

I like the idea of softening the shoulders or thinning the band a smidge, I think miligrain or cuff could add the bit of interest I’m looking for but I won’t rush into anything because it’s fine as it stands (well to everyone except this PS’er, iykyk ha ha) so I’ll make sure of the direction I want to go before I lock in.

Thanks to everyone for your advice.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results