shape
carat
color
clarity

Blank slate--need ideas

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Holy

Rough_Rock
I have a few problems with regard to the proposal: (1) I'm a smart guy but pretty low on the creativity scale when it comes to a "blank slate" situation; (2) she knows it's coming. There is no surprise. She knows everything about the ring, even its anticipated shipping date and arrival date (slipped by one day). And she knows I post on these forums so she might even see this. And we are not going to wait for the proposal because we are moving ahead with marriage counseling, wedding plans, and so forth (no rush to marry but no need or desire to wait unnecessarily either). To make her wait even one day for the proposal would be unnecessary and maybe even a little cruel (gives her one less day to tell and show family and friends, especially with the holiday season upon us).

She was hoping that it would be by the water, but that just means that it's a total giveaway when I ask her to dinner at a place by the water.

I don't feel obligated to make a big show, and my time constraints limit me from doing something huge like arranging for a public proposal at a hockey game (and that wouldn't be "us" anyway). Thanks, PSers!

oliverOSU

Rough_Rock
I would just say (and I am no expert, I am trying to figure this proposal stuff out too) that since surprise is out of it, you just try and make it memorable and really "wow" her. I figure it''s not like your wedding day is a surprise, you know what''s coming up as she walks down the aisle, but it''s still special because you make it special. Also, she might know when and where it''s going to happen, but she doesn''t know how. I don''t know what type of water you''re referring to, or what the weather is where you are, but you could invite her to dinner at a place by the water, she''ll start thinking it will happen at dinner, but instead you can make a sidetrip to a place you set up earlier with friends, maybe a gazebo by the water or a pier, dock, etc., with a table set up with a mini bottle of wine/champagne and candles, flowers, etc., something like that?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t think a proposal has to always include dinner. My DH was in the same situation as you. I knew it was coming (knew what the ring looked like) and if he had planned a nice night out or a trip I would have known what he was up to. I think it is best to catch her off guard if you want it to be a surprise. For example tell her you want to take her out to dinner on x day but propose a few days early.

findarock

Shiny_Rock
I am also looking to take the BIG step, she knows that it is coming but not when and all the other particulars.
Does it have to be a surprise? Depending on what you think I would take her for a boat ride, or something by the water..but no ring.
Then take her to dinner by the water, maybe even flip it around and give her the ring before the boat ride and then dinner etc.
let me know how it goes?

dmbfan

Shiny_Rock
can you incorporate your proposal with some wedding plans? Not sure if you have found the place where you are getting married, if so maybe set something up there and try to surprice her. Where are you located? you say you live by the water.

Holy

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the ideas. It is done and it went quite well (Thursday evening, Nov. 30). Kind of a weird story to tell. I''ll try to get around to posting it soon. The ring from Good Old Gold looks incredible. Now that I have seen it in different lights, it looks huge. My gal was right--she didn''t need one that big! But I couldn''t help myself. She had tried on a 0.70-carat at Tiffany''s and said it was fine. Even a 55-point stone we saw at a Charles Koll looked adequate. But I got her a 1.158 H SI AGS0 H&A stone. The outstanding cut makes all of these stones look monstrous. I joke with her and say, "That''s so gaudy!"

dmbfan

Shiny_Rock
congratulations then.... you''ll have to share the story

Holy

Rough_Rock
It''s posted as a new thread. Thanks again!

findarock

Shiny_Rock
Congrats Holy, all the best!
I know that this is thread is complete but I am still thinking of ideas and was wondering if you could elaborate on how you would include wedding plans with the proposal. I was thinking about possibly having dinner at the place(sorry about that Tacori:)she has talked about having her Dream wedding and then say do you think that we should ask about available dates?

Holy

Rough_Rock
The wedding is complete! Actually, it was supposed to be a private affair, but it ended up being a very nice small ceremony at my, now our, house, in the back yard. We planned it in 8 days from when we decided to do it then. Our friends did so much for us at their own expense, and we didn''t even ask them for it (cake from our friends; flowers from her family; food bought AND prepared by our pastor, who officiated; side dishes from my family; etc.)!

We are still planning a "real" wedding and reception, but still small-ish (50 or so) in the early spring. But since this one was such a hit, the "need" for a bigger one is fading; also, we may do something very similar but just scaled up. My bride was setting her sights low, dollar-wise for her wedding dress (thinking at first she''d just wear something out of the closet), since she''d get the "real" wedding dress later for the "real" ceremony. But she bought something for less than a few hundred bucks, still thinking she''d get something more later. But having worn it, she loves it, so she thinks she''ll just just wear the same thing again later.

So we defied the wedding industry and cheaped out and had a great wedding and plan to do so again in a few months!

diamondhunter10

Shiny_Rock
congrats Holy!
I think that it is great that you got everything that you wanted and it didn''t cost you an arm and a leg.It''s wonderful to hear that your wife found a dress that she loves so much that she will wear it again if a "bigger" ceremony ever occurs.
Would love to see the sparklie diamond that you bought?

Holy

Rough_Rock
We are eager to post pics of the awesome 1.158 AGS0 H&A H SI1 from Good Old Gold (even the inclusions are in out-of-the-way places) but neither of us has a digital camera--waiting for friends or development of our conventional film. My sister-in-law took some awesome digital photos (they look like they''re out of a magazine advertisement) of our simple platinum wedding bands from e-weddingbands.com, but not the engagement ring.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results